Search results

1. T

Wayward pin nails

I frequently have 18 gauge pin nails bend and come out the sides of parts I’m trying to assemble using them (attaching a face frame to a cabinet for example). Using a Hitachi air powered pin nailer. Even angling the nailer slightly to encourage the pin to not come out the most visible side is...
  2. T

Dewalt Miter saw stand with 2 additional material support/stops

Dewalt DWX723 Stand w/2 supports (new $229) with (2) Dewalt DW7029 Support/Stops (new $39 each)- I bought these November of last year and used until I made a miter saw station in March this year. Reducing to $175 for all-(I’d rather do business with a NCWW member than put it in Facebook or...
  3. T

WTB 8" tool rest

Wanted: 8 inch long lathe tool rest with 1inch diameter post. I have a 4" and a 12" - need something in between, 8" seems about right.
  4. T

Wide pine boards

I have an old family heirloom table, the top of which is (2) pine boards, each 20 inches wide. I’d like to make another table just like it since this one is only 56 inches long - we need more seating when all the family is here. Is there any chance someone may know of a source for 20” wide pine...
  5. T

Dead Cherry tree - Spindle turning

We have a cherry tree that died (didn't come out this Spring) which came as a transplant from my wife's Grandmother's place. I thought it would be nice to use some of the limbs (2-4" diameter) to do some spindle turning to make small vases (what Mike Peace calls "weed pots"). Would these limbs...
  6. T

Intarsia workshop today

I had a great time and learned a lot at the intarsia workshop today - Thank you to Bill Clemmons for hosting, and Mike Mathieu for driving down to teach. Can't wait to finish my box, and will post a picture when finished. Enjoyed meeting everyone!
  7. T

Thanks for the help Charley

Just wanted to thank Charles Lent for tipping me off to a Dewalt 788 Type 1 scroll saw that was for sale in a local pawn shop, and for coming over to give me some pointers using it! He speaks very highly of the value and cooperation among the NCWW.net folks - he's a great example. Thanks again...
  8. T

Old vs new Scroll saws

I have an old Delta 40-440 24 inch scroll saw that I love but can't get the results I need from it. I understand part of the problem is that the spring return mechanism results in varying blade tension as it travels up and down. New saws maintain constant blade tension. Thinking that maximum...
  9. T

Old vs New Scroll Saw

I have an old Delta 40-440 24 inch scroll saw that I love but can't get the results I need from it. I understand part of the problem is that the spring return mechanism results in varying blade tension as it travels up and down. New saws maintain constant blade tension. Thinking that maximum...
  10. T

Scroll saw questions

Asking for some info & advice here - I have a Delta 24" scroll saw, probably a late 1940's model. It's in great shape and runs good. I've made some Christmas ornaments, puzzles, etc. but am still in the learning curve as to what type blade to use where, etc. A couple of questions - How important...
  11. T

Charlotte Woodworking show

Looks like Charlotte has been omitted from the 2013 Woodworking Show schedule although March 8 is apparently yet to be scheduled. Does anyone know for sure if Charlotte has been eliminated?
  12. T

Sharpening jointer knives

Does anyone have any experience or information about sharpening jointer knives? I replaced the knives on my Powermatic 60B 8" jointer and would like to sharpen the old set to have in reserve. I have a machinist friend who will grind them, but I'm not sure if there is only one angle involved. It...
  13. T

Who I am

I'm starting to get back into woodworking after a break of about 30 years. My Dad was a woodworker who specilaized in clocks of all kinds - grandfather, mantel, wall clocks. Working for the railroad, he knew a lot of people all over the southeast and made clocks for many of them. I helped him...
  14. T

Jointer alignment

I understand that the infeed and outfeed tables on my Powermatic 60B 8" jointer must be coplanar, but how much tolerance is there. Try as I might I can't get them perfect - the far end of the infeed table is probably .020 or so lower than the end nearest the cutter head and the outfeed table. Is...
  15. T

Saw blade cleaner

Is there a common household item that works as well as the more expensive blade cleaners - removing pitch etc. from blades?
  16. T

PM2000 or Powermatic 66?

Anyone have advice on whether a Powermatic 66 would be preferable to the newer PM2000 table saw?
  17. T

Jointer producing bowed edge

I don't have much experience using a jointer but I'm jointing boards on an Inca jointer/planer and having trouble getting a straight edge. I know to transfer pressure to the outfeed table. Wondering if there's a limit as to the length of board that can be jointed in relation to the length of the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS