Search results

1. flyrod444

Latest HF.... Hollow Form Turning

I was able to get my hands on a few maple burls last fall and this is the largest of the forms I was able to turn from it. I hollowed it out green using my Kobra but returned it free hand. It is just a little heavier than the basket ball in the last picture. I was able to turn this form thinner...
  2. flyrod444

First large vase using the Kobra system

This is the first large vase that I finished using the Kobra system. It is around 13" tall and finished with lacquer. The first picture is of it after I roughed it out. The second picture is of it after I finished it. Can't take credit for the finished picture since it was taken at a turning...
  3. flyrod444

A few of my latest off the lathe

I don't post much on this site but do come and check it out often. I just wanted to post a few pic's of some of the latest pieces to come of my lathe. They are all turned from silver maple and finished with lacquer. Jack This one is 9" high and was to have a flared out top that I managed to...
  4. flyrod444

Maple burl rough out

I've been looking at the burls on a large red maple tree for years and it was cut down last year when the property was developed for commercial use. I stopped and asked about it before they got around to cutting it and was told that it was already spoken for and was to be sawed into lumber. It...
  5. flyrod444

Cherry Squared

Cherry Squared! Here is one of the latest square edged bowls I finished up. It is around 6" square finished with lacquer. I find trying something different like the square edged bowls keeps my turning fresh and motivated. The last picture is of an 8" silver maple vase I finished last week as...
  6. flyrod444

Am I slipping back into the square world?

One of my students wanted to see how one goes about turning a square bowl they had seen on the net so I did this one for a demo for the class. It is the first square bowl I've turned but wasn't much different from the some Tea Light holders I made last month, just on a bigger scale. It is...
  7. flyrod444

Another use of a coring system.

Here is a picture of what one can do with a coring system in place of making sets of bowls. I really do not like to sand so making nested sets is not my favorite thing to do. Unless it is a nice burl I tend to just core out the largest blank I can out of the middle of a nice blank. I then make a...
  8. flyrod444

A few more HF's

Here are a couple more forms that I just finished up. They are turned from Silver maple. The second form [Pic #3 and #4] is a gift to my principal that has been great to work for the last couple of years. I just found out that she will be at another school next year.:wsad: Ones job is only as...
  9. flyrod444

First of my latest form to be finished

I got this form stuck in my head this spring and seemed to turn every other form like it this spring. This is the first to be finished. It is silver maple just over 10" tall. Thanks, Jack
  10. flyrod444

Kobra test run #2

Second test run of the Kobra system! Hi all, here are a few pic's of the how the second test run went with my new toy. I have turned a few forms this large free hand and found that it took all I had to hollow out a project that was this large and deep. The Vase is 13 1/2" tall with the inside...
  11. flyrod444

Kobra Hollowing system Test Run!

Kobra test run! I've been hollowing free hand for a number of years now and decided it was time to look for a good hollowing system. I decided after much research into the subject that the Kobra was the best one on the market for my needs. There is a wait after you order one since they are...
  12. flyrod444

I can't get this form out of my head!

I've roughed out around thirty bowls and HF's over the last month. Evey time I get a tallish end grain blank this form keeps coming out in the end. I plan on returning them when dry and might even cut the top at a slight angle on a few. I hope this shape sells, but if they don't I guess they...
  13. flyrod444

Large platter.

I just finished roughing out a chip and dip plater from a nice big leaf maple blank that I got from Mike Smith a fellow North Carolinian. This blank was covered with a thick coat of wax which had the grain and burl spots unseen by me until I turned the wax away. All I can say is WOW what nice...
  14. flyrod444

Curly Red Wood HF

Turned from Curly Red Wood. This bowl has around 8 coats of spray deft lacquer satin right now. I will post some more pictures after it has had time to set and be buffed to a shine. The curl in this wood is unreal and it didn't move any as it dried. I did learn that redwood should not be turned...
  15. flyrod444

Dragon Egg

Here is a HF that I turned from the crotch of a walnut blank I got in the fall of 2010. It is just over 12" high by around 8" in Dia. I finished it with Antique oil. It looks like an egg with fire in it so I named it Dragon Egg. It is almost a square shape looking down on the top of the bowl...
  16. flyrod444

A few call for this springs turkey season.

Being that turkey season is just around the corner I have been working mostly on call as of late. I do have a couple bowls that I work on in between calls that I hope to finsih up by the weekend, but until then here are a few that I finished up today. Thanks for looking, Jack This one is a...
  17. flyrod444

Some pretty Cocobolo

I'm not sure if I got this cocobolo from Packard or The Wood turners Catalog, but I ordered some 24" x 1 1/2 "x 1 1/2" from one of them when they had it on special. I use cocobolo for most of my crow calls and I'm extremely impressed with the quality and color of this cocobolo. Here is a picture...
  18. flyrod444

A few calls and a little gloat.

Here is a quick shot of some of the latest calls to come out of my shop. They are more of my red oak burl, osage, and the crow call is bocote. For my gloat I got a check this week for an article I wrote for Woodturning Design Magazine on how to make a turkey calls, that are for sell this month...
  19. flyrod444

A few Turkey calls

Here are a few turkey calls I just finished. They all have ceramic surface. Jack
  20. flyrod444

Silver Maple sent to Eastern NC

In my earlier post I didn't have any pic's of the large Maple rounds that Mike Smith and I loaded up onto his trailer manually. Here are a few pictures of it on his trailer after he got it home. I didn't measure it but I would have to guess it is around 40" +. It had some nice spalting around...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors