Search results

1. russellellis

Door design question

Thanks. The piece would be "furniture". I would do pegged tenons for the rails and stiles. The door would be about 18 wide maybe 32ish tall about 8 deep. the hidden compartment would be about 3x3.
  2. russellellis

Door design question

Im thinking about a wall cabinet with a locking door and a secret compartment in the door itself for the key. the picture below is a very rough sketch of the idea and you can see the top right small field is the secret compartment that will hold the key sideways. The compartment would be opened...
  3. photo4

photo4

4. russellellis

Any help identifying this wood? Redwood?

Robert, Ive never used sapele, so i wouldnt have thought that, but ive never seen the "pine" grain in it like the one in the left of the pic. Fred. Im 99.99999% sure its not fir. ive used/salvaged/etc plenty of fir. never seen it this red before either. or this heavy.
  5. russellellis

Any help identifying this wood? Redwood?

I snagged a few of what i thought were redwood posts from the front porch of a 1940s ranch house i remodeled a few years ago. Where I'm confused is in the weight of these peices. I sanded/planed/ripped them down from a 4x4'ish post that they were into about an equivalent to a 2x4 now. The...
  6. photo3

photo3

7. russellellis

Small box joinery problem

i tried replying earlier. guess i hit the wrong button or it got lost in internets neverland. you dont have to buy a mini/small biscuit jointer. you can make your own biscuits on the bandsaw. to make the grooves, ive used a 5 inch blade on a circular saw. one oversized biscuit per side. the...
  8. russellellis

concrete question

Ive made quite a few concrete tiles, stones, pavers, and countertops. The absolute best thing to use for the molds is a slick covered wood...ie melamine, skatelite. ive even used mdf that had about 4 layers of poly on it. I never had a problem with the concrete sticking in any combination...
  9. russellellis

Looking for zebrawood veneer

Bill, weird. If you use the "search veneer inventory" in the top menu, nothing comes up for veneer. I found the 3 you mentioned. Silly websites.
  10. russellellis

Scott, true, resawing would be best, but.......i dont have access to a w/b sander. We just moved to OKC 3 weeks ago. Im needing maybe 5 square feet, since that is they way most sell it. Bill, I had looked at those guys before. It lists zebrawood in their inventory, but once you search for...
  11. russellellis

Hey guys, Im looking for some zebrawood veneer. Ive done way too many google searches and have come up the good, the bad and the ugly. So.....where would you guys get zebrawood veneer if you needed it. Im getting ready to start a jewelry armoire out of zebrawood and walnut. The cost and...
  12. russellellis

silk screening Tshirts?

Mike. You gotta try some of the newer machines out there. I worked on an mci 8 color manual that locked better than the 10 color auto gauntlet. This has been 5 years ago now, and as ya know, that field is always moving forward.
  13. russellellis

silk screening Tshirts?

I was a screenprinter for about ten years as well. From simple one color one hits to 14 color auto, process flat work, soy, plastisols, uv, water and plenty other inks and a mututude of substrates. For multicolor jobs, registration is the most important aspect in the printing. 1000ths of an inch...
  14. russellellis

Coffered Ceiling Advice

Max, the way you are describing is exactly how ive seen countless coffered ceilings built before. The one i just refinished in the 1925 brick victorian is the same way minus the osb. This has plaster over wood lath behind it. Its just nailed thru the plaster/lath into every single joist it could...
  15. russellellis

Never ran a floor sander before

i probably should have stated, that if you use a piece of plywood to try your hand at the floor sander. it should be big enough for you to stand on as well. like a 4x4 piece. the last thing you want is to get your ankles taken out by a flying piece of ply. haha
  16. russellellis

Never ran a floor sander before

if youve never used one before it wont hurt to try it out on a piece of plywood, you can see that way how it will burn into the wood if you leave it sitting for too long. and get the feeling of how to move it across the wood. pulling back towards you will make the sander dig in more...
  17. russellellis

T&G Gaps

Clover SC doesnt have a single "holler." I live in WV now but i didnt grow up here. I know for a fact that there are pics, at my moms house, of working that summer.
  18. russellellis

T&G Gaps

50X was a finish that we used in our high school. I worked with the guy who refinished the floors during one summer. Thats the only place ive ever seen it though. We used it in the gym and everywhere else there was hardwood in the old part of the school. Black and gold can with big black 50X on...
  19. russellellis

Tree Art - BIG Tree Art

WOW. Im pretty fearless in most respects. Not afraid of tools, speed, heights, dark, spiders or commitment.........but thats one thing im pretty sure id think twice before attempting. Would hate to be anywhere near that room if something broke loose.
  20. russellellis

T&G Gaps

if youre absolutely set on filling the gaps in, then just use a really good high quality wood filler. I dont like to fill the gaps unless there is only a few and it distracts from the look. Most people ive used to refinish floors in flips ive done, do the same. One guy filled the wider gaps/old...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS