Search results

1. crokett

Walnut in Graham NC

A friend of mine has a fair bit of walnut. It is rough sawn to either 8/4 or 4/4, originally it was cut to 10' long but with checking on the ends you won't get quite that much. It is air dried but has been drying for at least a few years. He has at least a few hundred board feet left...
  2. crokett

In Need Of A Wide Belt Sander

I have some wood that a luthier gave me that is too small to make guitars out of but I can use it for ukuleles. It's 5 or 6 pieces, the widest is probably 14". As-is it is too thick to be used for a uke and too thin to plane. I live in the RPT area of NC and am willing to go as far west as...
  3. crokett

Edit An Ad

I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I posted an classified add but want to add more pictures and a price.
  4. crokett

need wood turner for a demonstration

My parents own a small heritage farm. They are having a farm day on April 24th. My dad asked about doing turning demonstrations. It will be a little sketchy for me. We have our house under contract so my shop is getting packed up. It wouldn't cost you anything and there would be space to...
  5. crokett

Is There Somebody With a Pressure Pot in or near RTP NC?

I have some fairly punky pignut hickory. I was hoping it could be stablized, possibly with some colored resin. I want to make a travel coffee mug out of it so it is a larger piece - about 3" square by 10" long. Could this be done? I will pay for it, or I can barter walnut, hickory, cedar, or...
  6. crokett

I Can See The Future

and it involves sanding (at least mine does). 6 bowls waiting and I am working on a 7th. :wsmile:
  7. crokett

What's Wrong With My Turning Tool?

I made myself a bent hollower/undercut tool. I have a small sorby - 3/8" round steel but wanted something larger and longer. I used 1/2" square steel and did the bend in my dad's forge, then drilled and tapped for a screw to hold a carbide cutter. The cutter is 1/2" round. The problem is when...
  8. crokett

Oak Blanks

I have a tree guy coming out to look at an oak I need to get taken down. It is still alive, but is leaning and has been for a while - at some point before we bought the house something pushed it partially over. Anyway, it is ~20" across at the base. I don't know if it is red oak, white oak or...
  9. crokett

Some Recent Work

Stocking stuffers: These are my first small turnings. After my wife saw these it was announced that I am making most of the Christmas gifts next year. A set of wine glasses: wihite oak burl bowl, 5" dia 3" high: Finish is CA over BLO, I added the BLO for a little color. white oak...
  10. crokett

HF Carbide Tool Tips

Has anyone used the carbide tool tips from HF? I am going to try to get to my dad's forge this weekend to make a larger hollowing tool. I will plan on it having replaceable tips. I saw the ones at HF. If you used them. how did you attach them to your tool?
  11. crokett

A Burl Bowl

White oak burl that somebody gave me. A commission of sorts. Here is the rough turning. there was a ton of bark. You can see that in the first pic. I turned it down smaller then I wanted, then dug out the rest of it. In the second pic you see the void. That will stay for the final turning...
  12. crokett

Pen Blanks for Pens For Veterans Or The Like

I don't do pens but have some cut-offs from various projects. Right now I have walnut and mulberry and an unkown wood. I hate throwing away wood. I'd like to give the stuff to somebody who will use it, ideally for pens for veterans or some-such. If you are part of a turning club (or not)...
  13. crokett

Planning An End-Grain Box

as a birthday gift for my wife. I want it to have a finial and a foot. The loose plan is to turn the stock for the box round, cut tenons on each end, then cut the tenon/part the lid off all between centers. Next I would hollow the top and bottom in the chuck and do final sanding and finish...
  14. crokett

Class Tonight

Green Mulberry. About 9" wide and 5" high. Mulberry is interesting, it didn't really create much in the way of long peelings. I did some practicing last week on some firewood with gouge technique. I've been having problems with depth control but the practicing helped a lot on this bowl.
  15. crokett

DNA Method For Drying A Bowl

This is admittedly a very small sample but... a 12" green polar bowl and a 10" green poplar bowl soaked in DNA a few weeks ago are both just about dry and ready to finish. A green 8" walnut bowl that was nonetheless not nearly as wet as the poplar was turned last week and not soaked in DNA. I...
  16. crokett

Sharpening A Handsaw

I have 2 handsaws, a Disston and a Ridgid. I want to refile the Ridgid to rip and sharpen the Disston. This write-up makes it seem pretty straight forward, although I will have to make a wood jaw set for my bench vise and I need to find a source for the files. Is there anything else I need or...
  17. crokett

My Roadside Find

Well I got the log cut today. Ended up with 4 bowl blanks and an end-grain box blank. Here are 2 of them. I can get about an 8" bowl I think from each. It is much prettier than I expected. If you are near Hillsborough and want to stop, the work was done on the by-pass from 70 to the...
  18. crokett

I Think I Am An Addict

I dropped my daughter off at school and on the way back to my home office saw where there was some work done clearing trees at the power lines. So I stopped. Got a decent piece of something. I think the real problem is now I am sitting here wondering what errand I can run this weekend to go...
  19. crokett

More Pictures From Class

It has been a few weeks. Here's what I did tonight. It is about 13". The instructor thinks I might lose it. I turned it down just under 1" and he is afraid it will warp too much to be able to finish it. I sure hope that doesn't happen.
  20. crokett

Learned How To Weld Today

Made my version of the wolverine grinding jig out of 3.00 worth of tube steel, 2 old mower blades and a machine screw. Also had a great couple hours with my dad. The welds aren't pretty but I don't think they will break. I still need to do more shaping with my angle grinder. When I have...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors