Search results

1. Cato

Toy box

Haven't posted anything for awhile, but here is a cherry toy box from Santa's workshop for my grandson. Most challenging part was mounting the requested soft close arm to protect little fingers and puppy dog noses! Manufacturer directions left something to be desired for the critical stage of...
  2. Cato

Couple cutting boards

Recently decided to try some woods that are common, I just didn't have experience with them. Not sure why after all this time. Decided to try my hand at a couple cutting boards and use the hard maple and cherry to see how these woods would work. Pretty pleased with both woods and it was nice...
  3. Cato

donation

Hi, just wanted to know if I could mail a check donation to NCWW instead of putting it on a credit card? Thanks Bob McAlpine
  4. Cato

Jointer blade change for the first time

So far have avoided this task on my little Ridgid 6" jointer but finally had to tackle it today. Took some time getting my act together on the first blade and then the other two went quickly. I bought one of those magnetic jigs from Woodcraft and it worked very well once i figured how to hold...
  5. Cato

Wine rack done

So, doesn't hold a candle to the projects I see on here, but happy to get the first one in several years done. Finished it up today putting the walnut back panel on and putting a final coat of Waterlox on. Found a little under counter light and tried to see how it would look in it, and wife...
  6. Cato

Wine rack progress

My first project in 3 years. Small wine rack for our house. Glad it's small, or I would be overwhelmed getting used to using my tools again! Will hold 11 bottles and is mahogany and the back panel will be walnut. Progress has been fairly slow as I go through the re-learning curve. Making and...
  7. Cato

How do you do your glue ups?

Just curious on when you are gluing up a panel and the pieces are being edge glued do you spread your glue on just one edge or both? I used to do both but I always ended up with major squeeze out mess and stressed a bit if I was gluing up several pieces at a time. It was like beat the clock to...
  8. Cato

Air Filtration unit addition

Having my workshop back has been great, but fine dust has been a problem. Dust collector working well, and i did get one of those Ellipse half masks and love it. All that has been well and good but being in the attached garage and going in and out, there was just too much suspended stuff in the...
  9. Cato

Wood shop again after 3 years without

In a much smaller workshop than when I was in Martinsville, but I will be able to make it work. Equipment did great being stored for that time. Just sprayed the cast iron with that WD40 brand of rust inhibitor that goes on wet and then dries hard. One coat and covered with that cotton material...
  10. Cato

New workshop finally after 3 years without!

Well after 3 years without I'm finally getting a workshop back. It'll be in our 2 car garage and a bit tight but its gonna work. Electrician ran TS circuit and then a few 120v circuits. TS seems to have fared fine in storage and is ready for a test run. DC put together, and next is house...
  11. Cato

Bas-Sliding Table saw?

Since I have been in the transition process from Martinsville to Virginia Beach, I have not been in the shop much. So, I have to live vicariously through others here on the site so I won't go crazy without my hobby. I haven't seen or maybe missed how Bas's sliding table saw installation is...
  12. Cato

Completed Coffee Table pics

Had some time this morning to fasten the table top on and sign this off as a finished project. Never perfect but had fun building it and trying some new things. Thanks for the help and advice that many of you gave me as I worked my way to the completion. Now to deliver it to my daughter!!
  13. Cato

Coffee table in the finishing stage and nearly done!!

A couple of pics of my recent progress on a coffee table for my daughter. I dyed and shellaced the walnut and mahogany base as well as the table top this week. The base Glued the apron end assembly today and this is a dry fit, and will glue the stretchers tomorrow so that the base will be...
  14. Cato

WIP Coffee table

Well I have been doing a lot of yard work recently and only getting into the shop to work on this table just a little bit. I have had some time the past few days to get past the base construction and been working on the top and the devilish bread board ends. Was finishing the last pass on a...
  15. Cato

Breadboard ends

I am building a breadboard end table top for a coffee table and was wondering if you need to leave a small reveal or plane it flush with the table top?
  16. Cato

Osborne Miter Gauge

I got this Osborne EB-3 last week to help with a project I have started, an Arts and Crafts coffee table that was in last months Fine Woodworking issue. http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Cato_photos/IMG_1284.jpg This is not as cool looking as the Incra miter gauges, but it is very solidly...
  17. Cato

New TS with pics. I like it

Table saw came Friday afternoon. Driver was very kind and pulled the pallet up the driveway and into the garage for me. Jet did a good job packing the saw and its components. Saturday unpacked the saw and ran the electrical circuit for it. Put it on a Jet mobile base. Sunday I did the...
  18. Cato

Tablesaw arrives tomorrow

Okay, now getting excited. Came home for lunch and the freight company called and scheduled delivery for tomorrow afternoon around 2. Was leaving the house and Fedex arrived with the Jet mobile base a day early. With everything startind to come together, I went to the store after work and got...
  19. Cato

Oops now I have gone and done it!! Ordered a Jet table saw

Yep, I did it. If any of you guys have the Jet Xacta Deluxe, let me know what the base dimensions are and what mobile base you might recommend. Got a wild hair I suppose, because I have been reasonably happy or thought I was anyway with my Rigid R4511. Nope hadn't been drinking or anything...
  20. Cato

Do you have to glue tight fitting dovetails??

I started a box last week and decided on dovetail joinery. I use the Porter Cable 4212 jig. This is only the second time I have used it, but I am starting to get the feel for the adjustments on it. Anyway, my dovetails fit so tight I had to use a rubber mallet to start them and seat them...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS