Search results

1. dpsnyder

Large burl ideas

I have had this large burl growing on my property and we just sold out house, so it was time to harvest it. It is massive and weighs about 200 lbs! I think it's cherry, not sure. Any ideas on what to do with it?
  2. dpsnyder

Miter saws for use close to a wall

Have a new dewalt 12" dual bevel sliding and it is a beast, but sticks out from wall on bench further than I want as the rails extend beyond. Anyone used the Makita side slide miter saw? Benefit is it sits a lot closer to wall on a shop work bench. 12" dual bevel. Seems like with compressed...
  3. dpsnyder

Froglips aka Jim Campbell

I understand many in this list were not aware, so wanted to post this with his family's blessing... Jim, age 49, passed away on Feb 18, 2020 after a battle against oral cancer. Many will remember Jim as one of the earlier administrators on this site. I met him through NCWW on one of the shop...
  4. dpsnyder

Hand planes for sale. **SOLD**

More from Jim Campbell's (Froglips) collection. He has a variety of hand planed in various stages of repair and use. He was forever buying things at auctions :) Attached are some pics, if interested let me know and what price is reasonable. Ashley and Parker, his son, will appreciate it...
  5. dpsnyder

Froglips shopsmith for sale. **Sold**

Some of you may remember Jim Campbell, aka Froglips, on this site from past years. He passed away early last year and I am helping his family getting rid of what's left of his tools. He has a Mark V ShopSmith with a lot of parts. Probably needs some shining up so not sure what it's worth...
  6. dpsnyder

Shop Electric Layout question

I am re-doing the wiring in my shop (about 20'x28') here is what I was thinking for a wiring layout - all 20A circults for outlets. don't know if this JPG is legible. 3-4 outlets max/circuit, mostly quad boxes with 2 circuits in the box along the benches. (lights all separate on 2 15A circuits)...
  7. dpsnyder

A new start!

Well it should be official by Monday - I bought a new shop! Of course the LOML points out that it is sitting next to a new house and on 10 acres of woods in Burlington! She get the house and carport and I get the 24x30 garage to fit out as I need. We're excited and will spend the next 6 weeks...
  8. dpsnyder

A good shop visit!

My BIL and I had a good time visiting Mike (wdkits1) in Midlothian VA near Richmnd Sunday morning. We snuck in before the snow came! We were treated to a beautiful gallery of Mikes intarsia work hanging on the walls of his house. Some beautiful scenery, the Monitcello with 800 (I think)...
  9. dpsnyder

Question on Dust Collection

A friend is putting in a new shop - 12' x 22' - and will be pouring a concrete floor. Before he does that he wondered about putting some dust collection tubes (I assume 4" PVC) in the floor bringing period ports up to the surface to connect to various equipment with solid and or flexible...
  10. dpsnyder

Latest project - walnut shelves

Just finished these nic-nac shelves for the bedroom wall. Walnut, a couple of coats of BLO, 2 coats of amber shellac, then for ease of application, I switched to clear spray shellac. Sanded to 400 grit with about 4 coats spray shellac. The grain really popped out nice. And no, I did not...
  11. dpsnyder

latest project - turned mallet

Over at Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers we have been honing our turning skills. Thought I share my project: a turned mallet with a celtic (sort of) cross in handle and decorative scallops. The handle is walnut with oak cross and ambrosia maple mallet with mahogony decorative scallops...
  12. dpsnyder

opinions?

I have to build a platform for a friends front loading washer and dryer. 2 platforms about 30x30 and 12" tall. He wants a drawer that rolls on the floor cut into the front as tall as I can make it. I was thinking of using a 2x12 as a frame with a piece of 3/4" ply on top. then cover the...
  13. dpsnyder

Shop changes based on Shop Crawl feedback

I was reminded at the picnic that I needed to report back on the shop reorg that started at the shop crawl in November. For those that were there I put a scaled graph paper in the middle of the shop and asked for ideas on rearranging it. Well no one was shy and I have implemented most of the...
  14. dpsnyder

Jointer Gloat!

Took possession tonight on a used Grizzly 8" jointer :eusa_danc:eusa_danc. A big thanks to jlimey (Jeff) for allowing me to help clear out his shop! And thanks to ebrant (ed) and froglips (Jim) for assisting in transporting it to my place tonight! Here are the pics, I need to rewire from 220...
  15. dpsnyder

It is finished!

Well, the play kitchen for my niece and nephew is finally finished. For those that missed earlier posts, it is a 3 piece set of wooden applians - stove, sink, and frig. All made from beach and walnut. I will be delivering the refrigerator as the final installment right after Memorial day. As...
  16. dpsnyder

current 15 or 20% HF coupons?

any one have any that still apply? Dan
  17. dpsnyder

Latest Projects - finished a bunch at once!

Made a cutting board with the Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers meetup. View image in gallery Finished a walnut picture frame over our King-size bed headboard (previous project) View image in gallery And then the big one... I finished the second installment on my niece's play kitchen...
  18. dpsnyder

PE Request - NW Raleigh to Hillsborough

Merrill77 has a squirrel cage fan & motor I'm trying to get to Hillsborough. I was wondering if anywone from that side of town was coming out to the Midwest tool Collectors meeting in Hillsborough on Saturday. Thought maybe someone might ferry it out this way. PM me if you can and I'll help...
  19. dpsnyder

Holbren Router bit sale

holbren.com/holbren/ Got this email: Holbren Brand Router Bits - Remaining Inventory Blowout!! Well folks, this is the last of our inventory for the Holbren brand of router bits. These are the same bits that Fine Woodworking tested in their last review giving them a "good" rating beating...
  20. dpsnyder

Surplus Warehouse discount

Was at the Surplus Warehouse in Durham and they have a 10% discount of their already very reasonable prices. Have to go to this website to download the 10% coupon BEFORE 1/1/2010 and then use it in the store between Jan 2-31, 2010. Dan

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS