Search results

1. W

Ebonizng and Watco

Just finished turning a nice oak salad bowl that I want to put an ebonized treatment on. I make my own solution with vinegar/steel wool. Because this is a salad bowl, I would like to put an oil finish on it and my go to is Watco natural. I understand the ebonizing solution needs to dry...
  2. W

Turning flaming box elder

I scored some nice sized FBE today and I am undecided as to the orientation when I turn this into a bowl. I don't know if it is true of all FBE, because this is the first I have ever had, but my log has a circle of color between the heart wood and sap wood. I am not sure if the bottom of the...
  3. W

Turning Magnolia

I scored some Magnolia today and have never turned this species. It looks to be pretty wide grained and does not have much character. I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have turned it.
  4. W

Crepe Myrtle

I socred some crepe myrtle today but have never turned it. Most of the pieces are 6-7", but a couple may be big enough to make a small bowl. Anybody in the community ever turned it, and if so, what does it look like?
  5. W

Pitch/sap build up on Band Saw Blade

Like the title says, I have a signifcant build up of pitch on the inside surface of my band saw blade. I have not removed the blade, but suspect the build up is on the tires as well. How do I remove this? I have used WD-40 in the past successfully to remove pitch from table saw blades, but I...
  6. W

Robust Lathe near Charlotte

My dream lathe is a Robust and I am working toward that goal. I am not sure if I want an American Beauty or a Sweet 16, but I have never laid eyes on a Robust lathe of any configuration. Just wondering if there are any owners within reasonable driving distance of Charlotte that might be...
  7. W

Bugs in my bowls

I am twice turning wooden bowls from wood that has been given to me. Once turned, the end grain gets coated with Anchorseal 2 and then put in to my drying box, a converted refrigerator. I have noticed the dreaded sawdust in some Hickory I just turned and actually ran into couple of larvae...
  8. W

How to stop rust on lathe accessories

I am learning to turn both green and dry wood into bowls. I am having a problem with lathe tools, particularly my four jaw chuck rusting from the water in the wood. I spray my lathe bed with WD40, stopping the problem there, but I don't want to use oil on the chuck for fear of contaminating...
  9. W

Good customer service

I use Olson blades exclusively on my BS. I recently had a 3/4" blade that was just too short to go on the wheels. I tried everything, but it was just too short, I called customer service, explained the problem and had to send them a picture of the problem, but they shipped me a new blade at...
  10. W

Black Cherry Blanks

I just returned from PA and was able to scarf a recently cut log that I have turned into bowl blanks. I have more than I can use and will sell them for $20.00 each. They are cut into 10" rounds and I have applied Anchorseal2 to all surfaces in addition to shrink wrapping them. Thanks Wally
  11. W

Preserving green bowls

I am going to be turning some green, Black Cherry bowls. I have always used the shavings/paper bag, wait six month procedure, but I am wondering about coating the ruffed bowls with Anchorseal2 before putting them down for their nap. Anybody ever done this and, if so, what was your results...
  12. W

Preserving bowl blanks

I have an opportunity to get some logs that I will turn into bowl blanks. I have done this before and used latex paint to coat the ends. I am ready to step up to Anchorseal and hope that it does a better job of keeping the ends from checking. My question is this: Would it be better to...
  13. W

Now what?

My latest project has a problem. I am making a simple bridle rack for the stables where I ride. The wood is Oak which is many years old and lives in my shop which is climate controlled year round. I used Minwax stain/sealer, let it rest for 10 hours and them applied Minwax poly. It is...
  14. W

Fence Alignment

There is another thread on the forum about a fellow having trouble burning wood as he cuts it. Several responses were made concerning fence alignment and that raised a question in my mind. First let me say that I am not having any problems, but I am always willing to learn. I was told or...
  15. W

Traveling Trailers

A couple years ago, this forum promoted a few trailers that traveled to various sites and promoted woodworking. One of the activities was turning pens. I have a box of accumulated pen planks that I would like to ship to somebody if that project is still ongoing. I realize it may be...
  16. W

Western barnwood wanted

I am looking for barnwood commonly seen on old buildings out west. Their wood ages different than eastern wood and becomes a golden to medium brown while our aged wood turns grey. I don't know if this is because of the sub-species of wood, usually pine or because of the dry conditions and low...
  17. W

M J Splitter free

I have a new M J SPlitter kit, complete with installation instructions, for thin kerf saw blades that I am never going to use. MJ distinguishes between regular kerf (green) and thin kerf (yellow), so please make sure you are using a thin kerf blade. Free to the first person requesting it per...
  18. W

My most frustrating tool

I am a little embarrassed to post this, but I suspect that we all have a tool that just seems to fight us at every turn. Mine is a 25" Woodtech dual drum sander. I have a 20" planer, so this machine is used just to flatten boards and panels and save hours with a belt sander. I just cannot...
  19. W

Grendbaby's hope chest

I have been a lurker here for many years and a wood butcher for longer than that. A friend gave me some walnut that had been cut by his grandfather in 1962 on an old circular mill and I have been looking for a good project for it ever since.. My nine year old Grandbaby came to me and asked me...
  20. W

Free Crepe Myrtle

I cut down some old Crepe Myrtle Trees on a property I just purchased. Who plants a tree directly ii front of a window anyway? Being offered free to anyone who wants too play with it. You would have to pick it up in either Locust or China Grove. PM me if interested.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS