Search results

1. B

Cutting a groove for stringing

Another idea is using a purfling cutter - typically used in guitar building. These can be found at Stew Mac, Lee Valley or there's a ton of them on Ebay. These are great for going around curves - both inside and outside curves.
  2. B

Looking for my first lathe

Its a nice mini lathe - great to learn on, great for some pens, and doesnt take up much space. I bought it to do some pens and see if I could get into turning. It just wasn't my thing. However, during this covid times, my wife picked up bowl turning. She had trouble changing the belt for...
  3. B

Looking for my first lathe

I have an Excelsior (Rockler) Lathe that is collecting dust and is in my way. I just recently upgraded and would be happy to give this one a new home. I am in Apex area, so please contact me if you're interested.
  4. B

How long was your longest project?

It took me 9 years to purchase the mirror - I had the frame done, just didn't get to buying the mirror - finished in 2017!
  5. B

Making Good Chamfers with a Hand Plane - No Router

Well done. I like the idea and will add it to my list. What I really like is your wall organization. I need to get that done in my shop.
  6. B

How do you avoid "sticky" painting shelves?

I had the same issue with some shelves I had painted and read somewhere about using a little talc on them to remove the stickiness. Of course you only want to do this with light colors. In my case it was an antique white. I rubbed a small amount of talc on it and it resolved the issue.
  7. B

SealCoat has vanished

ErnieM - I think the fact that you only use it one or twice a year is the perfect reason to use flakes. You can mix up only the amount you need and the shelf life of the flakes is quite a bit longer than the premixed Sealcoat. Plus, it's easier to ship - if needed.
  8. B

Worried too much about wasted wood?

I used to be a lot worse than I am now. For the most part, everything other than maple and cherry scraps get tossed. The maple and cherry I keep for smoking meat. Right now, I am in the process of building 3 new tables for the livingroom (coffee, sofa and end table) out of cherry so I...
  9. B

HVLP Spraying

One other point on the HVLP systems - if you're going to be spraying paint, I wouldn't go less than a 3-stage system. Some even say 4-stage, but with proper thinning, I haven't had any issues with my Mini-mite 3. I used to dread finishing. Once I started spraying, I started looking forward to...
  10. B

HVLP Spraying

I have the Fuji Minimite3 with a gravity feed gun (G-XPC) - absolutely love it and the results I've gotten. I've had it for about 10 years now. I have bought another gun - a suction (Aerojet RS1) from HVLP Paint Sprayer at Paint Sprayers Plus for less than 1/2 the cost of getting another Fuji...
  11. B

Material for curved dashboard

Some of the recent boxes I've made have domed lids. For that, I used 3 layers of 1/16" plywood bent over a form - then veneered. It came out incredibly strong and was easy to bend. If you use a rigid glue, it minimizes the spring back a lot more than just using pva. The ply is not real...
  12. B

new to veneering

take a look at this - I know of several youtubers and a few personal friends who went this direction and are quite happy. $70 for their smaller bag and pump kit. very reasonable. these originally came out to make skateboards, but they now have several sizes avail and very useful for...
  13. B

Sharpening Service List?

Dynamic Saw in Buffalo - excellent service and results. dynamicsaw.com/index.html
  14. B

Sick of breaking screws

Thanks for the complements and link, Matt. They definitely have some nicer inlays than what I find at Woodcraft and Klingspor. I will be sure to use them in the future. The two boxes I am working on now (the first two pictured) I did use some inlay on the lid. I also made up some 1/16"...
  15. B

Sick of breaking screws

Before picking up the gimlets, that is how I would do it also - and it helped. The problem was, I still had some of the steel screws break off - especially when working with the dense exotic woods.
  16. B

Sick of breaking screws

yes, the gimlets thread the hole for the screw.
  17. B

Sick of breaking screws

I just wanted to pass along some helpful information. I've made several boxes over the last few years, and one thing I always dreaded was installing the hinges or locks because the screws were so darn small and weak, they would often break off. Even when I use a steel screw first, I would...
  18. B

Wet sanding water based finishes

I would say that the majority of woodworkers are not taking the extra time to rub out finishes to get to a high gloss - or even rubbing out at all. For them, waterborne finishes are great. They dry quickly (two hours between coats), allow you to get multiple coats on in one day, and clean up...
  19. B

Ethan Allen Manufacturing Closing - Auction

One of my friends sent me this link for an auction of the manufacturing equipment for Ethan Allen furniture in Old Fort., I hope someone can find something that they can use. https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/timed/liquid-asset-partners/catalogue-id-bscli10015
  20. B

Steel City 3HP table saw - $950

Not mine, but looks to be in very good shape. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/967683596688574/

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS