Search results

1. D

Call for entries at the Cameron Art museum

I just saw this for the Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington. No entry fee, not even juried I don't think, the only rejections would be based on size, weight, etc. Great opportunity to show work! The video says last year they had over 1600 entries or something crazy like that...
  2. D

putting spar varnish on top of urethane varnish?

If I stained, then put 3 coats of a urethane varnish on, can I come and put a spar varnish on top of that for extra protection? the urethane varnish isn't rated for outdoors so I want to really seal it in with the spar varnish. The urethane varnish I put on is the bottom can, the spar varnish...
  3. D

New website, check it out

While trying to email some images for a job interview, I figured it was easier to just make a quick tumblr page instead of resizing and picking through what images to use. Also, I've never posted images to NCWW, even thought I've been a member for quite some years, always meant too... so here...
  4. D

Revient reclaimed wood in western NC

I'm not trying to spam a company, but rather gloat on it. Revient LLC is a newer company located in Wilkesboro NC with a HUGE selection of great reclaimed wood, much of it's from historical buildings from around the country, like the Thomas Edison workshop. I've personally been out there to the...
  5. D

finishing for wenge?

I've made a stool out of canary wood and wenge. The seat is book matched wenge and canary to look like an owl face or something. I'm wondering what sort of finish to use that won't give the wenge too much of a homogeneous dark tone. I still want to see the grain contrast well. Any thoughts...
  6. D

Danish oil for appearance, then what for sealer?

I've turned an air dried walnut bowl, and left some bark on the outside. There are some cracks in the endgrain, they aren't very wide, but are on the inside and outside. Now I wanted to use something like danish oil for a finish just to show the beauty of the walnut, but I wanted to seal the...
  7. D

CNC machine in Eastern NC?

I'm wondering on the slim chance if anyone in eastern NC (not opposed to going a little further) has a CNC machine I could hire you for just to make a template for a sign to then pattern route. Or if anyone knows of a shop that does that sort of thing. Thoughts?
  8. D

Making electric motor variable speed for bowl lathe

I'm working on a homemade bowl lathe, and instead of having a 4-pully step for the speed control I was wondering on how to just make the motor variable speed, maybe with a light switch dimmer sort of deal. Any suggestions?
  9. D

Dustin Sims

Pretty late submitting the "Who I am" thread. But... I'm a wood design student at East Carolina University in Greenville NC. Originally from Wilmington, but spend a lot of time in Boone. During the summers I guide white water and hiking trips in Boone and eastern TN. I find most of interest in...
  10. D

Valentines Day sale ideas

My schools (East Carolina University) art department is having a Valentines day sale coming up. The wood design department is encouraged to have things in there as our department is sort of on the chopping block to get desolved into sculpture :gar-Cr So any ideas of some small things I could...
  11. D

Any tips for sharpening bowl gouge?

I made a jig sharpen my roughing gouge, just an adjustable rod coming from under the bench grinder with a little cup for the butt of the tool. Obviously this is only good for sharpening a square edge, and won't work for the rounded edge of a bowl gouge (not sure correct terminology). If anyone...
  12. D

Lathe Banjo

I am in dire need of a new lathe banjo. Mine broke in about 3 different places, three different occasions and I'm tired of having it brazed back half-right. Cast iron isn't the easiest thing to fix, even with my infinite possibilities at the ECU sculpture yard. if anyone knows where I can find a...
  13. D

My new score!

I stumbled on this lathe around May time and haven't been able to use it much because of working as a raft guide and living on the river... away from my new obsession. But the few times I've stood at it for 6+ hours have been phenomenal, for the exception of the banjo breaking 3 times now. I've...
  14. D

bottle stop hardware

I'm living in Boone for the summer, but bounce around between Greenville and Wilmington as well. I'm interested in turning some bottle stops, but don't know where to get the stopper part. any suggestions close by?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS