Search results

1. Will Goodwin

REALLY getting started

Ok guys, I know it has been a very long time since I've been on or posted, but I've had lots of kid stuff to iron out. I am now ready to really dig in and get serious about the projects around the house. I need to start in the shop obviously. I will be limited on space, so I need to come up...
  2. Will Goodwin

First Home in NC

We close on our house in Hillsborough next week. I look forward to settling in and setting up shop :eusa_danc. Of course we need to get moved and unpacked, but then I forsee some honeydo ww projects.
  3. Will Goodwin

Lots to announce

Well since I logged in last, I'm sure lots has happened with you all and the site. I am no exception. I accepted a full time position in Hillsborough. (Nice town all you guys and gals in Orange county!) I now commute there everyday. And on Wednesday, we got a call about an adoption...
  4. Will Goodwin

Plaques

Well I haven't done much of anything regarding ww for quite a while. Wife and I are adopting and she wanted me to be involved in some of the nursery decorating. She purchased some unfinished pine plaques from Michaels. She wanted me to put some pictures on them. I asked a few months back...
  5. Will Goodwin

Painting Art on Bare Wood

I have some small routed pine plaques that my wife wants pictures painted on. I'd rather not have the picture in the middle with bare wood surrounding it. Does anyone have any experience with this type of project? Should I stain the wood, then paint acrylic over the stain and then put a...
  6. Will Goodwin

I'm Back!

I have a final exam this Friday and then I am DONE! I can finally take a few days to dust off the tools and get busy. LOML suggested taking a few weeks off to just rest after hitting the books for 12 hours a day since Sept 1st. I like that idea :rolf:. I've got a few projects on the...
  7. Will Goodwin

Reindeer update and question

For those of you who don't know, I promised LOML some reindeer yard art like 6 or 7 years ago. I purchased the plans and they sat in a drawer. When we moved to NC and I found this site, I figured it would be a good first project. Here is the link to the thread I started...
  8. Will Goodwin

Update on LOML

Hey fellow sawdust makers! I know I haven't been on much lately, but some of you know why. My wife took a bad spill going into the garage on the 4th of July and broke one ankle and sprained the other. It has been a long road of recovery, but she is doing much better. As you can imagine...
  9. Will Goodwin

Re: Advisory Panel Forum Permissions

Steve editing the masks fixed the issue. I don't see the advisory panel forum any more. Talk to you in a few days, I hope all goes well.
  10. Will Goodwin

Basic Woodworking Class

I started my Basic Woodworking Class at Klingspor's last night. We didn't actually do anything the first day, so no pics... sorry y'all. I'm sure with 3 weeks left, I'll get some. Over the course of 3 weeks we'll build a shaker table with a drawer and subsequently learn about most of the...
  11. Will Goodwin

Tool gloat

A while back I asked for thoughts about a truck. Momma won and we got an SUV (which means I'll be purchasing a trailer soon to haul the wood). It is slightly used, but new to me and low miles. Here's a pic. Just got it this past weekend. Still have to get all the official stuff done, but we...
  12. Will Goodwin

New thread in Safety forum

I just clicked on the Report a thread button in the safety forum. I don't know where that shows up, so I thought I'd post here too. Jeff's thread could get ugly. Will
  13. Will Goodwin

Proper alignment of Splitter/guard on TS

Well I have my first major tool purchase... what I wanted was the Rigid model that someone else just recently purchased. But for a starter model that fit our budget, I got the craftsman one from Sears. I put the stand together last night and one of the 4 bolt holes that mount the saw to the...
  14. Will Goodwin

Planer vs Jointer/Planer combo

Are there reasons I should or shouldn't buy a jointer/planer combo over the two machines separately. Any suggestions for starter machines? I am just trying to figure out if I buy my wood from a sawyer how am I going to get it planed to thickness and then in a position to glue up for a table...
  15. Will Goodwin

Great Book for Absolute Beginners

LOML bought me this book a few years ago for Christmas. I skimmed it and put it on a shelf. I recently took it back down and found that it has a wealth of info in it. From what each tool in the shop is used for (explains different kinds of drill bits for the drill press, saw blades, hand tools -...
  16. Will Goodwin

Routing techniques?

I just fired up my router for the first time Sunday night after cleaning up all my scrap from the reindeer. I decided to just play around to get an idea of how this thing (Ryobi router mounted in the table it comes with) works. Well I made a few passes on the 1/2 inch pine scrap and it seemed...
  17. Will Goodwin

Store near Greensboro?

Since we moved to Raleigh, my wife has been unable to shop at her favorite store (Garden Ridge), so we took a drive over to Greensboro Saturday to spend some time letting LOML go crazy. :wwink: On the way there I noticed a shop on the North side of I-40 - Woodworkers Supply of North Carolina...
  18. Will Goodwin

What is this router bit for?

Well I finally decided on a set of bits from MLCS (thanks again Bas :icon_thum). They arrived yesterday. :wwink: I have figured out what you use all the bits for except one. :eusa_thin Will
  19. Will Goodwin

Yard art - Reindeer

This past weekend, I started my Reindeer project. I spent Saturday shopping for materials. I rented the truck at the BORG in Garner and learned that I didn't know anything about plywood. Now I know a bit more. I purchased materials for the Reindeer, the Sleigh and a bookcase project (some...
  20. Will Goodwin

Shop Dog

This past Tuesday I made my first sawdust. Which may not be that great for carving purists, but for me it was awesome. History: Many years ago, (I was in the 3rd grade if memory serves correctly), a salty old woodcarver came to my school and did a presentation on his craft. Generally he did...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS