Search results

1. Gary_C

Newbie Carver

Got my Woodcraft sales flyer and noticed they had carving knives on sale. So I bought a small handful of tools and a couple blocks of basswood and I’m going to give this a try…
  2. Gary_C

Damaged blade on Bandsaw?

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation...
  3. Gary_C

Damaged blade on Bandsaw?

I have a Rikon 14" Band Saw. One of the green ones right before they switched to blue. I haven't used it since last fall when I had a bit of a mis-hap. I was sawing some tree branches into smaller segments that would fit into my little fire pit. Heard a bang...maybe hit a knot...the wood kicked...
  4. Gary_C

Beginner Q - How to make a Trivitt?

Hi Guys...After a long layoff from my woodworking I'm getting back at it again. This is probably a simple project for most of y'all but looking for suggestions how to attack this one. I have four custom made tiles...they were my father's from the 1960's. They have been in a drawer for decades...
  5. Gary's Album

Gary's Album

6. Gary_C

Plate turning workshop Saturday January 17 Raleigh

Thanks to Phil and Mike for putting on this workshop. I had a good time. I've got a chunk of padauk that looks to be a good size for a small platter so I think I'm going to try another one at home. Thanks for the inspiration...
  7. Gary_C

OK...I'll be there. Thanks for the note...
  8. Gary_C

I'd like to get in line for a overflow spot...
  9. Gary_C

Segmented Turning Workshop - March 15th, 22nd, 29th

I usually have Mondays off...
  10. Gary_C

Segmented Turning Workshop - March 15th, 22nd, 29th

I'd like to attend one but Saturdays are tough for me. Just set a date and if I can arrange a day off from work I'll come...
  11. Gary_C

I need to turn a spoon...

so from the pictures with the knives...I'm guessing you carve the bowl of the knife? and the spoon with the arched handle...is that handle done on the lathe? I expect I could do a straight handle but how do you do the arched handle? (I'm kind of new at this...)
  12. Gary_C

I need to turn a spoon...

My son is a chef and asked me to make him a spoon. Never did one before. I'm going to surf the web to look for tutorials but I thought I would ask here too. Does anybody have advice on spooning? :)
  13. Gary_C

New member in North Raleigh

Hi Norm...good to see you here...have not seen you much since TechShop closed its doors.
  14. Gary_C

Techshop Refugee

I haven't been there at 2 am but I was in the shop at mid-night last night...and 6 am before work is pretty common! Yes, the Grizzy was at the TechShop...now I need a new photo with my 14" Rikon I already want a drill press...and really liked the Powermatic at the Techshop but really don't...
  15. Gary_C

Techshop Refugee

I joined the Techshop in Raleigh about 18 months ago and started my journey into woodworking. Found the lathe and got hooked...been making pens for a while and then got into turning bowls...just having fun and developing skills when in mid-April I got an e-mail from the Techshop that said they...
  16. Gary_C

Exploding Koa pen blanks...

I just ruined my second koa pen blank in a row. i got the first one down to finishing cuts when a couple big chunks broke out of the end. Enough to ruin the blank. Started on a second one tonight and it broke into pieces as I was roughing the blank. This is my first experience turning koa. Is...
  17. Gary_C

Some of my latest turnings.

Those are beautiful...what kind of finish do you use to get that beautiful gloss?
  18. Gary_C

Trouble with CA Finish on Pens

Thanks for all the tips...I'll keep trying and hope they gets better... Yes, I think that's it too. Because it looked fine right up until the instant the pen lost its lustre and the white fibers appeared in the finish (I think they were from the towel). I know I saw a video tutorial about...
  19. Gary_C

Trouble with CA Finish on Pens

So far I've made about a dozen pens. Tried a CA finish on the last five. First I used a Q-Tip and applied the CA while rotating the pens on the lathe by hand. The I read about the method of using a paper towel applicator and letting the lathe run while applying the glue. So I've tried that three...
  20. Gary_C

Spindle Gouge vs Fingernail Gouge

This is what I was looking for...more of why you would use one or the other....the physical differences are kind of obvious if you look at them. I'm at the stage when I'm still trying to decide which tool to grab....I'd like to go on something more than "lets see what this one will do...."...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS