Search results

1. W

Pin Nailer

X3 on the Ryobi. Has worked great.
  2. W

Negative rake scrapers?

Having seen the hype about NRS, I bought a cheap Benjamin's Best standard scraper and shaped my own. They do work, but my go to tool is a standard scraper tilted as noted. If shear scraping roll your tool so that the blade is 45* to the surface while maintaining the 15* downward tilt.
  3. W

Finishing/ sealing ROUGH sawn cedar

I have used a garden sprayer successfully on things like this. You will use much more product with a spryer than with a brush or roller.
  4. W

Cleaning Up Wood Glue In Bathroom Sink

I use my shop bathroom sink regularly to clean up glue brushes. I clean it with a product called soft scrub and one of those white sponges that my wife seems to love. Works pretty well. The roses won't hurt a thing either.
  5. W

Robust American Beauty Lathe for sale on Winston Salem FB MP

Keep in mind that this includes a Rikon grinder with 2 CBN wheels, what looks like a robohippie tool rest and a caster kit. I paid over 11K for my AB which did not include the caster kit, and there is value to the extras. If it is well cared for, it may not be too far off the mark.
  6. W

Turning out the next generation

The light sabers are cool and I see this as a project for a young man at our church that wants to learn woodworking. How was the red "beam" done?
  7. W

Turning Novice Looking for Recs for Sharpening and Lathe Parts

I understand tight budgets...don't we all:-) but I am an advocate of getting a CBN wheel as soon as you can afford it. Your grinds on our tool will be much more consistent and you will take considerably less metal off your tools each time you sharpen them. Best place I have found for quality...
  8. W

Oak? Identification

Or maybe spalted Poplar...However- not Oak
  9. W

Charlotte Saw and Knife Has Moved

WOW! Literally in my back yard. This is great news for me.
  10. W

19" Texas Cedar Elm Platter

Beautiful. I can see why this one did not stick around long.
  11. W

Sycamore Maple Platter

Beautiful work...no surprise there. What are the dimensions on this piece?
  12. W

Woodturning Beginner

When I transitioned from carbide to HSS, I watched Ken at Turnawoodbowl.com. I found his teaching methods to be better than average and he has videos on YouTube that cover about every aspect of turning bowls.
  13. W

Woodturning Beginner

If you can find a local turning club, you may be able to hook up with a mentor who will improve your learning curve substantially.
  14. W

Easy In-situ Light Pipes

Thanks for the info Joe. Any plans for you to show us the entire project when you are done?
  15. W

Who sez Sweetgum is useless!

Dirk- Wish you were closer, I would be all over that offer.
  16. W

Mineral Oil

I have used Amazon for food grade mineral oil. No problems with the shipment.
  17. W

how would you?

Use a brass of even wooden drift in the lug of the slider and tap gently at first. Try both directions,, both up and down. Any movement is a positive thing and just keep working it both directions until you get it moving freely.
  18. W

cherry question

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it may not have really been Cherry to start. I have only ever know black Cherry (that's all I have ever worked with) to get darker with exposure to UV light. After years it approaches an almost maroon color. Hopefully others will chime in and prove me wrong.
  19. W

how would you?

Let us know how you make out.
  20. W

how would you?

There are two types of head/foot bolts that I ma familiar with. both are in the jamb of the door. One type "flips" over to disengage the bolt, the other type simply slides up or down into a hole in the head/sill. If it is the flip side, liberally spray with any penetrating oil. I prefer a...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS