Search results

1. mgoins

Shaker Clock from Chestnut

Back last Fall, my father-in-law had a 1940's barn torn down, and gave me first pick of boards for my lumber stash. Boards pulled were all in the dry, and ranged from 8-14 inches wide, and 81/2 feet long. Beautiful stuff, once cleaned up. All are wormy chestnut. As a small token of...
  2. mgoins

A "little house" maintenance

Spent the last few days doing some much needed maintenance on our daughter's playhouse. Built in 2000, as our version of Norm's playhouse. Went with clapboard siding vs. cedar. Actually, was the first project of this scale that i built from scratch. My daughter's now too old to play in it...
  3. mgoins

Anyone bent wormy chestnut?

Am wondering if anyone's been successful bending wormy chestnut. Over the last few weeks, i've been resawing reclaimed chestnut from an old barn in preparation to build a couple Shaker wall clocks, and am finding myself with quite a few wood strips that are 1/4" thick, between 2-6" wide, and...
  4. mgoins

Cutting boards - scroll saw practice

Happy New Year! Recently my father-in-law was having a barn taken down, and gave me first pick of boards to come down for my lumber stash. The barn stood on the property that he grew up on, and that's been in his family for over 100 years. It was built by his uncle from lumber cut and...
  5. mgoins

Dust Collector - Finally!

Have been looking to upgrade dust collection in the shop from 4" to 6" pipe for 2-3 years, but have been too resourceful (cheap) to buy new. Yesterday, LOML got up wanting to do a day trip (200+ miles one-way) to IKEA in Charlotte, so before we struck out. I searched Cr**gslist for Charlotte &...
  6. mgoins

Would like thread re-opened

Good evening. Am writing to request a moderator reopen a thread. I'd like to post an update to it. http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36162 Thanks.
  7. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

Or, stated another way, “What to do with the molding, scraps, and 3 1x8 old growth pine boards left over from paneling our Reading Room? We’ve wanted Colonial type shutters for our home for several years, but, their considerable expense was prohibitive. But, we have a shop now! And, the will to...
  8. mgoins

HunnyDo - Refinishing a Dining Room Table & Chairs

Been a while since I’ve posted, life’s been wild this year. Nearly every free breath was spent preparing to take a Scout group to Philmont Scout Ranch, out in New Mexico. Lot of hiking & backpacking required to get in shape for it. We hiked every weekend from January thru June. Anyway, fast...
  9. mgoins

Cove Molding on a Table Saw

Title – Cove Molding on a Table Saw Been working on paneling our Reading Room over the last few months & needed about 40 feet of matching 3” crown molding made from old growth pine. Had seen a few magazine articles over the years talking about making large scale cove molding with a table saw...
  10. mgoins

Ever do something just to see if you could?

Ever do something just to see if you could? The problem-solving aspect of woodworking / machine resto / house resto / & the related arts is what draws me to it. The problem at-hand was two-fold: one) I had several hundred feet of house wire I’d saved for scrap to supplement the tool fund; and...
  11. mgoins

Reading Room Paneling

Got a small 7x7 room located at the back of the house, under the main stairway, we call our Reading Room. Originally, it was board & batten paneled in old growth pine. It is located adjacent to the kitchen, and had been stripped to the studs when we started our kitchen renovation 2.5+ years ago...
  12. mgoins

Wire Stripping - anyone have any tricks?

Completed a house rewire last winter & have several hundred feet of old wire that was pulled out. I’d like to strip & sell it to supplement the tool fund. With copper prices being so high, it seems that now’s the time to sell it. Problem is: most of it is 1930’s BX armored – 2-wire –...
  13. mgoins

Am laughing about it now…

Have been working since before Christmas to finish the 2nd phase of re-wiring the house. The first phase was completed in tandem with our kitchen project back in 2007. That thread is: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f90/kitchen-project-picture-heavy-18628/. The final phase includes pulling up...
  14. mgoins

Login timeOut

Looked around a little on FAQs & such looking for the answer to this question: What's the site login timeout value? And, what would it take to extend it to an hour, say. It seems to be really short - 10-15 minutes or so. Am relatively new to the site as a poster, but have had a couple...
  15. mgoins

Unisaw Restoration

Thought I'd take a few minutes & create a thread to document the Unisaw restoration project that’s going on in the shop. After extensive research on the Web - OWWM.com & .org, in particular. I've bitten off a Unisaw restoration. The current tablesaw is a '90s-era mostly plastic Craftsman 10"...
  16. mgoins

Kitchen Project - picture heavy

Thought I'd take a few minutes & document the kitchen project we did last year - 2007. The house in question is a Colonial Revival built in 1933. Moved in 8 years ago, this weekend - Thanksgiving 2000. We've spent the last 8 years restoring it back to its former glory - the kitchen was about all...
  17. mgoins

Workshop - Out of the Basement

Have had a basement workshop for several years with all its issues - no outside access, sawdust tracking thru the house, etc. Last spring, my wife & I were between gutting the kitchen & building a workshop. After thinking long & hard, we both had decided to do the other's project & forego our...
  18. mgoins

Hello from East Tennessee

Hello from the hills of East Tennessee, just over the border in Kingsport. My name is Marvin, have been lurking on the site for quite some time & think it's time to come out of the shadows. Am amazed at the information, friendliness, & camaraderie that I've seen between members on the site...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS