Search results

1. John Reeves

Free - New home needed for old RO sanders

I have three older sanders that are in search of a new home. Two Porter Cable 5" and a Bosh finish sander. The porter Cable sanders need a new pad. The Bosh needs a hole punch for the dust collection holes.
  2. John Reeves

Old Member coming back in. Reeves Ridge Craftsmen

There were about 300 members when I joined. Steve Coles was active. Tom (Tool) Ferrone still had his "eye ball" as his avatar and was the manager at the old Woodcraft store. I really found my self enthralled by the restoration and curation of antique furniture. For the past 30 years, I have...
  3. John Reeves

Learning question

I am new to turning and have produced 20 or so spindles with success. I am trying out face turning and experimenting on scraps. My first scrap is ceder but the soft wood and plethora of knots are problematic, it seems. Am I just complaining or should I try to experiment of a species that has...
  4. John Reeves

Hello Again

It has been a while since I visied the site. I hope all of my old friends are doing well and I look forward to meeting new ones. John Reeves
  5. John Reeves

Center for Furniture Craftsmanship

Hi all. It has been a while since I posted. The site has grown and seems very healthy. I had the fortune to attend the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Main last week. http://www.woodschool.org This is an amazing school with an international exposure. I attended the SAWN VENEER...
  6. John Reeves

Sharpening recomendations

Since Tom has left Raleigh Saw, is it still a good place? I need to get my Festool 55 blade sharpened. As the blade is a bit more expensive, I want to make sure that I am still dealing with a reputable place. I got great results from them when Tom was there and I hope they have kept up the...
  7. John Reeves

Upholstered rocking chair

I am refurbishing a circa 1920 rocking chair made by Biggs or Briggs in Richmond. I have dissembled all of the joints, made the internal prices and kept the Cuban Mahogany. The seat is made with coil springs. I have tied the bottom and secured them in place. Should I also tie the tops? )They...
  8. John Reeves

Colonial Williamsburg Woorking Wood

in the 18 th Century - Bedroom Furniture A truly wonderful experience. We studied "Making a Cabriole-Leg, Low-Post Bedstead", "Making a Mahogany Child's Cradle:, and "Making a Looking Glass and Dressing Glass" each aught by one of the cabinet making staff. Steve Latta taught "Making a...
  9. John Reeves

Tall, good looking guy in Durham

but I am not vain. BTW, I have gotten a bit formal re. project funding and business consulting. Please see www.horizongroupuk.com John
  10. John Reeves

Williamsburg

Hi all. Been awhile since I have posted. This "work" think has gotten in the way. I am going to a Wood Working Conference on period bedroom furniture in Colonial Williamsburg, Jan. 7 through Jan. 10. Steve Latta is the guest speaker. Has anyone done this before? John
  11. John Reeves

Opinion request, router in table saw

I think I want to mount a router in my table saw. I would appreciate advice and guidance in at least two subjects. 1) Which router; a) Freud 2000E, a 3 1/4 hp 15 amp plunge router, 13 lbs but no height control from the top b) Craftsmen 2 1/5 hp, 12 amp 9 lbs. comes with two bases and does have...
  12. John Reeves

Now I can GLOAT!

My reward for finishing the Kitchen. I got it of Craigs list. It cleaned up petty good.
  13. John Reeves

Finished the Kitchen

The floors were the last thing. "] Knot Head at work De-construction Working Hard Still the LOML
  14. John Reeves

Dresser #2

(I am in the yellow shirt. Knot Head is in the background) Maple ply, Target Coatings EM8800 with black pigment added at the factory (thanks Jeff Weiss), Target Coatings 9000 clear gloss interior poly. I used non-sterated sand paper, Abranet (great stuff) then Abralon (also great stuff)...
  15. John Reeves

Dresser #1

This is the front of the case without the top. Top Maple ply, BLO followed by varnish. I did use spar varnish on the top. This is for my daughter, in college and is now trying to embarrass me like I use to embarrass her.
  16. John Reeves

local suppler for finishing supplies

I just found this. I purchased son Mixol, 500 ML Black from him. I ordered it on Friday and got it on Tuesday. He is in Rocky Mount. Very friendly. Seems to be a relocated re-finisher that is selling supplies over the Internet. I think his specialty is colored wax and Liberion products in...
  17. John Reeves

6" duel function ROS

I am thinking about one. Bosch looks good but it is pushing $300. Does anyone have any suggestions, likes or dislikes?
  18. John Reeves

Spontaneous Combustion

Tonight, as I was cleaning up after a few hours on the shop, I smelled something not right. I kept sniffing and the trail led me to my trash (a plastic trash bag in a wooden frame). I noticed smoke coming from the little bit of trsh I had in the bag. I had just emptied the trash before I...
  19. John Reeves

Woodhaven dovetail jig

I just bought one and I am having some problems. Customer service is trying to help but the bearing disintegrated tonight after I lubed id with white lithium. I have only cut 12 drawers in total. Other issues are that not all of the pieces were included in the box but they were overnighted...
  20. John Reeves

Please help with new drawer slides

I am trying to install new slides in existing kitchen cabinets, face frame. The drawers are 19" (back of face to back of drawer). The cabinet is 23" from the front of the face to the existing blocks that are holding the existing slides. I purchased 19" slides so I am about 4" short on the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors