Search results

1. Jim Wallace

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

I used these brackets: Floating Shelf Bracket - Available in 10 Worked great. Quite strong.
  2. Jim Wallace

Question about Waterlox

I always used the original, often diluting the first coat with mineral spirits for better penetration. Steel wool between coats: three coats always gave me the gloss I wanted. To keep it from turning to jello in the can I would squeeze the can with pliers to expel all the air, then put the lid...
  3. Jim Wallace

Turning Novice Looking for Recs for Sharpening and Lathe Parts

Using a star wheel dresser one should press hard enough that you don’t see sparks coming off the wheel. If you are seeing sparks you are grinding the dresser not dressing the stone. That is the reason for the two little tabs at the bottom of the dresser: they are meant to hook over the tool...
  4. Jim Wallace

A bad day with Ambrosia Maple

Reduce your speed
  5. Jim Wallace

Queen Anne Desk

A couple of questions, Jim. What blade are you using on your band saw? When you say that you use the toothing plane on the side that will be glued, which side is that: the side that you planed with the #7, or the side that was recently passed through the saw? How do you hold the thin veneer...
  6. Jim Wallace

Queen Anne Desk

Freddie Pain describes these legs in detail in his book “The Practical WoodTurner”. He calls them mock cabriole legs. He shows how to turn various feet and how to make legs for a 4 or 3 legged stool. He was the WoodTurner in the Queen’s Shops in England during his working career, and was...
  7. Jim Wallace

Mortise & Tenons

My understanding is that the drawbored mortise and tenon was designed to deal with wood that was not kiln dried which was the general rule in the 17th and 18th centuries. It was intended to contend with dimensional changes more than with glue failure.
  8. Jim Wallace

Small wood steamer for bending wood.

My setup is almost identical to Dan’s. I use an Earlex steam generator that is made for this purpose. I think I got it at Highland Hardware. It has several safety features built in. Don’t forget to drill a small drain hole at the lowest point in the bottom of the steam chamber.
  9. Jim Wallace

Damage to white oak table top

It may not be as deep as you think. My first thought would be to try a card scraper. To keep the surface reasonably level take one pass over the stain then one to one side then one to the other etc.
  10. Jim Wallace

Jointer Electrical Question: UPDATE

As others have noted there are other reliable sources for the capacitor. The specs should be listed on the outside of the capacitor (not the cover, the actual capacitor). It’s just a number of microfarads and voltage. You may also need the dimensions, although in my experience the dimensions...
  11. Jim Wallace

How did this happen?

I treat my butcher block table about once a week with Howard's butcher block conditioner. It's just mineral oil and beeswax. I oil any other cutting boards about every other time they are washed. Regular treatment really penetrates and makes a beautiful finish that improves over time. It...
  12. Jim Wallace

Sharpening videos

These would be better videos if these guys didn’t talk so fast. Is this because I’ve lived in NC for so long or because I’m so old? I think the negative view of water stones is inaccurate. There are many water stones that don’t need soaking (Shapton professional is one, Naniwa is another)...
  13. Jim Wallace

Grinding wheels

I use an angle grinder for lawnmower blades and garden tools as well.
  14. Jim Wallace

Don't Burn Down Your Shop

They have safety cans in the finish room at the Crafts Center at NCSU. A couple of weeks ago they came in to find that one of those cans had had a fire inside during the night. The can contained the fire, but apparently it stank.
  15. Jim Wallace

Best Glue For Maple Countertop

I wouldn’t worry about a waterproof glue if you are finishing with poly. As for the biscuits - dowels - splines the best solution for strength of joint and alignment is probably cauls. Bruce Hoadley says that the use of cauls during glue-up strengthens the joint by evenly distributing the...
  16. Jim Wallace

SOLD - Koskisen AB/B 0.8mm 3PLY Birch

I would like to get 5 to 10.
  17. Jim Wallace

RDU Area Shop Crawls

Well, I had a great time as well. Jim was an excellent organizer, I know it was a lot of work and we appreciate it. He also kept our group moving right along. I learned a lot at every stop. Jim Creasman’s and Steve’s home made tools were an inspiration. Donn’s canoe alone was worth the...
  18. Jim Wallace

Ridiculously easy dados

Yes, so he’s saying don’t worry, if this does get bound up because you are not pulling the guage block back so it’s not right beside the blade, at least nothing will be thrown in your face. Sorry, Martin, this is one of my pet peeves: if he’s going to be a teacher I feel he should take on the...
  19. Jim Wallace

Ridiculously easy dados

I was taught that one should never use both the cross cut and rip guides at the same time. The spacer that is used to determine the placement of the cut should be clamped to the rip guide close to the front edge of the table so that it is no longer engaged with the work piece when the cross cut...
  20. Jim Wallace

Antique wooden leg vise

Thanks for this, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like it. If one wanted the leg to be flush it would be easy to add a piece to the front of the leg the same thickness as the apron.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors