Search results

1. McRabbet

cutting a radius

I guess that's why we say some doctors just practice medicine. What a dolt!
  2. McRabbet

Dust Collection -- Tin or PVC

PVC duct pipe will build up a static charge on its surface as particulates run through it. While more a nuisance than a hazard, the charge can best be dissipated using a strip of metallic HVAC tape along the length with short sections of copper wire between short screws to jumper joints and a...
  3. McRabbet

You are trying to recall the originator Ed Morgano who with his son lived in Pickens, SC where they fabricated the cyclones in their shop building before they sold the company in the late 1990's. The new owners were three brothers -- the Busheys -- who managed the company (James) from Vermont...
  4. McRabbet

I am a proponent of 6" (and 4") Sewer & Drain PVC (ASTM D-2729) with 6x6x6 or 6x6x4 wyes and 45 degree elbows. Minimize use of Flexible duct due to high static pressure drop per foot and place blast gates close to machines. I have a ClearVue CV-1800 5HP cyclone. Check Clearvue Cyclones website...
  5. McRabbet

SOLD Eight-Inch Rockwell / Delta Jointer - Hickory, NC GovDeals .com

The plug looks like a three-wire twistlock NEMA L5-20 (20 Amp) or L6-30 (30 Amp) at 120VAC.
  6. McRabbet

Chris (@Redknife)

Sorry to hear this sad news -- my thoughts go out to his friends and family.
  7. McRabbet

Stanley 98 / 99 side rabbet pair

I purchased a LV Veritas Side Rabbet Plane for $129 seven years ago -- it has only gone up $20 in price since then and is equivalent to the Stanley 79 shown earlier in this thread. Works like a charm.
  8. McRabbet

Over the top shop!

Superb craftsmanship!! Thanks for sharing the link.
  9. McRabbet

What CNC’s do you all have, and what software are you using for CAD/CAM?

Scienci LongMill MK2 30 X 48 with Vortex (rotary). Vectric VCarve Pro for CAD/CAM software.
  10. McRabbet

David Marks Woodworks Series on YouTube

Thanks for this news, Mark. I remember his TV show and will look forward to his episodes.
  11. McRabbet

Man From The North

Welcome to the forum Jay -- I was born and raised in NY (the Rochester area) as well. Settled in NC in the mid-80's with the past 20 in the mountains of western NC. I loved your intro to the group and concur with your love of the heart of our craft, the beauty of wood.
  12. McRabbet

Wood identification help

I agree with @creasman, it looks like Sweet Gum to me as well. Ease of splitting will reveal if it is not because SG has gnarly, complex cross grain.
  13. McRabbet

Anyone interest in a commission?

If what we see is a well-built set with quality materials and craftsmanship, then the proposal is a travesty.
  14. McRabbet

What is it ?

My guess was on a whim -- I have an old deadeye from a merchant schooner's rigging that was sunk in Lake Ontario during the War of 1812 -- same dark coloration and it does sink.
  15. McRabbet

What is it ?

If one of the small pieces sink in a bowl of water, it could be Lignum vitae. which is one of the hardest and densest wood known.
  16. McRabbet

Hi to all

Jason, Welcome to NCWW! I'm also from Hendersonville and have been a long-time member of this forum. If you are interested in meeting and working with local western NC woodworkers, consider joining the next meeting of the Western NC Woodworkers Association who meet at 9:30 AM every second...
  17. McRabbet

Worksharp 3000 questions

The electroplated diamond disks that @Mike Davis mentioned are inexpensive (currently under $18 on Amazon) and they work very well. I've had them on my WS3000 since 2015 and have used them every time I sharpen my chisels or plane blades. I don't have a leather surfaced plate, but instead...
  18. McRabbet

Intro of new member

Oh Oh! ScottM may lose his Klingspor's discount card! Just kidding, but there is a Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Asheville (actually in Fletcher on Rutledge Rd off Airport Rd). More than an hour closer than the Hickory store and I have never encountered anyone with concerns with the Fletcher...
  19. McRabbet

Asheville- Scrounger’s Paradise

A great source of plywood and flooring materials. As Mike said, be aware of pricing, but he does have lots to drool over!
  20. McRabbet

Password failed several days in a row!

Same issue, it is a bummer

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS