Search results

1. mgoins

Shaker Clock from Chestnut

10/02 Hard to believe it's been over a month since i've made an update, and for that I apologize, but we have made progress over the last few weeks. In fact, we took her out on her maiden voyage on Saturday. Here's my son a few weeks ago, with the engine on stand, removing engine...
  2. mgoins

Thanks, Bill. The Mustang is a '65 model; coupe; 6-cyl; automatic. Your story of the brush painted car brings back memories. 25 or so years ago; When I was in college, my dad bought a '65 Chevrolet pickup for $400, that had been painted with a brush; pale yellow house paint. The brush marks...
  3. mgoins

Progress report! Am on a business trip to San Diego, and am sitting in the hotel with a few minutes and thought I'd make an update to catch everyone up on progress. We're still running two projects in parallel, and making progress on each. The machine shop came back with a bad diagnosis on...
  4. mgoins

07/29/2012 Getting there: here's clock 3's case in glue up. This is the one that'll receive the Mechanicsl movement. Clamps, clamps. I've got more than ever, but, I still can only glue one case at a time. Next steps: stain the panels, and then we can move on to door glue up. Hopefully...
  5. mgoins

07/29/2012 Made a little progress this morning. Yesterday, my youngest son had something he wanted to work on, which jumped to the front of the line. It's peeking out, in the pic below. Glue-up of Clock #2. Here's what we did yesterday. First time we've ever been involved with...
  6. mgoins

07/28/2012 I mentioned a couple of weeks that we were looking at finishing options, fuming with ammonia being one of them. Here's some pix of chestnut samples looks like fumed: Fumed chestnut in sunlight, laid out by board, and exposure time. The lightest board was 2 hours, 4 hours...
  7. mgoins

Just got this drawn up. Pattern for a set of knobs for each clock. All lower door stiles are 1 1/4" wide, while the upper door are 1" on clocks 1&2, and 1 1/4" on clock 3. Am thinking 1/2" diameter knobs that are 3/4" long right now, but am planning on turning a few of each and seeing what...
  8. mgoins

Good morning, David. Am thinking about fumed chestnut & linseed oil. I've got a buddy fuming samples for me. Hopefully, I'll get to see them today. Will post pix, once I've got them.
  9. mgoins

Back last Fall, my father-in-law had a 1940's barn torn down, and gave me first pick of boards for my lumber stash. Boards pulled were all in the dry, and ranged from 8-14 inches wide, and 81/2 feet long. Beautiful stuff, once cleaned up. All are wormy chestnut. As a small token of...
  10. mgoins

A "little house" maintenance

Spent the last few days doing some much needed maintenance on our daughter's playhouse. Built in 2000, as our version of Norm's playhouse. Went with clapboard siding vs. cedar. Actually, was the first project of this scale that i built from scratch. My daughter's now too old to play in it...
  11. mgoins

Anyone bent wormy chestnut?

Am wondering if anyone's been successful bending wormy chestnut. Over the last few weeks, i've been resawing reclaimed chestnut from an old barn in preparation to build a couple Shaker wall clocks, and am finding myself with quite a few wood strips that are 1/4" thick, between 2-6" wide, and...
  12. mgoins

Cutting boards - scroll saw practice

Happy New Year! Recently my father-in-law was having a barn taken down, and gave me first pick of boards to come down for my lumber stash. The barn stood on the property that he grew up on, and that's been in his family for over 100 years. It was built by his uncle from lumber cut and...
  13. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

Re: Making Colonial Shutters - FINISHED! 12/17/2011 update: Last challenge to overcome prior to installation was changing out burglar alarm sensors to sllow the shutters to close completely. That had to be coordinated with the alarm company. Once that was done, it was downhill from there...
  14. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

12/11/2011 - evening update: Got quite a bit done today - 4 panels glued up, totalling 5 so far. Hopefully, we'll have them in the window by the end of the week. Comparison of first completed shutter vs. the Vintage... Getting there!
  15. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

12/11/2011 Update: Got up early this morning, 6am, and headed out in the shop, and was greeted w/19 degree temps, is the first really cold day we've seen. Whew. Turned on the heater for a few minutes, and glue'ed up section 2. Just got back in the house, and thought i'd update the post with...
  16. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

12/10/2011 update – Okay, so this is bad… Looking thru this thread, I realized this project has taken nearly a year to complete. So, our goal here, is to complete this project in under a year, hopefully before Christmas. Taking holidays into account, there’s 15 days remaining… Last update was...
  17. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

3/27/2011 - The last several weekends have not been conducive to working in the shop. Got a chance yesterday to make some progress on the project. First by test fitting the empty frames in the window opening & trimming somewhat to fit. Then on to dry assembly of everything, and another test fit...
  18. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

Thanks, Mark. Regarding being 'expensive', I agree. It takes a lot of machines and jigs to make this work. However, from a skill perspective, I can't put a value on what's been learned. Prior to this project, most of what i'd done in the shop related to house restoration, or building, what...
  19. mgoins

Making Colonial Shutters

3/26/2011 - Not much progress to speak of, am bumping it to keep hope alive... The last few weekends have not been conducive to shop time. Am shooting to test fit them in the window today. Will post pics later. Thanks.
  20. mgoins

Dust Collector - Finally!

Have been looking to upgrade dust collection in the shop from 4" to 6" pipe for 2-3 years, but have been too resourceful (cheap) to buy new. Yesterday, LOML got up wanting to do a day trip (200+ miles one-way) to IKEA in Charlotte, so before we struck out. I searched Cr**gslist for Charlotte &...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS