Search results

1. Mtnman

Template Cutting with a Jig Saw

Saw this tip in Woodsmith Tips. Thought it may be usefull to our members. I have not tried it yet, but it seems to make sense to me. What do you think? http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2011/01/27/cutting-with-a-jig-saw/?utm_source=WoodsmithTips&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4455
  2. Mtnman

Old Philip Head Screwdrivers

Does anyone know the proper way to sharpen or re-new old worn Phillip head screwdrivers? Is this even possible? I have several that are so worn and damaged that they slip in the screw head. Hate to throw them away if they can be restored by filing or grinding the tips. Anyone have any ideas or...
  3. Mtnman

Old Canister Shop vac's

Probably most of you have figured out that the bottom half of an old shop vac that no longer works makes a great trash can. Especially if it is metal and has casters on the bottom. I have several in my shop, and I like the fact that they are fire proof and I can roll it up close to where I am...
  4. Mtnman

How do I avoid downloading off topic threads

The title says it all. I really don't want to have to scroll through the off topic threads to look at subjects that deal only with woodworking subjects. Is there a way I can block the off topic stuff when viewing new threads? Thanks, Mtnman
  5. Mtnman

Looking For a Painter

I have been looking for a painter to paint my house for two years now and can't find anyone qualified. Does anyone know of a qualified reliable house painter in the Spruce Pine NC area? I am getting desperate!
  6. Mtnman

Angled Mortise & Tenon

I have made 90 deg mortise and tenon joints before with an acceptable degree of success, but I am wondering about how to make a mortise and tenon joint for a small table leg that has a 5 degree angle. I am making a small table and the legs are splayed outward about 5 degrees, so the apron and...
  7. Mtnman

Review of a $99 Mortising Machine

Last year I bought a mortising machine. It was a cheep one from Harbor Freight. I really didn't expect too much from it, but at $99.00 bucks I thought that it would be better than hand cutting mortises, although I will have to admit that I usually find other ways to join wood together beside...
  8. Mtnman

Woodcraft 5 Buck Router Bit Sale

Woodcraft has 10 more new router bits on sale for $5.oo each. Also the Porter Cable 690LR router for $99.99. Try this link for the router bits. - http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5774&refcode=07IN04NL This one for the 690LR Router -...
  9. Mtnman

10 Year Rocker - Revisited

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the very kind words about my rocker. It took a long time to complete, but I guess that anything worthwhile is worth waiting for. I will include the two pictures again and try to answer all the questions I received. Before I get to the questions...
  10. Mtnman

The 10 Year Rocker - Pictures

I have been holding back in showing pictures of my last project. I really take bad pictures and I have seen some excellent photos taken by others. But nothing ventured, nothing gained! These are photos of a continuous arm Windsor Rocker that I just completed. I actually started it 10 years ago...
  11. Mtnman

Pre - Stain Sealer & Newspaper

Today in the shop I was perparing to stain a small pine spice cabnet. I always use a pre - stain conditioner when staining pine to prevent the blotching (uneven penetration) that occurs when working with soft pine. I'm rather messy, so to protect my bench top I first put down a sheet of...
  12. Mtnman

Orbital Palm Sander

Don't know if everyone is like me, but it seems like every time I want to use my one and only palm sander it has the wrong grit paper on it. I really hate to stop and install a different sheet. It wastes too much time! Obviously the solution to this is to get another palm sander, and install a...
  13. Mtnman

Mortising Machine

Today I went to Harbor Freight to look at their mortising machine model 35570. It was on sale from $169 reduced to $99. Now I usually won't buy a tool this expensive from their catalog with out giving it a through hands on and eyeball inspection. I looked it over and it appeard to be OK for the...
  14. Mtnman

Is There A Right and Wrong Way?

Please don't laugh at me for asking this dumb question, but I noticed something while installing some hinges on a small counter top spice cabinet today in the shop. (I'm making 5 of them) This may be a 'nit', but I can't keep from wondering about it. So here is my question. The hinges that I am...
  15. Mtnman

Tip for fixing those dents and dings

I don't know about most woodworkers, but when I am building small projects that have a top, bottom, and sides, like a small counter top spice cabnet, I like to fine sand the parts before assembly and glue up. I was doing the final assembly when the whole cabnet slipped from my hands and fell...
  16. Mtnman

Lamp with Walnut Shell Shade

I was wondering if anyone that attended Klingspors 'woodworking show' in Hickory NC. last September saw the table lamp that was on display by one of the woodworking clubs that were displaying items crafted by their members? This particular table lamp had a very unsual but absolutely georgous...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors