Search results

1. J

Tormek Grinding Wheel Change

I have the 1200 grit diamond wheel on my Tormek. It has been enough so far for all my limited needs.
  2. J

Home security system

I am not going to pay for the monthly monitoring that goes on forever. I just want the cameras and, for now, will not try the window and door sensors or motion detectors. May add those later. I want to be able to take a look around my house when I am gone and the hopefully the crooks can see...
  3. J

Home security system

My old wired security system finally gave up. Now I am looking at adding some security camera etc. I do NOT want to hire a company and end up paying $40/month for life for monitoring. I have two Ring doorbells cameras but that is it. A friend has Simply Safe. Just wondering what you guys have...
  4. J

Logs For Log Home Wanted

As a younger man I started my business career with a Log Home franchise from a company up in New England. They sold kits with still green logs. I had a great start with the business but it stalled after a couple of years when I discovered the issue with wood boring insects that love moisture in...
  5. J

Problem with Lacquer

As a hobbyist, I had a HPLV system that I used for Lacquer. As I used it seldom, I sold it, and converted to the rattle can Lacquers. I see no difference and love the ease of set up (which is none) and the quality is the same.
  6. J

Panto Router VS Multi Router

I know you asked for experience on both of the machines, but I can chime in on the Pantorouter. I have had mine for about 6 months now and love it. Short learning curve and easy to work with.
  7. J

Whiteside Dovetail bit set #605

Brand new, 1/2" shank dovetail/straight bits set of 6 with 2 straight bits and 4 dovetail bits. Amazon has it at $130. I will deliver for $100 if anyone is interested. Comes in its own case. This set came with my Incra router table set up. Very easy to google and take a look at the set.
  8. J

Changed my tune

I am a serious hobbyist that loves tools and loves to have them around, some maybe not pulling their weight, but having them is part of the fun and joy of the hobby. I recently bought the Pantorouter, even though I have a Domino. Love going into my shop and looking at it as well as other tools...
  9. J

Changed my tune

Buy the best you can afford for your level. A good tool eliminates some frustration and errors.
  10. J

Good YouTubers to follow?

Sampson Boat Company. Restoring an old boat but fine woodworking through it all. I have been watching for at least 4 years and will be sad when he finally finishes.
  11. J

New Member form Weaverville, NC.

NCSU as well, graduated in 1976. Love Weaverville.
  12. J

Smokeless firepit table

The base was a square using 2"X8" cypress with some feet on the bottom to allow air flow and keep the cypress off the tile floor it would be setting on. The feet were just some 2"X2" cypress pieces that I soaked in a water repellent.
  13. J

Smokeless firepit table

It has been great. Only a few tiny spark marks. As everyone has been so happy with it, I have gotten my arm twisted and now am starting on another one for another family member. The one change I will make is making the gap between the firepit and the wood surround slightly smaller as there has...
  14. J

Who I am...

Welcome from another sawdust guy from Wilmington.
  15. J

Gotta wait for the money tree to get ripe for this one

I am a big fan of nice tools, even if it is not justified for my hobby. I wish I had not seen this one and will try to forget. Just bought the Super Cool Tools fence about a year ago......We will see if I can quiet my tool emotions down.
  16. J

Need 8/4 rough cypress

Thanks for all responses. I think I have found some reclaimed 8/4 but will give the guy in Burgaw a call as that is the closest. I sent an email asking for rough, but the response came back finished. I assumed that was all they had.
  17. J

Need 8/4 rough cypress

I can get finished cypress, but the price I got from Wall Lumber was for finished and I need to do the milling to get the size I need. I was hoping to find this somewhere close to Wilmington or in Eastern NC. Anybody know a sawmill where I can get rough dry cypress?
  18. J

Help With Cloudy Finish

I just re sanded and finished it in my shop with the air conditioning down. Worked great. I had moved outside due to better light and did not understand about the humidity issues with lacquer
  19. J

Problem with lacquer finish/Finished table pictures

Just finished this piece that I had all the issues with the lacquer finish.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors