Search results

1. jrfuda

Wall Tool Cabinet - Progress report

Amazing! I would need to significantly increase my level of discipline to put everything back on a regular basis.
  2. jrfuda

Insulation of roof

I agree with using spray foam. We live in a circa 1900 home that, as we've slowly remodeled over the past 9 years, we've had a pro install spray foam. It does cost a little more, but we would never have achieved the level of comfort we have in the old house using any other method. If you...
  3. jrfuda

Ridgid 4330 Diagram 2019-04-16

Diagram of the Ridgid 4330 13" planer to assist with replacing the cutter head.
  4. jrfuda

Ebony from Ivory!

I too started a small fire in my microwave drying some pen blanks pulled from the firewood pile. Looked away for maybe 30 seconds and turned around to see black smoke (plastic container the blanks were in was burning as well). Quickly got the fire out and thought I had destroyed the 30+ year old...
  5. jrfuda

Under Lathe Storage Cart

Thanks, I replaced the feet on my lathe with 3" casters mounted to each leg with a bracket. Made it both easier to move and raised it up a bit, which fit my 6'3" frame a little better -so I should be able to skip the 2x6 step. I've not turned anything big and wobbly enough yet for the casters...
  6. jrfuda

Under Lathe Storage Cart

That's a really smart design. I've been thinking abbot under lathe storage for my Nova 1624 and it never dawned on me to make it a separate cart rather than building it onto the lathe or removing the legs and placing the lathe on a new cabinet. I really like your cart!
  7. jrfuda

What a waste

That's the worst. I had the same thing happen with about 600BF of quarter sawn red oak. Kept it in the garage for about a year (was stored outside at the mill) - went to se it and powder everywhere. I moved the stack board by board to another part of the garage, sweeping off the dust and...
  8. jrfuda

Shed Builder

I just had a 10x24 shed from Leonard out of Mt Airy delivered this morning. Took about 6 weeks from when I ordered and it was built exactly to my specifications - matches my house perfectly (my preference, no HOA for me). I used my local Leonard dealer here in Fayetteville, but the sheds are...
  9. jrfuda

What was your FIRST WW'ing project?

Did several odd projects with Dad growing up, even got a youth woodworking tool set when I was around 7 in 1979/1980 that would probably cost several hundred dollars today. I still have and use a few tools from that kit, and a few more are probably tucked away here and there at Dad's. My first...
  10. jrfuda

Have you ever bought a tool you forgot you already had?

If you're logged in on Amazon, it tells you if you've already bought the item you're looking at. This has saved me a few times, though it still took me a while to actually find the tool once I went looking for it.
  11. jrfuda

Another workbench from construction 2x lumber - your advice requested

Almost 3 years ago, I built a quickie work bench using QS SYP sourced from 2x14s I got from HD (Lowes did not have any SYP) and a cheap vise I purchased there as well. I did this despite having a stack of QS oak and a complete set of benchrafted hardware, as I needed the bench right away. I've...
  12. jrfuda

Change to Military Discount at Lowes

This is good to know and I just added my military status to MyLowes thanks to this post. I purchase something at a Lowes in Fayetteville mid week and they let it go with the normal flash of my ID card, but they may have special instructions given the large number of military customers they have...
  13. jrfuda

FESTOOL Sander - THIS IS VERY STRANGE

I use Klingspor's paper with the one festool sander I have, and the hole match, no issues.
  14. jrfuda

Question about shutters

I have 600bf of 6/4 Sapele sitting in my shop waiting for me to turn them into functional raised panel shutters. I'm using a Freud entry door bit set and stile/rail construction with Domino tenons to put them together. We're in year 5 of remodeling our pre-1900 home and have fallen behind...
  15. jrfuda

Formica for Folding Outfeed Table

What's the width? They sell melamine covered particle board shelving for a decent price in 12,16 and 24" widths and 8, 12 and 16' lengths at the big box stores. I plan on using some for my own in/outfeed table project.
  16. jrfuda

CA Shelf Life

I have several large (mostly 2 oz) bottles of CA and CA finishes open at any given time. I store them in a jar with desiccant packets and have great shelf life... I think I have a bottle over 2 years old that still works well. I always recap, making sure the cap and nozzle are both clean... I...
  17. jrfuda

Evapo-Rust

I've used naval jelly and evaporust. Evaporust is definitely easy and seems to be able to be reused forever. One thing I did like about naval jelly, though, is the nice gray finish it left on the tools. In the end I usually go for the evaporust. Sent from my TM785M3 using Tapatalk
  18. jrfuda

Highly figured Red Oak turning blocks

Wow, I cannot beleive that's red oak. If I were not such a rookie turner, lived closer and had more time I'd be interested. Very nice, and great job turning it.
  19. jrfuda

Router Table

I don't have room for a dedicated table, so I have a Bench Dog Cast Iron TS extension router table with their fence and their prligt (got the prolift off ebay for next to nothing!). I did not even know about the LS or Jointech when I purchased them 5 years ago. The LS has intrigued me since I...
  20. jrfuda

Ever thinned out water based poly (specifically minwax polycrylic)?

I've thinned General Finishes water based products according to their label instructions (20% max, I think) without issue. Never tried minwax, though. GF has a very responsive customer support and I usually check with them when I try something new. Even though it says 20%, i think I have rarely...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors