Search results

1. Tim Sherwood

New sprayer advice needed

Needle tips are no longer available for my Accuspray HVLP conversion guns. So I am free to explore all the new , or used, options. What are your ideas on spraying systems? Should I get a new conversion gun to go with my 60 gal.compressor or replace the whole set up with a turbine set up?
  2. Tim Sherwood

old spray gun parts needed

I have two Accuspray #19 hvlp conversion guns. I use one for solvent based clear finishes and the other for water based. That is coming to and end. Accuspray brand was bought out by 3M years ago. The old style guns are discontinued and parts are rare. I need to replace the Delrin tips that screw...
  3. Tim Sherwood

I need help with a dyed shellac finish

I am having a problem with spraying a dyed shellac. The finish looks like it has fish eye. But I can't think of any possible contamination . I milled down some soft white pine. I sanded it to 180 and vacuumed the surface. I sprayed two coats of 1 1/2 lb sealcoat shellac. To tint the wood I mixed...
  4. Tim Sherwood

sound deadening for steel machine stands

Steel cabinets can act as a big sound box. They multiply the volume of any machine tool fastened to them. I'm looking for ideas to deaden those reverberations . My jointer is really rumbles on it's cabinet stand. What have you used to reduce these sounds?
  5. Tim Sherwood

Mike Davis tunes up another jointer

I just installed a shelix head in a 60 year old Rockwell 8" jointer. I spent the next two weeks loosing the battle to shim it into submission. Sometimes you just need a fresh approach to a problem. So I called Mike Davis for help. In an hour and a half, he had it cutting nicely. Thanks Mike. We...
  6. Tim Sherwood

Jointer cutter head replacement

I have given in to the temptation of a Shelix cutter head for my old jointer: a 1960's era Rockwell/ delta 37-315. The Byrd replacement arrived in about a week. So today I'm dismantling the old one. I have removed the nut and pulled the shaft from the bearings one one end. The other end is not...
  7. Tim Sherwood

Jointer for sale SOLD

I want to sell my Delta 6" jointer. Model 37-196 with the enclosed stand. One owner, gently used in my hobby shop. One HP motor is set up now for 220 volts, but can be shifted to 110. It's in very good shape. $485 , pick up in Greensboro.
  8. Tim Sherwood

Jointer wanted

I'm looking for a used 8" jointer.
  9. Tim Sherwood

What's your favorite cutter for edge banding?

Just from reading internet reviews, I'm leaning toward a single sided cutter that cuts forward or backward. What is your preferred method for trimming a lot of self gluing wood edging?
  10. Tim Sherwood

color finish for pine

I'll be making kitchen cabinets for a log cabin in the mountains. The doors and drawer fronts will be pine . We're aiming for a finish color of light to medium brown instead of the natural yellow or pumpkin of pine. I would like to avoid hand wiped stains, if I can. I'm hoping that a spray on...
  11. Tim Sherwood

Replacing foam in a Fein vacuum

I have a 25 year old Fein mini turbo vacuum. It still works great. I bought it for it's performance and it's low noise level. Now , the foam that absorbs the noise is dying of old age. It's crumbling and ejecting itself into my shop. It appears this is a common issue with Fein vacuums. For newer...
  12. Tim Sherwood

Left hand vs right for circular saw?

I'm in the market for a new circular saw. What are the pros and cons of a left hand blade vs. a right hand? I am right handed. I will use this saw primarily to break down plywood. I'm looking at the Bosch 6 1/4" cordless saws. I like the idea of a track saw. But I just can't justify the high cost.
  13. Tim Sherwood

chair leg tips/pads

I have hardwood floors in my dining room. I put felt stick on pads on the bottom of the chair legs to minimize the damage to the floor. The pads refused to stay in place. So,I cleaned off the adhesive and sanded the leg tips. The pads still came loose. I have tried the nail on nylon pads.....bad...
  14. Tim Sherwood

Naked chest of drawers

I just finished this for my granddaughter. Its made of resawn hickory. The finish is shelac, with poly added to the top. The original idea was 4 corner post legs . I think this A frame was a better look and more stable. The exposed slides and drawer sides are it's best feature. The overlapped...
  15. Tim Sherwood

spiral carbide bits

I was cleaning my collection of router bits this morning. Yes I do them in batches,and not very often...... Anyway, I was reminded that I have several !/4" solid carbide spiral bits. They all have blackened tips. It looks like burnt carbon . Not like a normal thick build up. It is really hard to...
  16. Tim Sherwood

Free planer parts

Delta 22-560 planer. Complete machine . The drive shaft keyway rounded out while I was trying to tame some Hickory. A replacement shaft is silly expensive. If you know a machine shop, they should be able to cut a new key slot and matching pulley. Everything else runs great.
  17. Tim Sherwood

resaw wood recommendations

I am starting a dresser project where I want the drawer fronts and sides to match. I would like to resaw the sides to about 1/2 to 5/8" x 5 1/2 or 6. I'm leaning toward using Hickory. Will that wood be difficult to resaw? I'm using a sharp 1/2-3tooth blade on a 14" Delta saw , 3/4 horse motor...
  18. Tim Sherwood

Supplier for 1/4" mdf near Greensboro

The big box stores only stock !/4 MDF in 24x48 panels. I wanted full sized sheets. As suggested in a recent posting, I tried Horizon Forest products : the Greensboro location is a wholesale flooring warehouse only. I tried Wurth in High Point: wholesale only and their showroom is locked down...
  19. Tim Sherwood

Dorm sized desk

This desk is for my granddaughter . It's made as two units for portability. The drawer stack and the desk are both topped with formica and can be used as individual pieces or combined. She asked for a white painted desk so I used BB plywood and some leftover oak and some maple. Paint is the...
  20. Tim Sherwood

sanding shellac question

How long should sandpaper last before it loads up ? I'm sanding the first thin sealer coat of shellac on baltic birch plywood. I'm only getting about four square feet before the disk "corns" to the point of useless. I'm using Klingspor's new green stearated discs, 220 grit. I've turned down the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS