Search results

1. C

Best Sprayer to Paint Metal Equipment - Oil Base Paint??`

If you get the extended protection plan on those HF sprayers (about $6 I think last time I bought a couple) I was told I could swap it out 3 times for any reason, even if its not working because I didn't bother to clean it out after spraying epoxy primer. So that works out to $16 for 4 uses -...
  2. C

Review this kitchen table design?

I played around with it a little bit, just minor changes/suggestions from me: I widened the tenons that stick through the legs so there'd be more meat on either side of the key Made the stretchers maple, but with a laminated curve of bloodwood to draw the color downward, and bloodwood keys so...
  3. C

Sometimes the tool is the project

Finally had the necessary combination of free time and sunny weather to do a bit more work on this. Finished wire brushing the main beam, and got it, the legs, headstock, and a couple of the small parts primed with 2k epoxy primer. I've still got a few more small pieces to wire brush and...
  4. C

I just have to get it shiny enough the dust can't even stick to it, right?
  5. C

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I'd assumed just some other type of steel given the heft to it, but it was just corroded/oxidized looking rather than rusted like the rest of the steel parts; aluminum would explain that. Guess I'll need to find a magnet to check. If aluminum polishes up...
  6. C

Hit the handwheel that knob goes with today as well. Couldn't get it to polish up to *quite* as mirrored of a finish, presumably because of cast iron vs whatever that knob is, but its still loads better than the brown rusty wheel it started as. I'll probably give it a clean up pass once I've...
  7. C

Looks like renting a soda blaster is $250ish per day + the media (which at my rough estimate was going to be $500ish). My big compressor would probably handle it ok if I brought it down here but that price is still way up there, so I'm just going to stick with chemical strippers at this point...
  8. C

King Seeley Drill Press Problem

That looks like you could make it out of delrin quite easily - chuck it on a lathe, turn it to dimension, and slice off the flat on the bandsaw. Probably wouldn't be cheaper than the premade one, but you'd have a chunk of delrin leftover :)
  9. C

Yep, definitely wearing safety gear - gloves, goggles, respirator. This is old enough (1963) I'm sure there's some nasty stuff in the paint, not to mention the stripper goop. Thinking next weekend I'll borrow a pressure washer and see if that'll work to strip everything off after the stripper...
  10. C

Hadn't done much on it while I was trying to get estimates on having it blasted. So far, only managed to get one estimate back, and it was *way* beyond what I could justify ($700ish), so I've pretty much given up on that route, and started stripping and wire wheeling it this weekend between...
  11. C

Gorilla Gripper

I picked up one a month or two ago because of all the 3/4 osb I was hauling around for my workshop's subfloor. Works pretty well overall. I've not dealt with inclines with it, but at least on flat ground, I've had no issues with any slipping out from it so far. Obviously its not reducing the...
  12. C

Yep - when I say "sandblasting" I mean the concept as a whole, not literally using sand. I'd looked into using soda and a home sized blaster, but based on the numbers I could find for square inches removed per pound of media, I was looking at $500+ just in soda media. I figure a proper shop...
  13. C

It didn't come with the accessories beyond the carriage, so I'll have to make a new banjo for it. But the seller said he'll try to find them, and if he does they'll be free. He also finds stuff like this regularly, so I suspect he may come across the accessories from other machines eventually...
  14. C

This one definitely works out to a good deal - by the time I'm done, I'll have spent less than I would have on grizzly's new lathe, and have one with the same or larger capacity and 3 times the mass, along with about 50% longer tailstock quill travel. My goal with the paint is to get it...
  15. C

Got the bulk of the parts soaked with purple power and hosed off today, so its all pretty grease free now. Luckily that main beam is *just* light enough I can pick up one end at a time and walk it around, so was able to alternate ends, resting the other on some scrap wood so it didnt get...
  16. C

Finished getting everything taken apart today (other than the motor itself). Overall seems to be in very good shape, no cracks or the like anywhere that I've found. One very minor piece missing from the worm gear that moves the carriage (about 1/4" from where the thread starts, no functional...
  17. C

Overall its about 8' long, but since the headstock and tailstock are so big, there's about 5' of space between them. Its currently 16" swing, thinking I'll make a riser block to bring it up somewhere in the 20-24" range though, just have to figure out how to best raise the cross slide as well...
  18. C

Yep. Luckily there's not a whole lot of surfaces that'll need protected on this machine, but will make sure whoever I have sandblast it is very careful there. Still waiting to hear back on estimates for getting it blasted, may end up being expensive enough I go the scrape and sand route...
  19. C

The picture is slightly misleading there - the tailstock slides freely like normal, it was just all pushed together who knows how many years in the past and left that way. The rack and pinion portion there is a compound carriage very similar to what a metal lathe has. The Seems like it'll be...
  20. C

Yep, planning to post pics as I go :) Its a 3PH 1200rpm Lima 2hp motor. I've got 3ph power here so that's fine (in fact, preferred). I'd been considering adding a vfd anyway for speed control, but since it also has a 4 speed transmission (1:1 to 1:4.15) coupled with the step pulleys, I suspect...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS