Search results

1. leftoflefty

Sharpening Turning Tools??

So my FIL loaned me his lathe because he doesn't really like turning all that much. He also threw in his turning tools. I was in the shop the other day just experimenting with turning and I'm pretty sure the tools need to be sharpened. I keep seeing videos of turners sharpening their tools...
  2. leftoflefty

spanish cedar

Does anyone know where to find spanish cedar that is 1/8" - 2/8" thick? My bro-in-law and I are going to be starting some humidor projects and we want some thin spanish cedar to line the inside of some boxes. Thanks guys.:thumbs_up
  3. leftoflefty

Cypress coffee table WIP pics

So I've been working on a coffee table for my sister over the past week. After sweeping all of this up is when I decided I would be purchasing a DC system in the near future. The beer boxes are from watching the NFL playoffs in the shop because the women invaded the den.:wsmile: View...
  4. leftoflefty

Planing question

So I picked up some cypress wood at The Woodworking Source yesterday, and it pretty darn flat. My question is, do I HAVE to joint one side before i send it through the planer or can i just plane both sides? I know its better to have a "for certain" dead flat surface for the planer, but this...
  5. leftoflefty

Took my first trip......

to The Woodworking Source today to pick up some lumber for an upcoming project. I met Rick and Dane. Two super nice guys. I took my 3 year old daughter with me. She had fun walking around the shop and looking at all the tools. "Dad this place is awesome. It is so intense." I couldn't...
  6. leftoflefty

Mortise and Tenons

So my sister asked me to make her a coffee table for her new house. And before I go and start tearing up nice wood for this project, I would like to practice making some M&T joints on a couple of tables for some new tools I have recently purchased. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good...
  7. leftoflefty

Finally finished......

... this seemingly simple project. I don't know why it took me so long, but it did. This frame is the result of a couple threads that I posted about ebonizing oak and sanding glass. The frame is made from red oak that I ebonized with vinegar/steel wool solution and an ebony stain. I...
  8. leftoflefty

Sanding Glass

So I just went to the store to buy a pane of glass for a picture frame. It turns out to be slightly, and I mean slightly, too big to fit into the frame. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: My question is, can I just take some sand paper and shave it down to fit?? Or would this be a bad idea...
  9. leftoflefty

My first box

Two months ago my wife and I lost our second daughter to an extremely rare lung disease. She was 27 days old. This was, and still is, by far the toughest time of mine and my wife's life. I turned to the shop to help heal and cope. I decided to make a "keepsake" box to keep our daughters...
  10. leftoflefty

Japanese hand planes

Hey guys. I was thinking about picking up a couple japanese planes. I have seen some used and seem to like the outcome (as well as wanting to try something new). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tools and the proper way to sharpen them.
  11. leftoflefty

Ebonizing Red Oak

So I'm reframing some artwork for my mother. She wants the frames dark to match the art. I've gone the route of steel wool/vinegar and I'm just not getting the depth I'm looking for. My question(s) is: -What would be the best way to get the red oak as close to black as possible (without...
  12. leftoflefty

Finishing Cherry

So I picked up some of the cherry wood that the guys were selling outside of the Klingspor show last weekend. I'm planning on making a hall table for my front hallway. I'm looking for a good way to finish it. I'd like to have a nice smooth finish with a bit of a "shine" to it. If anyone has...
  13. leftoflefty

New member from Conover, NC

Hello all. Name is Ricky and I live in Conover, NC. I'm new to woodworking (about a year in). I'm glad to find this community of fellow woodworkers. I hope to learn alot from everyone here. :eusa_danc I'm a big fan of the large bank of smilies!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors