Search results

1. CarvedTones

craft table project I am starting - HELP!

Barely. But the file would be useful. I used your last picture to communicate a lot more clearly than I seem capable of when merely speaking... ;)
  2. CarvedTones

I like that. Even better, my wife likes that! :D I was over complicating it with the idea of an apron and drawers slides since she originally asked if maybe the wing could be a really shallow drawer. I should have just said no from the start. It's just a big mat for the CriCut Explore and large...
  3. CarvedTones

What kind of slide mechanism would the wings use?
  4. CarvedTones

Back on the front burner again. It looks like the way you are sketching it, the wings go around the shelves and you make the table wider than the shelves to account for it. I will run that idea past the boss, but I was thinking I might have casework under the table (apron?) so that there...
  5. CarvedTones

Fret or coping saw Updated with photo

Re: Fret or coping saw They don't last long either, IME. But even if you use it on a board too wide to reach from the side, you can do a low angle cut from most of the way down one side to the other corner and just leave a little hanging chad to pare off.
  6. CarvedTones

Fret or coping saw Updated with photo

Re: Fret or coping saw It would limit you to 10" stock (5" max from either side), but Phil mentioned he passed on the 3" since it would limit him to 6", so I am guessing he took that into account.
  7. CarvedTones

Penny whistles in various media

I am drilling whistles using gun drills and forced air. I get the gun drills on ebay. You blow air through them instead of oil and it blows the chips out while you drill. They are self centering and only have cutting edges at the tip so they don't wallow.
  8. CarvedTones

The bookcases are sideways at the ends and there is open space under it in the middle.
  9. CarvedTones

So it started with my wife seeing this: and I said "Sure, I could do that" and I ordered the bookshelves from Ikea and picked up a melamine top from Phil and I think I am practically in the home stretch. Well, not exactly... Turns out that I don't know white from very light gray and it...
  10. CarvedTones

How should I join Delrin to wood?

Another thought - if you go with the mortise and tenon idea, turn a small groove in the delrin tenon. Make an epoxy slurry with sawdust and fill the groove with it. Slide the tenon into the mortise and let it dry. The epoxy will stick to the wood and the slurry will dry rock hard.
  11. CarvedTones

New project- like i needed one more

My build is actually quite likely to last into the winter. I will get wood for the hull late this month and hope to get the hull assembled unsheathed and the seat sculpted this summer. Deck and frames in the fall and the cloth, epoxy and fittings could be under the tree. It would be a lot easier...
  12. CarvedTones

New project- like i needed one more

I also got the bug again recently. I am starting this one: http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/WV13_study.htm?prod=WV13 with plans to make it end up more like this: Not as big a change as it may first appear; I will sculpt the seat from styro and glass over it instead of making the optional...
  13. CarvedTones

Best wood for a bass guitar?

While I agree that basswood is easy to dent, if you add binding or simply round the edge it is not much of a problem IME. On an electric guitar, the sound is mostly from the string and pickups. The wood can't dampen too quickly or move much (tuning affected by that). It's really tweaky and...
  14. CarvedTones

lifetime wood treatment

Interesting. Note that it is a treatment, not a finish. I read somewhere that the only reason they need the P in PT is because they treat it green; if you applied the same stuff to dry wood you could get just as much penetration without the pressure. My guess (and it is just that) is that that...
  15. CarvedTones

Alternative Workbench Function

I don't mind seeing them repurposed in this manner; they will be kept in nice shape and may someday will be returned to service. They may make it a generation or two further than if they were in constant use as workbenches. It does bother me to see them used in some applications where they end...
  16. CarvedTones

Best wood for a bass guitar?

You will probably think I am being a smart alack, but one of the preferred woods for an electric bass is actually basswood. Maple necks are very common also. Deviations are usually for looks rather than sound.
  17. CarvedTones

Joining plywood end to end

I have seen the Gudgeon book. The method I used last time referred to it also but claimed to be an improvement. It required less expertise, time and equipment but while it worked, I wasn't real happy with it. I ended up adding a piece of glass tape over it because it seemed like a soft spot in...
  18. CarvedTones

Last time I lined the boards up on the garage floor, duct taped the edge with 3 overlapped pieces using a wall paper roller, enlisted a helper to flip it over, slid a small batten under it to open the gap, put epoxy in the gap, slid the batten back out, wax paper (yeah have since heard plastic...
  19. CarvedTones

No dead horse yet; you may have revived the old nag... :D I did nowhere near 8:1 (~7 deg); I did more like 3:1 (~20 deg). I can see how that would work better. That would be a 32mm glue surface and even if I ignore the 8mm on each end where one side has just a flap of veneer, that's still 16mm...
  20. CarvedTones

1/4 on one side at each end; 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2. The point is that half the length has very little strength. I didn't have a complicated jig last time. I used a plane with a miter ripped 2x4 clamped as a guide. I think it worked pretty well but I could definitely tell where it was. I only have...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS