Search results

1. B

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

Here's a foot-operated Wysong and Miles 321 that I picked up at an auction decades back for $250.00±. Sold it real quick and got well on the deal. Their model 284 seems to be the industry standard for a good mortiser. I mention these to establish just how high the bar is for a quality mortiser.
  2. B

He has a long wait ahead

That saying made it over to the people that worked with machinery. "It was working when taken out of service".
  3. B

Carbon Method on hand tools?

I remember Moly-Di in spray cans back in the day. Left black streaks on wood. short lived fad.
  4. B

He has a long wait ahead

Google: Oliver ITCH head 50 plus years ago.
  5. B

He has a long wait ahead

I think that was a Newman head that Delta offered for a while as an upgrade accessory. That type of head has been around for decades from various planer makers. One day the carbide chippy heads of today will look like that. They work great until they don't.
  6. B

Holly cut down

I've had holly 'blue' on me in my younger days before someone told me about this. Since then, I've been careful to cut it up and get it drying as soon as I could. This significantly reduced the blueing.
  7. B

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

I once had a bench top hollow chisel mortiser that worked better than a drill press rig and the drill press rigs I was using were on the older USA-made presses. Keep an eye out for a used one. It is the Delta model 14-600 made in England by Multico that came out in 1991. Multico made some...
  8. B

Server maintenance

Great. My detox shakes are beginning to abate.
  9. B

Making side bead planes

As always with your posts, Wow. Thanks for a lot of vicarious fun.
  10. B

Dust collection on Table saw with external motor

I used one of those saws for years and never found dust to be a problem like one would find from a contractor's type saw. It blows the dust downward since the lower part of the blade is enclosed in a casting. (see below) DrBob has some good points. Occasionally the tilt and raise/lower pins...
  11. B

Water ring fixes on wood finish

I'm watching this thread with interest. I'd love to see some before and after photos plus what method was successful.
  12. B

New Air Compressor

Maybe the fittings are "Aro 210" rather than "Industrial Interchange", the profile commonly found at Harbor Freight. I've been using the Aro 210 profile 1/4" adapters since the late 1970s. By the 1990s, the 210 profile was not as common but I was too invested by then to change momentum.
  13. B

Can I cut Rockler's T-track with my miter saw?

That backwards mount blade is a method plastic and aluminum siding guys seem to prefer since that stuff is pretty thin.
  14. B

He has a long wait ahead

An amusing advertising hpye detail from the 1999 catalog showing that planer. "If you're looking for an industrial-duty planer that will outlast the building you put it in, look no further" Doesn't appear that there's much left of the building :-)
  15. B

He has a long wait ahead

I think Heath's assessment is likely spot on. My copy of a 1994 Griz catalog doesn't show a 24" planer, just a 20" four poster. There are way too many missing essential running components to make that a project at any price. Maybe they're just trying to get an offer from someone willing to...
  16. B

He has a long wait ahead

...or a very low opinion of woodworker's cognitive skills.
  17. B

Speaking of SawStop

I think you guys are being silly. What do you think a radial arm saw is for? :)
  18. B

riving knife

A Starrett 1604R-6 6" rule is $50 - $60.00. The 12" is about a C-note at retail. That Woodpecker stuff has to be something really special and not aluminum.
  19. B

Rusty Brown and Sharpe combination square

Some stains, particularly on cast iron, can be too deep to easily remove. Think cold drink circle on a cast iron top. Some blades I've had in the past were so well used that they were rounded on the edges from scriber use. Those blades I had to replace if the head was still good. I have had...
  20. B

Boice Crane 12" Planer

The motor and NEMA grade mag starter are worth the asking price. That's a heavy duty and durable machine not to mention a very quiet running machine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS