Search results

1. hpetty

I'm back... this time for real

About four years ago, while living in Charlotte, I was very active in this group. Then followed a two year stint in Florida and a move to Raleigh - during which time I was "shopless" with my all of my equipment packed up and in storage. Now I finally have a chance to set my shop back up. Just...
  2. hpetty

I'm back.....

Hello Fellow Woodworkers, After a two year absence from the state my wife and I have moved back from Florida. (Sure is a cold time of the year to move back home.) Some of you "old timers" may remember me from my posts while living in Charlotte. A few others may remember me from some of the...
  3. hpetty

Varnish Emergency

I was working late in the shop and used what I had on the shelf.... My varnish is still tacky after 12 hours. The can says dry in 5 hours, usable in 8. What can I do to salvage my piece within the next 24 hours? Material: MDO Two coats of Zinsser Primer 3-4 coats of an acrylic paint called...
  4. hpetty

Drill Press Woes....

I have a Craftsman 15" drill press that is giving me some challenges today. I'm attempting to drill some 21/32" holes in some aluminum channels. I have the speed set to 990. When attempting to drill I get a fair amount of "chatter" and then the chuck and arbor fall out of the spindle. I've...
  5. hpetty

Detail Sander?

Anyone using one of the Detail Sanders, like the Fein unit? Is it worth the $$$$? I need to sand the interior cuts on the project below and can't get my ROS worked inside. The Christmas Card is for my church, so it's also a convenient excuse to go tool shopping :rolf:
  6. hpetty

Uni Saw Auxilary Fence

Has anyone tried this fence before? I got the link (ttrackusa Home Page )from someone on this site several months ago, but can't seem to find the post and don't know if they actually owned the fence or not. Any one out there used it before? Hugh
  7. hpetty

Cutting MDO

I haven't been hanging out here for several weeks, but I have a quick question. I'm going to be starting a project for my church later this week and plan on using MDO for an outdoor "sign". Has anyone ever cut this material? Althoug it is "medium density" which implies a similarity to MDF, it...
  8. hpetty

Free Rip Fence

Delta shipped me a rip fence for their 10" band saw (Delta Part # 28-196) that I didn't order. They told me just to keep it, but I have absolutely no use for it. I would be glad to give it to anyone that could put it to good use. Preferably someone in the Charlotte area so I don't have to deal...
  9. hpetty

Opinions on PC 7518

I'm trying to decide between $250 cash back from Delta or a "free" PC 7518 router as my rebate. I've seen a few posts where members indicated they owned one, but I would like to hear some opinions. I'm finishing my router table and was planning to use my PC plunge router in it. But now I'm...
  10. hpetty

Router Placement on rotuer Table

Okay, I'm following Uncle Nohm's Router Table plans pretty closely but I've run into a question on placement of the Router Plate. The plans call for the center of the plate to be 10 3/4; from the front edge of a 24 1/2 Table. Is there any reason (other than leaving room for the fence base) to...
  11. hpetty

Auxillary Table for Bandsaw

Anyone out there added an upgraded table to your bandsaw? I was considering the table below and wondered if anyone else had built it, or had seen another plan somewhere that worked better.
  12. hpetty

One pair of X's...

I got them both put together and the proof is in My Gallery photos. The jointer only took less than two hours of unrushed time to put together. No real challenges and right out of the box this baby really hums. It is so quiet I have to double check the switch position to make sure I really did...
  13. hpetty

Anyone Installed a Riser Block on a Delta Bandsaw?

I'm installing the Riser Block on my new Delta Bandsaw (I already posted a gloat, so this shouldn't count as double dipping :lol: ) and run into a slight problem. The power cord won't reach the motor. The instructions show you how to route the power cord when installing the block, but it still...
  14. hpetty

New Arrivals....

No pictures to post yet, but my bank account can attest to the fact that they are here. Yesterday a brand new Delta X5 6" jointer jumped into the back of my Explorer. However it was soooo lonely that this 14" Bandsaw jumped into the back of the Explorer today: And it's almost grownup...
  15. hpetty

Router Table Fence Question

Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but I've been following some of the discussions on T-track vs. through slots for attaching the fence on a RT and I have another question. What is the best method of making sure the fence remains parallel to the miter slot? Unless I'm mistaken, the fence...
  16. hpetty

Hey WoodGuy.... empty your PMs

Can't send you a mesage until you do :lol:
  17. hpetty

Shop Pictures in My Gallery

Since Travis posted his this weekend and I had at least "started" cleaning mine up, I decided to post some pictures of my own. Enjoy.
  18. hpetty

HF Dust Collecter Deal is Back

Harbor Freight has their 2HP Dust Collector back on sale. With the 20% coupon that brings the price down to $127.99. I think I'll finally bite and begin building out my DC for the shop. Getting tired of dragging my shop vac around from tool to tool.
  19. hpetty

Mobile Lumber Storage Rack - Lumber Support

I'm building a mobile lumber storage rack like this one: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/plans/index.cfm/plan_details/5/13/1865 The plans call for heavy duty lumber shelf standards, which are a little pricey. Years ago I built a lumber storage rack (from a WoodSmith plan) using 1/2" pipe...
  20. hpetty

Charlotte Woodworker's Show "Get-Together"

I am about 15 miles north of the Charlotte Merchandise Mart. My wife and I would be be willing to offer our house/shop as a convenient meeting place if any of you are planning to go to the Show and would like to gather for some conversations and maybe even some "adult beverages" before or after...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS