Search results

1. H

Rikon lathe 220v help...

Thanks so much for the kind offer, it's something I might consider doing if I can't locate one to try. They seem to be back ordered in most places. I have a Record Envoy and it's a fantastic lathe, just thought I'd take a look at the Rikon if I decide to make a switch. Thanks again, Harold
  2. H

Rikon lathe 220v help...

Rob, I've been considering buying the Rikon 70-1824 and will just be using 110v. My questions are: What are your likes and dislikes and where did you purchase it? I'd like to see, touch and feel one before buying. Can't seem to locate one in the AVL area. Thanks.
  3. H

Looking to buy a new lathe...

I'm so sorry Brian, it sold two weeks ago. It found a new home in Concord.
  4. H

Sourwood

I turn sourwood quite often, usually with a natural edge. It's has a rough looking bark and it really turns out very nice for a natural edge bowl. I find the wood quite easy to turn and when finished it looks very pretty. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed
  5. H

Looking to buy a new lathe...

Due to some physical issues ( shoulder and back with months of rehab) I've listed my Nova Orion on Asheville Craigslist and listed it on this site as well.
  6. H

Nova Orion

Michael, I have used it and I'm well pleased. I bought this direct from Teknatool.com because I don't think it's on the market yet? Teknatool has 20 preproduction models on sale and all they ask in return is for the buyer to evaluate the lathe. Go to their web site and check out all the specs.
  7. H

Nova Orion

I couldn't stand it any longer, had to have one ! I've had the Orion for two weeks and am looking forward for many years of use out of a very fine lathe. It has an 18" swing, comes standard with a 22" bed extension, rotating head stock and of course the variable speed DVR motor. Do you think it...
  8. H

Nova Orion Lathe

I too owned the Galaxi (and loved everything about it) but sold it thinking I didn't need a lathe with a long bed since I only turned bowls. Now I'm thinking the Orion will certainly fill my needs since it will let me extend the bed length, when needed. I like the 18" swing too.
  9. H

Nova Orion Lathe

Has anyone seen or read about the new Nova Orion Lathe. Go to Acme Tools to see and read about it. I think I might put this one on my bucket list. It should be available within the next 30 to 60 days. What do you think?
  10. H

Which wood is good for turning a simple carvers mallet?

One other very tough wood not mentioned is Black Gum.It is very hard and once was used to make wagon wheels. I just cut one last week and I plan to turn a mallet from it. I remember farmers used to make work sleds (pulled by horses)from it also.
  11. H

Sealing green wood

Oh yes, I cut the pith out and it will be used for fire wood for the guys that I gave the tree to.Looks like I'm set? And now just the waiting and oh yes the process of buying another lathe since I sold my Delta 46-460 over the weekend.And the beat goes on,and on,and on.......
  12. H

Sealing green wood

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not,but here goes.. I just recently had a large maple tree cut in my woods. I have cut several short logs into slabs for future use.My question is this. Do I need to just seal the end grain of the slabs ( keeping in mind that the bark is on two sides of...
  13. H

Miter sled

Thanks for the info,guys.
  14. H

Miter sled

Can anyone recommend a site for building a miter sled, for cutting segments on a table saw? Thanks.
  15. H

It's Here! Caution - New Lathe Gloat

Awesome!!!! Yeah,but can it cook? Not that I'm very jealous or anything like that. If I bought one of those I would be looking for a new cook. :rotflm:
  16. H

Thompson Turning Tools vs. Others

Hi everyone! What are some of your likes and dislikes of the Thompson turning tools vs. some of the other brands that you might own? I have some Sorby's and Penn Ind. and thought I might try a couple of Thompson's. Packard has their own brand( Sheffield Steele) that look good too. Thanks.:icon_scra
  17. H

Sorby Slim Parting Tool

I considered making a slim parting tool but saw this one on sale and thought it wouldn't break the bank and would also come in handy.:eusa_danc
  18. H

Sorby Slim Parting Tool

Just thought I'd pass this info. along to everyone .Hartville Tool has the Sorby slim parting tool (item #78242) on sale for $19.98 plus shipping and also the Sorby Fingernail Bowl gouges (1/4" for $39 item#88351), (3/8" for $49 item#77870), and (1/2" for $59 item #77880). Go to...
  19. H

Two Years I've Been Watching This Burl....

There is another way to look at your situation. If you wait to cut it, lightning could strike the tree and then you would have nothing. However, the most likely scenario is that one of these guys will come to your house in the dark of night and cut it down. Wish I had your problem.Oh yes! Now...
  20. H

Oak burl (gloat)

Ken, Lord willing I hope you make it next year too and I certainly include myself also ! Of course you've probably heard the saying " IF YOU WANT TO MAKE GOD SMILE, JUST MAKE A PLAN ! Hope you have a great winter so keep in touch.:gar-Bi

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS