Search results

1. B

Questions about drum sander feed angle.

I'm going to be picking up a drum sander from frazierk's classified ad this week (performax 16 32) and have been reading up on them. It seems that other than material removal speed the drawback is that the sander leaves lines on the workpiece that need to be cleaned up. I've read that you can...
  2. B

Things to look for with used refrigerated dryer

I've got a line on a used Great Lakes GRF-40a-116 refrigerated air dryer capable of up to 40 scfm to work with my compressor (16 CFM @ 90, 14.1 @ 140 psi) This particular unit uses R134A as the refrigerant, which is attractive to me. Are there any testing procedures or things I should look for...
  3. B

Andy Rooney has passed away.

It wasn't too long ago that we discussed the retirement of American news icon Andy Rooney. I just saw that he has died at the age of 92. Google News coverage
  4. B

Planer in/outfeed tables: rollers vs. cast iron

On my new to me planer, a 15" Jet JWP 15CS, the in and outfeed tables have a steel frame with rollers. In my reading on various forums I"ve seen where people have considered the cast iron infeed and outfeed tables to be a substatial upgrade. Other than the vibration reducing and visual...
  5. B

Need seasoned advice on electrical

I've been using a temporary 220 line for a bit, but with winter coming up and outside projects presumably slowing down, I'd like to get my garage shop set up better. Here's a list of pertinent information: Equipment needing electricity Rigid R4511 tablesaw - 1.5 hp 220 or 110 Delta...
  6. B

Failed Shop Tour....

This past week, while up in Massachusetts, I was able to meet one of the woodworking instructors from the Rhode Island School of Design and he invited me to see his shop and projects he was working on. On Friday, I loaded my daughter up in the car and got on the road headed to Providence...
  7. B

Brain Game: Spot the difference in two pictures

This is a piece of wood I bought for $0.25 at Habitat for Humanity a few months ago. I don't see much difference between it and the other picture..... the only thing is the crack extending from the occipital lobe through the boundary between the parietal and temporal lobes... Edit: for...
  8. B

OSHA tools to help with shop safety

I have been researching OSHA compliance for my work and decided that I would check into what they have online about wood shop safety. They have a free online woodworking eTool covering topics such as rough milling, assembly, finishing, etc. The eTool can be found here: OSHA eTool They...
  9. B

DQ qualified but Klingspor doesn't know it :(

Every time I go to Klingspor, I don't show up as being DQ qualified. They take me for my word that I am and I could always just pull up my profile on my phone to show them, but I didn't know if this would be affecting others as well. (On a side note - I feel bad for even filing a...
  10. B

Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon four cylinder compressor

Gloat and Hot deal :) While returning some stuff at Lowes, I saw that the Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon compressor had been put on clearance from $799 down to $439.45. I asked the sales manager if he would go lower, so he made a phone call, and offered me $375. I countered with $300, and we...
  11. B

Impossible nail trick

I've never seen it before, and thought it was pretty cool :) might have to make one for my nieces and nephews to try to figure out. Impossible nail trick video
  12. B

wilmington/wallace area handplanes

Hey guys, I've really been wanting to learn how to use handtools, and a recent death in the family has made me realize that there's no time like the present. I have a small set of the blue Irwin/Marples chisels, a cheap dovetail saw that's good enough to learn on, and a few other beginner hand...
  13. B

If you need help identifying wood....

Here ya go: :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:
  14. B

For those of you with an 8" grinder...

I just picked up a Delta 8" variable speed grinder (1725 -3450 RPM), and while far from being non-usable, there is a decent bit of vibration. I took one of the wheels off and rotated it 180 degrees and reinstalled it, dressed both wheels, all the things that seemed like common sense to me...
  15. B

Sharpening gloat

I scored a set of shapton glass stones from a guy at knifeforums.com for a great deal; the 220, 1000, 2000, 6000, 8000 and 16000 grit stones for $170 shipped. In addition to my previous score of DMT D8XX, D8C, D8F, and D8EF ($100) I should be able to get an edge :)
  16. B

East Carolina new guy

Hi, all, I've been a member since March '09 but I've only really been a consistent lurker here since the beginning of the year, and feel like it's time I introduce myself :) I've been an eastern NC native my entire life. I was born in Fayetteville, spent a few years in Kinston and Wallace, but...
  17. B

Bandsaw Tune-Up Guide

Hey everyone, I recently bought a delta 28-276 14" bandsaw (my first woodworking tool - $150 bucks :) ) and was searching online for information to help get it running right. Many people have suggested Mark Duginske's book on bandsaws, so I googled it and actually came up with a...
  18. B

Delta 14" bandsaw $150 instead of $420

On sawmillcreek, there is a deal alert about a Delta bandsaw for 150. My local store wouldn't pricematch at first, because the receipts on SMC were from different states, but I talked to the manager and he made a phone call to his manager, who gave the green light. The saw in question is...
  19. B

36" bandsaw on raleigh craigslist, $1000

Not my bandsaw, but holy cow! http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1519760857.html

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors