Search results

1. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Digit, I've got TWO beer fridges in the studio... with AC/Heat, cable TV, internet, lounge with kitchenette and a bathroom with shower that's less than 100', as the crow flies, from the woodshop... so I'm good to go on that front. :icon_thum Hey, I think I only look stoopid. :rotflm: Rich, All...
  2. M

Rigid foam insulation?

Joe, Just curious... are you planning to put the wood directly on the foam, or are you going to use a 2x4 (or similar "joist") to raise it up off the floor? I would not suggest placing anything directly on the foam. It's probably not going to hold up to the direct contact pressure for more...
  3. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Thanx Jim! Hoping to get back into the swing of things with HOW before too long... like next week?!? My original workbench was 48x96... pretty massive and well beyond overkill for what I'll do in my shop from now on. So, isn't 24x96 still a bit too big? I was thunkin' (scary as that is...)...
  4. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Oh my heavens' yes... I still haven't quite had the time and energy to unbury the old monster workbench to get it out and make that top smaller... but I have managed to get a coupla small guitar amp stands knocked out. Next up is a small 48"x48" box frame with casters to set my Hammond organ...
  5. M

Looking for electrician in Cary, NC

If you don't get a call or bid from Bruce, I'd whole heartedly recommend Electric Service Provider's... http://www.4espnc.com/ Andy and his crew are excellent!
  6. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Stuart, Thanks! Yeah... I guess you might say I've done just a tad more since you saw it last... so, anytime you (or anyone else for that matter) wanna tour of the place, just gimme a shout and lemme know when you wanna come by and see it. To hijack my own thread for a second... The studio's...
  7. M

Itty Bitty Shop

OK... a LITTLE progress... (very little)... I've gotten LOML approval to store the really big lumber and all the sheetgoods in the basement... and all the walnut, oak and maple in the shop... WHEW! (Now I have enough room to get outside to change my mind!) Table saw and joiner are back on...
  8. M

A wall on a wall?

Since you're considering more storage... (lucky dog!)... You might want to consider changing your doors to two 3'-0" or 2'-6" solid core slab doors, and give yourself plenty of access to your storage. You can cut an opening in the door(s) for window(s) and come out pretty good on cost. Just add...
  9. M

Itty Bitty Shop

I've only toyed with the idea of heat or AC in the shop. While it'd be nice, I'm gonna have a heck of a hard time justifying the insulation, gypsum, and loss of interior wall cavity space in that small of a shop... at this point. So, I'll probably just have to wait and see what the numbers are...
  10. M

Itty Bitty Shop

I hear ya! When I first started makin' sawdust, I had about a 10x10 space in the basement. Then I used to have a 20x30 shop at the old house, and the studio was a nice spacious 30x56... until I filled it with walls and gear... so, right now, I'm kinda' feeling like I'm in a closet and that...
  11. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Gents, Thanks for all the comments thus far! Keep em' coming!!!! The studio has 400 Amp service on 600 Amp feeder. (We derated the wire for noise, line drop and power reflections.) I can pull up to 200 Amp @ 240 to the shop, but the wallet's hurtin' pretty bad right now. It's about 250 feet...
  12. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Well, after spending the last almost 6 years building a recording studio, I finally have finished it, and am now turning my attention to my wood shop. It's gonna have to suffer along as a long term project as I can afford to do things... like a proper dust collection system, good lighting...
  13. M

A wall on a wall?

Unfortunately, that's a myth... and one that just won't seem to die. Carpet is only good at absorbing very high frequencies and really doesn't have any acoustic value beyond that. It's also a heck of a fire hazard. There are four things that stop sound in an enclosure... mass, absorption...
  14. M

Energy Audit-Sealing a Home

The best caulk I've found is OSI. The SC-175 is available online at pretty good pricing, but pretty hard to find locally. The other OSI caulk that I've used is their Quad. It's readily available at the borg centers. The only thing I don't like about the Quad is the cleanup... mineral...
  15. M

A wall on a wall?

WHEW!! You get to come out cheap then! First, a coupla' "rules"... Rule #1 - Mass is your friend. The more mass the merrier. Rule #2 - Wherever air goes, so goes sound. OK, now that that's out of the way, we can get down to brass tacks. You're not talking about much low frequency sound...
  16. M

A wall on a wall?

Been rather "busy" as of late wiring the studio, doing the acoustic testing and actually recording some music, and FINALLY have some time to check in here... If you really need to isolate the sound in the room from the rest of the shop, you have a few options... some of which can potentially be...
  17. M

Potato on the Lathe, yes, we did it!

O M G!!! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: NOW I see what you mean about the mind doing things when you turn!!! (and here I just thought it was just WoodArtz mind that was gone!) That's the funniest thing I've seen in a LOOOOONG time! Thanx for sharing! Hope you had a great holiday, Jim!
  18. M

Construction/Woodworking

I've been living a hybrid life of BOTH construction AND woodworking for the last 2 years as I've built my studio... Having built about 3/4 of it entirely by myself, you find that live indeed will.... ...drive you nuts?!?!? :rotflm: Here's where I started labor day of 2007... Here's where I...
  19. M

Christmas Wish List

I know I'm gonna get hit with it from everyone in the fambly... "Whatchu want for Christmas gran'pa'?" Well... this year, gramp's, (grumps, as my grand-daughter used to say) has a potential single request for the first time... I'm hoping someone can enlighten me about a Biesemeyer (or suggest...
  20. M

Automatic Dust Collection

All I can say is.... WOW!! Truly impressive, Alan! I'll be watching that video several more times to take it all in, but what an inspiration in ingenuity. Thanx!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS