1. H

Windsor Chair Making at Warren Wilson College

Thanks,Hank Great Idea!
  2. H

Thanks Mike: Sorry you can't make it. Bill
  3. H

Hey Ken: The chair from the legs up is exactly the same as the rocker. Since Elia will be doing the turnings, I don't see why not. He can simply turn the rocker legs given some lead time. I'll write him a note to check. Bill
  4. H

Yes, that would be great. Thanks Mike Bill
  5. H

Hi: I am a member of North Carolina Woodworker(Herebrooks) and would like to post about an up coming Windsor Chairmaking Class with Elia Bizzarri. The class will take place from July 14th until the 20th. The class will build the venerable Comb Back Windsor in 7 days. We've made a few change to...
  6. H

NCWW West - Asheville Lunch (Pictures too!) - NEW DATE 25th 11:30 venue TBD

Hi Hank: I live near Asheville and would like to join your lunch bunch. I am involved in the Fine Woodworking program at Warren Wilson College just outside of Asheville an would suggest their cafeteria as a good place to hold the meeting(if it's open that day, I will check). It's cafeteria style...
  7. H

Elia Bizzarri Windsor Class

We still have spots open for Elia's Continuous Arm Windsor Class at Warren Wilson College March 18 until March 23, six days of intensive instruction on all aspects of building this infamous American Chair. The cost is 695.00 with a 130.00 material charge if you want Elia to prepare your turnings...
  8. H

Continuous Arm Windsor Class

Hello All: I want to announce the upcoming chairmaking class at Warren Wilson College just outside Asheville NC. from March 18, 2013 until March 23, 2013 with Elia Bizzari. Elia is one of the rising stars of Windsor Chairmaking. Many of you have seen him featured on Roy Underhill's "Woodwright...
  9. H

Madagascar ebony

From my cold dead hands!!!!!
  10. H

LARGE Sycamore Tree

It was the first time I met Scott Smith. I stood back, somewhat in awe of the size of his truck and trailer that he had just driven 250 miles to pick up the LARGE SYCAMORE logs that veteran tree surgeon John Walker had managed to lay down in one piece just where he wanted it. The tree had been...
  11. H

Sinker Cypress

Hi Jeff: As a Florida woodworker for many years, I grew to love Cypress, river recovered cypress in particular. I had a job once where the clients flew me up to central Florida to pick out the wood from a small sawmill back in the "swamp". It is still my favorite wood to work with. It has...
  12. H

Walnut log

Right you are Jeff. It doesn't seem to have degraded(split) but I'll slap some on tomorrow. Thanks, Bill
  13. H

Walnut log

This log is 19" in diameter, 90" long, and 31" across the arms. It is in perfect condition and should have spectacular grain patterns across the crotch. Scribner calulator estimates 110 board feet of useable lumber although the real value of the log is the grain patterns the crotch will produce...
  14. H

LARGE Sycamore Tree

Hey Jeff: I totally agree! By some estimates, the tree is at least eighty years old...a little like chopping down "Gramps". The reason it's being taken down is so a sign for a church can be erected(sigh!) Anyway, I drove past a pile of logs for weeks and finally decided to find out about them...
  15. H

LARGE Sycamore Tree

A LARGE Sycamore tree is being taken down on Monday. It is approximately 42 inches in diameter and about eighty feet high. Logs maybe cut to size as it is being dropped in one piece and a trackhoe is on site to load onto your trailer. Offers are being accepted. The logs MUST be gone by the...
  16. H

Dust Collection Pipe Size

Hi Susan: My experience has been that 4" pipe is sufficient unless you have very long runs(like 25' or more). Perhaps your CFM(cubic feet per minute) is not enough from your dust collector. I have used metal 4" in my first shop and 4" thin walled PVC(Much cheaper) in my second. In my current...
  17. H

Advice on j/p and bandsaw purchase

Hi Tom: I can only surmise that you are doing some serious woodworking as these machines are serious indeed. I have had an Italian combination machine( Nicoletti) for thirty one years and have never regretted it. It takes only the length of time for the motor to stop spinning to change modes(19...
  18. H

Rob Cosman Class

Hj: One more note about the Cosman class. He uses Lie Nielsen chisels which come from the factory ground at a thirty degree bevel. Rob regrinds them to 25 degree(slightly sharper).
  19. H

Rob Cosman Class

Hi Jim: I did get to try his dovetail saw during one of the breaks. It's great! It has finer teeth at the end of the blade to get the cut started and more aggressive ones toward the handle. It is quite heavy to allow the saw to employ the downward pressure. It has about a 2" depth of cut. The...
  20. H

Rob Cosman Class

Hi Chuck:This class was very general, with no hands on other than trying his saw or planes. He did three sections. Sharpening and hand planes, dovetails, and mortise and tenon. He has the gift of gab so there was a running commentary during each three hour session. An apt description I read...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS