Search results

1. J

Brown heart?!?!?

I've never purchased any lumber from Woodcraft or Klingspor. Purpleheart has a chemical, called something like phioncil (can't remember exactly), that is soluble to any spirits or spirit based finishes. The spirits wipe of this chemical and dull it to brown. I have used Purpleheart on a few...
  2. J

Brown heart?!?!?

Purpleheart is deep violet when cut only. It always matures to a dark brown. But it should always be purple when cut , planed, or sanded. What you have may not be true Purpleheart. True Purpleheart is very dense and dulls tool edges easily. If you want to keep the deep violet color of the...
  3. J

Gorilla glue

I use polyurathane glues for many repairs. The Gorilla is just a brand name and about the hardest to use. As for moisture, poly glues require moisture to cure. If the joint is sufficiently clamped it makes a far superior joint than titebond II. The better poly glues do have foam out but it is...
  4. J

Bandsaw Infeed/Outfeed Table(s)

Just one other thing I can add. When I resaw thin material, such as veneer, i use a point fence which allows you to steer the board during the sawing operation.
  5. J

Ipe anyone?

Ipe is somewhat toxic. Much like many tropical hardwoods, it has a chemical similar to poison ivy, only not as bad. It is hard on the lungs and the skin so take precautions. I have installed thousands of square feet in my years in the flooring industry. Also at any rate if it comes s4s you will...
  6. J

Bandsaw Infeed/Outfeed Table(s)

Be careful cranking the tension too high. It can burn up the bearings in the wheels. I don't remember how big of a blade that grizzly will take but you can get blades strictly for resawing, such as the Resaw Master. My 17" saw will take a one inch blade, which I know there are resaw blades that...
  7. J

Material for benchtops

Thanks alot Steve. I'll try to get out there Friday and take a look. Spent the First entire day at the new shop today. Much more enjoyable than working on someones house.
  8. J

What planes are best for end grain???

My thoughts on proper chip breaker position and flatness is that it produces even pressure on the knife. Without that the knife can move around a bit, I admit only a small amount of movement can occur, but any movement takes away from the tool cutting as well as it could.
  9. J

What planes are best for end grain???

The toughest thing about handplanes is proper tuning. Out of the box they are far from ready for use. Even if the blade is surgical sharp the chipbreaker may need to be flattened, the frog may need filing, the sole flattened, and a hot of other things. There are many good books and articles...
  10. J

Derek

Hey Derek, I have been building furniture with my grandfather since I was 12 years old. You never stop learning. My best advice would be; buy good quality tools, read everything you can get your hands on, don't worry about going to slow at first, and the worst thing is you have to market...
  11. J

Material for benchtops

There are several wood suppliers in Penn just outside of Baltimore, MD. Groff and Groff, Hearne hardwoods, Goodhope Hardwoods to name a few. These companies have a wide range of woods and can be found on the internet.
  12. J

Beginners question about PT

You sure are right about the dust. That stuff is terrible for anyone to work with. I have found that PT (I call it Greasewood) will dull tool edges much quicker than most any other woods. I do nnot know if it is the chemicals or the moisture. If I were to have to, and I repeat have to plane or...
  13. J

Material for benchtops

Thanks for the information. I am planning a bench much like the David Charlseworth design. For that I need the 12/4 material. Another bench at the shop will have a laminated top. I am planning a buying trip to Pennsylvania in January where I know I can get the material. If I could get it...
  14. J

Material for benchtops

Anyone know where to find (locally) either hard Maple or Beech in 12/4 in lengths around 8 feet? Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS