Search results

1. Handturnedbowls

How to make your own lathe tools -

This is a tutorial on the art of hardening and annealing tool steel. All the steps are covered start to finish teaching you how to obtain the metal, shape it, harden and anneal it, and finally install it in a handle.
  2. Handturnedbowls

How to make your own lathe tools 2019-04-16

This is a tutorial on the art of hardening and annealing tool steel. All the steps are covered start to finish teaching you how to obtain the metal, shape it, harden and anneal it, and finally install it in a handle.
  3. Handturnedbowls

How to cut logs for bowl blanks 2019-04-16

Revision 2, added mention of when to stop for natural edge bowl blanks. A step by step, visual tutorial showing you how to calculate ahead and get the most yield from a log when you are sawing it up for bowl blanks.
  4. Handturnedbowls

Boring System for Vessels 2019-04-16

After not finding what I wanted or finding only outrageously expensive ones, I designed and fabricated my own vessel boring tool. It works great - No chatter, glides effortlessly and leaves a finish so good you dont even need to sand it. cad
  5. Handturnedbowls

Boring tool in action 2019-04-16

I put together a series of photos showing my boring tool in use with captions describing each.
  6. Cedar bowl

Cedar bowl

7. Large Poplar vessel

Large Poplar vessel

8. Cedar Vessel 2

Cedar Vessel 2

This one looks like it has flames all around it. Cedar is one of a kind.
  9. Handturnedbowls

New cedar vase

I dont make a habit of posting my work, and usually put some of the good ones in my gallery. But I am amazed at the colors that cedar produces in bowls. They look like they are on fire. I wish I had my original size of this photograph but I scaled it down to fit at my website. Dave O - I...
  10. Handturnedbowls

Hello Gangdusters

Hi Sam, Sorry for the late hello. Welcome to the forum, there are tons of good info floating around here. You arent but 20 miles from me, I live in Clinton. Give me a ring some time or mail me. 910-592-1237 cad
  11. Handturnedbowls

Ceramic Grinding wheel

Hi Johnson, The place I get most of my tools and supplies is Packard Woodworks. They seem to have the best prices by my shopping around and looking. Here is a link to their page for this wheel. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=sharp-sg cad
  12. Handturnedbowls

Ceramic Grinding wheel

I recently got a set of 3 ceramic grinding stones. I didnt realize what I had until I looked up the number from Norton. Their signature color is purple. I have never found a wheel that cuts as good as this, with virtually no heat generation. Now I dress my tools using this wheel exclusively...
  13. Handturnedbowls

Finishing the inside of boxes

Thanks for that tip William, that is really smart. A porous finish that allows the wood to breath as well. cad
  14. Handturnedbowls

Eastern Cedar Question

You got that right, Matt. But instead of fighting the cracking I know will occur, I incorporate it in my bowls from cedar. When I have a finished shape, I sand down smooth to 320, then keep using the fillied strip of sanding cloth as a strope to induce as many cracks as I can without...
  15. Handturnedbowls

Bowl Finishing

Answers about white stain Okay, I know this isnt about cedar, but its following up on my mention of how I finish my pieces. The white stain must be some kind of temperature variation present in my wood prior to applying the poly. If I apply my blow dryer to the stain, it goes away. Heat...
  16. Cedar bowl

Cedar bowl

Another cedar bowl, with some interesting colors.
  17. Cedar vase

Cedar vase

Made from a local cedar I aquired. The grain is something else. I have a new fav wood.
  18. Handturnedbowls

Comment by 'Handturnedbowls' in media 'Tall walnut box/urn'

Pete sorry I didnt reply. I didnt realize comments could be posted at my gallery. It will be at the Fayettville Museum of Art. The exhibit starts May 12 and runs to July 9th. I will be there May 11th, from 6 to 8pm for the premier party. THAT makes me nervous, I dont get along well with...
  19. Spalted Red Oak Vase

Spalted Red Oak Vase

From a crotch point, the burl is amazing in this piece.
  20. Handturnedbowls

Bowl Finishing

Re: Eastern Cedar Question I forgot to mention something guys. If you try this method, you can get white stains in places after you apply poly over the laquer. This isnt a serious issue but to overcome it, I have found a little while in the sun, seems to clear this up. I dont know yet what...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS