Search results

1. Don Sorensen

Haven't been about much, but have done a few things

Haven't been up to posting much, though I have been making saw dust here and there. Wandered off the scroll saw path for a few of them, and wanted to show off this one. An Uncle made a request for a cribbage board that used AR-21 shells as the pegs, and a mental image of this board popped into...
  2. Don Sorensen

Good shop stool or chair?

Scroll saw work ( and several other of my hobbies ) require sitting at a workbench or assembly table. Anybody recommend a good source and/or style? I know I'd like to have a back rest, padded seat, swivel, and probably a foot ring if the stool is high enough to need it. My finely tooned...
  3. Don Sorensen

Threading Gloat

Got my first set of threading tools in last week and even tried them out over the weekend. I bought the 3/4 threading kit through WoodCraft - by cleverly following a link through here. Decided I needed the counter-sink (bore?) and the nut template from Beal Tools. And bought the book...
  4. Don Sorensen

Another WIP crosses the finish line

This particular piece was really hard to get chucked up in the lathe with that handle sticking out like that.....no, wait. This is a scroll saw project. And I don't even have a lathe. I came across several pieces of 3/8" Mahogany and Spanish Cedar from a co-worker a couple of jobs back. Laid...
  5. Don Sorensen

Two Weekends, a sheet of Plywood, and a gloat

Finally got the Plywood cart put together. It's from Shop Notes - 10 Plywood Projects. I was lucky to find 23/32 sheathing plywood that was flat, dry, and not too voidy at the Blue Borg. I did all of the cutting with my trusty DeWalt Circular/Framing/whatever saw and the 100" straight-edge...
  6. Don Sorensen

Aligning Casters ?

Anybody here have a tip/trick, or other clever way to make sure that all four casters on a roll around cabinet are properly aligned? Or is it simply measuring twice with a good square and drilling once? I've got the standard two fixed and two swivel casters - 4 inch, 330 lb solid rubber from...
  7. Don Sorensen

Wooden Machines

Since I've most of my "machine" work on a scroll saw, I put this post here. Oh, I thought I was going places with my wooden grandfather clock. And I have another pattern right behind it for another clock. I have plans to build the marble tower featured in one of the catalogs that comes in the...
  8. Don Sorensen

Painter's Tape Experiment and gloat

There's an upside to being unemployed - I got to try out this "Painter's Tape" method and make some sawdust in the mean time. And I really like using the painter's tape - thanks to all that mentioned/recommended it. It's called "Nature's Majesty" from White Tail Designs - I found it in the...
  9. Don Sorensen

A Little Help from Delta 16 inch users/owners

I've been having pretty good luck with the Delta SS I sort of inherited. However, the current project pointed out a kind of problem: At the cutting point, there seems to be a lot of back an forth motion in the blade. If you look at it from the side while it's running, there is pretty close to...
  10. Don Sorensen

[Problem-Main Site] Missing pages In Bas' "I hear voices" posting

Quick and sweet - Bas thread has 6 pages before I log in. After I log in, it only has 4 pages - and I can't seem to find any way to get the end ( I wanted to mention a review of cordless drills I read in Maxim that showed the Neon green Ryobi to be a good choice). I use Firefox on Winduhs...
  11. Don Sorensen

Multi - Tool Gloat..

or, one of the benefits of being temporarily unemployed : I got some free time to attend to several small projects on my to-do list: First: I've finally put the door prize to work. Here I am at the Work Sharp. Cheers to Bas for letting me sit and watch his demonstrations at the Klingspoor...
  12. Don Sorensen

Sanding Dust removal help?

I don't mean to brag, but I got to spend a couple hours sanding this evening. One of my least favorite jobs. I can think of a number of ways to remove the remnant sawdust from the project, but I lack confidence in them (they came from my brain, after all). So I'm working on a number of gears...
  13. Don Sorensen

Squirrel Cage blower/motor sources?

Any reliable sources or 110v squirrel cage blowers with motors? I've got this darn squirrel that won't stay outta my shop....... No, wait, that's different problem. I recently saw plans for a mobile tool base with air cleaner mounted in the bottom. I've also seen plans for the air cleaner...
  14. Don Sorensen

Yet another new member

Howdy from Garner. My buddy Joel Jordan introduced me to this site and you people make it look like a good place to come hang out. I, too, just bought a two-car garage (with a house ) that I intend to turn into a workshop. I have it mostly wired with one or two minor details to work out before...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS