Search results

1. CatButler

Starrett 12" Combination Square - $55

Not an outstanding deal, but probably about 20% cheaper than I have seen anywhere else online. They also have some other Starrett stuff on clearance Starrett Combination Square - 12 in - 4R grad
  2. CatButler

Reported Post by CatButler

CatButler has reported a post. Reason: Post: Who am I? Forum: Who We Are Assigned Moderators: TracyP Posted by: pololol Original Content:
  3. CatButler

Ryobi 13" planer $137 @ Apex Home Depot

Not sure this is a deal at any price, but they had a 1 13" planer left @ $137. Can't remember the original price but it was above $250. Do some research. Read the reviews. I am trying to decide whether to by a planer, and I passed at that price. Apex HD @ HW55 & HW 64
  4. CatButler

Apex Home Depot 1 Gal. Kerosene $3.36

It looks like Apex Home Depot is clearing out their K-1 Kerosene in 1 gallon metal cans. I am not sure what you can get kerosene for at the gas station, especially this year since it hasn't been that cold, but last year, that was a pretty good price. Plastic containers were $10+/gallon.
  5. CatButler

MWTCA meeting in Hillsborough 1/14 - Who's going?

I'll be there. For the first time in a while I don't have anything special I'm looking for.
  6. CatButler

Custom Branding iron on a BIC lighter

Interesting idea. Some guys around here made their own model a few years ago that was either tapped to a screw or inserted on a soldering iron. They made one batch and then it seemed to fall apart. Not sure what happened to them...
  7. CatButler

Solid core doors available at the Scrap Exchange in Durham for $25

If you go get one, pick up one for me too.
  8. CatButler

Philly style jack plane

This is a philly style wooden jack plane I made about a month ago. I used the links in this web page as references http://www.mwells.org/woodworking/planemaking/philly-style-jack-plane. It is made by laminating similar to the Krenov style, but you make the philly style mouth. The body is...
  9. CatButler

Newbie questions

Hi, I am a newbie to wood turning. If you haven't followed my saga, I built a treadle lathe (completed a treadle lathe to be exact) a while back. Mostly I used it to make a few handles for marking knives, etc, mostly turned with dry reclaimed scrap wood. I wanted to make a nice scratch awl...
  10. CatButler

Visit to Scott Smith's

I had been spending quite a bit of $ on tools lately with nothing to show for it, so when my wife said she wanted to buy a hall bench, I told her I would rather make one. I found a bunch of different options and ran them by her. She liked this the best...
  11. CatButler

Which way is a board more likely to cup?

I started work on a leg vise (single screw in the center) for my bench. The chop is a made from a piece of 2x8 SYP. Sadly one face runs almost exactly through the pith of the tree. If the board does cup, I want the edges to move toward the face of the bench so they will compress to squeeze...
  12. CatButler

Treadle lathe update: Making wood dizzy (now with pics)

Where I last left off, http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39312, I had made a treadle and attached it to the crank wheel I was using to drive the shaft. Now, I have mounted the spindle and turned a wooden pulley, rounding it out in place on the spindle. I also knocked out a...
  13. CatButler

Treadle lathe update 2: I made the wheel go round

It's been a while since I made an update, but I have made progress. I got the basics of the lathe handed through Carved Tones. I thin I was at least the 4th owner of this thing. I cleaned up the joints and stabilized some things, but wanted something a bit more modern for the spindle. I...
  14. CatButler

That's it, I'm a western saw kinda guy

I really like the idea of the Japanese saw. The concept of the very thin kerf, cutting on pulling strike just seems more intuitive to me. I also like the idea of blades that are cheap, ready to use out of sleeve, and don't need a lot of maintenance. But the reality is I just can't cut...
  15. CatButler

Bed post repair

The bedpost on my son's bed split. This was originally my wife's bed made by my father-in-law when she left the crib. It has been in the family for over 40 years, which is strange because my wife says she's only 35, although she has been 35 for the last 10 years. The post was made by...
  16. CatButler

PPW: Tool Rack

This is a tool rack from PWW's I Can Do That. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/i-can-do-that-tool-rack (You may have to register for free to view article) Sorry, the pic was from a cheap cellphone cam. I really need some more space over my workbench and this is great, it gives me...
  17. CatButler

Treadle lathe:update

I haven't reported much progress on my treadle lathe because, well, I haven't made much progress. My wife and I agreed to cut expenses until we sold our old house. Two things have happened to start progress. We have a contract on the house and I have been given the starts of a treadle lathe...
  18. CatButler

Groupon Deal: $125 2 month membershop RDUTech

Groupon Deal $125 for Two-Month Membership and Six Hours of Classes at TechShop RDU It will only be good for a while, Here is my link. Disclosure, I would receive $10 if you go through my referral http://www.groupon.com/r/uu21484337 Always be sure to read fine print.
  19. CatButler

Treadle lathe

Now that I have my own garage bay for a shop, I'm entertaining the idea of building something I have wanted to build for some time, a treadle lathe. I have 2 plans from St Roy, plus other resources around the net. I like Roy's frame design, but even he admits his flywheel is too intricate in...
  20. CatButler

Shop Gloat

About a year ago, I started pinging my wife that we were running short of space. I was using my side of the garage bay to do WW and our "office" was piling up with inventory for her business. We defined the parameters we wanted for a new house and kept our eyes open. One was a house in our...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS