Search results

1. Threejs

Some Christmas Gifts

Turned these this morning. Most will be given to my co-workers, some will be given to my wife's friends. It only took a few hours to turn them, as I had the wood set aside already. Most of them are cherry, a few are spalted red maple, two are purple heart, and one is some stinky mystery wood...
  2. Threejs

Crib (life bed)

Well, I finally finished the crib that I have been working on (and off) for the last year, and delivered it last week. Today marked the anniversary of the initial design. Luckily the child it was intended for had a loaner crib for a couple of months, but has now moved into his new bed...
  3. Threejs

Anyone here ever make pistol grips?

I recently bought a 1911, and one of the grips has a small crack below the bottom screw. Anyone here have experience making new grips, and know where I can get stabilized wood, and instructions?
  4. Threejs

A Sunday with Roy Underhill

For Christmas, my wife got me into a class with Roy Underhill. It was his dovetail, and tenon joint class, where he teaches dovetails, half blind dovetails, and an intersecting mortise and tenon joint. The wood working was a lot of fun and informational. Having hands on access to just ask...
  5. Threejs

Three questions about bandsaws (and stuff)

So I bought a steel city 14" bandsaw (model 50100), and have it mostly put together in my shop. Now this is my first "real" bandsaw. (I owned a BS99 plastic piece of junk at one time, but felt it was better suited for my kids to take apart, after the aluminum tensioner broke, but that is another...
  6. Threejs

Location on Classifieds

Could location be a column on the classifieds page? It sure would save some clicking.
  7. Threejs

Turkey Call

First, I have to thank Flyrod444 for his help on this. He answered several questions, and got me going in the right direction. This is another Christmas present for this year. It is a turkey call made from cherry and slate. The striker is purple heart and cherry. I was surprised at how...
  8. Threejs

Since everyone else is doing wine stoppers....

Show us your wine stoppers for Christmas 08.
  9. Threejs

Marking Knife

Since it is the time of year that everyone seems to be doing "project" work, I figured I would post one of the projects that I recently completed. The blade came from http://www.czeckedge.com/, and the wood came from a field of the family. I hope the recipient likes it. :)
  10. Threejs

"Click here" page not found

Steve, The link in the manditory message took me to a page not found error. I had to log out, and click on the scrolling marque to get into the thread. This is the link that worked for me. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f22/changes-changes-confusion-18533/ The link the message took me to...
  11. Threejs

Oops

So I was working in the shop this past Sunday, and was cutting the corners off some walnut squares with my chop saw. Well, my second youngest came out to talk, and watch me work. That in itself was enough for me to make a mistake. I lifted the blade on the chopsaw while it was still winding...
  12. Threejs

Disappointed with the Grizzly jointer

Not so happy with Grizzly right now. Started using my jointer today for it's second project, and got 3 boards into it, before the motor gave up the ghost. I can turn the motor by hand (and it will turn the blades when I do this), but when I plug it in and flip the switch, it just buzzes at...
  13. Threejs

Hooper Sale (What did you walk away with?)

I am going to go ahead and start a thread for this. If you guys do not go, then you really are missing out. When I left, there is lots of wood for not much $ and lots of tools left. Myself, I walked away with the following items: -Craftsman plane (roughly a #7 or #8) I haven't measured it...
  14. Threejs

Not so unexpected Gloat

Well the grizzly jointer (GZ1182ZHW) showed up this morning at the UPS Freight yard. Took the pickup out, brought it home to the shop, and went to work. Wouldn't you know that today would be the first day in months, that I had to put in extra hours. I left the office and 8 and came home and...
  15. Threejs

Bowl finish

What do you bowl turners use for a finish, on a bowl that you know will have food in it. A friend has asked me to make a bowl for her 6 month old to have her first meal from, and I want to make sure the bowl, finish, and child will survive the meal. :) Not to mention the subsequent cleaning....
  16. Threejs

Grizzly Tools

Since my shop consists of a following: Jet midi lathe craftsman 10" (scary little) contractor saw (that is tippy) craftsman 10" miter saw Delta DP350 (easly the best tool in the shop) Delta Dust collector (the most unused tool in the shop as my other tools do not have dust ports) Delta air...
  17. Threejs

Acrylic Turning Stock

So where can you pick up acrylic turning stock that is larger than a pen blank. I would like to find rods or blocks up to 3" in diameter so that I can turn discs and whirls for top spindles.
  18. Threejs

For all you power tool junkies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenC0y2azsE Just ordered a froe, and was looking for how to use one.. I am surprised this guy has all this fingers, but it is pretty interesting to watch.
  19. Threejs

Minor Gloat

My wife and I went to Brevard this weeked to celebrate out 12th anniversary. Well while I was there, I picked up some beech tree logs, that my father had lying around from a tree they cut on the property. It worked out to be 7 logs, about 3' log. The largest is 10" in diameter, the smallest...
  20. Threejs

Turning pens again...

I got a chance to turn some pens today. It has been almost 2 years since I turned my last one (also first). I had forgotten how precise you have to be with these darn things. I went through 3 kits today, and ended up with 2 pens, only one of which I like. It is all good though. I am...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS