Search results

1. Warren

What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

I have concrete floor and wear Hoka shoes. There are miscellaneous foam mats but at the lathe I use a horse stall liner which is good for a few hours of standing. Then time to stop for the day.
  2. Warren

Looking for Small Tablesaw

I have small cast iron 7" table saw with sliding table. Also have extra blades. Send message if interested. Extremely accurate. I’ve used for picture frames before updating to other methods. Complete with motor. For table top only or make a stand.
  3. Warren

finish advise for small turned items, (bottle stoppers, small handles, etc)

I do mostly bowls on the lathe and don't use al lot of finishes. However, I have the 'PSI buffing system and it is a worthwhile purchase for finishing any item including briar pipes.
  4. Warren

Determining the curved dimensions for a range hood.

Made a curved top trunk few years ago. There was a web site that showed how to lay out a partial circle for the top. Don't remember the site, the subject was how to construct old steamer trunk. It should help lay out a partial circle for the hood.
  5. Warren

Best table saw (NOT Sawstop)

1990 Unisaw only replaced belts with matched set. Also Somerville sliding table. Could not ask for better.
  6. Warren

Shop Floor Mat / Tile Suggestions?

Check out "stall liners" at Tractor Supply. I have them by my lathe and my feet appreciate them.
  7. Warren

Let’s Talk Dovetail Jigs - Follow-Up

I have a D4 24 " and use it rarely. I have the MMT jig that has a lot of use. It is works quite well and worth the extra cost.
  8. Warren

spalted wood

I've had better luck when dry. Keep tools sharp or lots of 60 grit sandpaper as some species have bad fuzzies on end grain.
  9. Warren

cutting board clamping

I use wax paper + under clamps touching the boards.
  10. Warren

Bad Band Saw Blade

I had issues with new Timberwolf same size as yours. Called them with the problem and they sent a new blade which was good. Call them and describe your issues. They take customers complaints seriously.
  11. Warren

Router table help

I've had my tabletop made using 3/4 mdf and formica (both sides) for about 15 years. Still flat and smooth. Used phenolic for the router insert. Been very happy with it.
  12. Warren

Untreated 4x4x10’ lumber?

Capital City had longer ones that I needed a couple of years age.
  13. Warren

Jet 1640 lathe Problems

MT #2 is stuck. I removed spindle from tailstock have had no luck attempting to knock it out. Don't have arbor press, so am at a loss and any suggestions are welcome. Furthermore, cannot re-insert the spindle into tailstock. Since my shop is ~50 F, I am assuming the issue is steel and cast iron...
  14. Warren

Partial success super tuning grinder

When I bought my CBN wheels from woodturnerswonders.com, they included (as a promotion) 2 sets of precision ground washers. They are only a few $ and the wheels run smoothly with no vibration.
  15. Warren

Nova 1624 II?

Had one with extended bed. No issues with bowls <12" and a couple of rocking chairs with 45" backs. Upgraded to vfd Jet 16-24 for smaller items. and easier speed control.
  16. Warren

Craftsman router lathe crafter

I have the Craftsman's version in the shop somewhere. Used very little and has all parts. Given the going price, I would sell it.
  17. Warren

Why not cut the edges off first?

The only "name" tool I have is Sorry 1 1\2" roughing gouge. I have some Penn State & Highland Hardware skews and gouges I'm happy with. I use Woodworkers Wonders sharpening set up and found that to give outstanding results. As Dennis implied, sharpening is very important.
  18. Warren

Relative costs for dust collection ductwork

One suggestion: the web has diy sites for making blast gates using tempered 1/4 masonite and pine. Router with trammel will make 6" holes. I used those + some 4".
  19. Warren

Relative costs for dust collection ductwork

I used 6" plastic pipe from Agra Supply at least 15 years ago (cost then was about $1.00/foot. It is flared on one end so assembly was easy. At that time I used wye and elbows (plastic and sheet metal) from Home Depot. Used RTV to seal all joints. At the time, HD had 6" to 4" reducers. I recall...
  20. Warren

Overthinking the Lathe

Not sure where you live, but NC State offered adult night classes when I purchased my lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS