Search results

1. cpw

Log ID help

Anyone know that this is? The grain is tight and stringy, but it's not very dense or heavy. Just a bit heavier than poplar. Sorry, no foliage. This was a blow-down log that's been down a couple of years. TIA
  2. cpw

Fire extinguisher in shop w/o climate control

We were looking into putting a fire extinguisher out in the shop but there's no A/C and it will just bake in the sun all summer. We have no idea how hot it will get inside and all of the models we have looked at say not to store àbove 120° F. Any advice or experience in this realm would be...
  3. cpw

Gluing to oil stained wood?

Has anyone had any success gluing raw wood to another piece that has already been stained with oil based stain? If so, what process and/or products did you use?
  4. cpw

SOLD: Rockler Dovetail Jig

This listing is mine. https://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/d/forest-city-rockler-dovetail-jig/7257519449.html
  5. cpw

SOLD: Jet ProShop Table Saw

This is mine. Will discount for NCWW member. https://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/d/forest-city-jet-proshop-table-saw/7257498896.html I need to sell it pretty fast. We're selling the house and set to close Jan. 15th. I can assist with disassembly and loading.
  6. cpw

Which grease for gears and trunnions?

I am tearing down my 18" Jet bandsaw to move it, and it seems like a good time to clean and lube. The trunnions aren't that dirty, but the table has always been a bit "noisy" to tilt and when I removed it I was surprised by how little lube there was. The more I search the more confusing it...
  7. cpw

Advice sought: Precautions with no shop HVAC

We're finally moved into the mobile home (for the most part) and the house is under contract. We're currently culling and moving the shop into a shed with no HVAC. I am not comfortable leaving a space heater running when I am not out there. I insulated the walls, mostly for noise reduction, and...
  8. cpw

Band saw tire exploded

Well, maybe exploded is a bit of hyperbole, but it did fly apart while I was using the saw, and some of the pieces hit my left hand. It stung, but it was only a minor injury. No contact with the blade. It was the lower tire on a 12 year-old 18" Jet, and the tires were original. The weird thing...
  9. cpw

How do you avoid "sticky" painting shelves?

When you're painting shelves how do you get a finish that stuff doesn't stick to? I rebuilt the shelf in our closet ten years ago and we still have to "peel" loose anything that sits on it for any length of time. I grabbed a spare bedspread we keep in the vinyl zipper package it came in and you...
  10. cpw

Oscillating Multi-tools: What do you have? What's good? What's bad?

Question: Which oscillating multi-tool(s) do you have and what do you like and not like about it? Background: I am looking to replace an older Fein Multimaster with the hex key post to hold the blades. I keep having to buy replacement posts because the hex hole wears out, and even when the post...
  11. cpw

Asheville CL: Tempest2 pcx dust collector - $300 (Brevard)

https://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/d/brevard-tempest2-pcx-dust-collector/7192316179.html Not mine. I'd jump on it if I had anywhere to store it, but we're downsizing.
  12. cpw

Tip: Pegboard standoff spacers on the cheap.

Mounting spacers for pegboard are expensive, just for little hunks of plastic. I just checked Amazon and saw $9.99 for a dozen and $17.99 for 24 sets with washers and screws. You could do the furring strips as standoffs thing, but that renders a lot of the holes in the pegboard useless. I...
  13. cpw

Prototype Designer Looking for Feedback

A fellow has designed a triple doweller as an alternative to a Domino and is looking for feedback: Link to video if it doesn't load
  14. cpw

Seeing KILZ on white ceiling - any tips?

As part of our mobile home renovation we are repainting. My son was helping and hit some discolored spots on the ceiling with KILZ, and now I cannot see them clearly to go back over the treated spots with the paint. I don't want to repaint the whole ceiling, just the spots. The KILZ is a...
  15. cpw

Changing entry door swing side?

As I have stated previously, my wife and I are rehabing a mobile home. We're downsizing and will be using it as a transition place. I am going to replace the front door and storm door. Currently the storm door out-swings to the left and the entry door in-swings to the left, impeding access to...
  16. cpw

Removing Peel & Stick Floor Tile Residue

Bought a mobile home we're fixing up. Had peel & stick tile squares in the kitchen/laundry. The tile popped right up but left behind a lot of sticky residue. The sub-floor is particle board. Anyone have a go to method for removing the residue? Most common solutions on the interwebs: Soak...
  17. cpw

Heavy duty rubber flooring in the shop?

Here at work we have a workout room with some mondo tough "rubber" flooring. The flooring has been in place over concrete for 6-7 years at this point, and has heavy Nautilus equipment and even some free weights, and the floor still looks great. No visible wear or damage that I can see. It's...
  18. cpw

Asheville CL: Performax 22-44 PRO Drum Sander - $1200 (Mars Hill, NC)

Not mine. I'd jump on it if I had the $$, but I don't. It was $1700 when I saw it yesterday. Performax 22-44 PRO Drum Sander - $1200 (Mars Hill, NC)
  19. cpw

Asheville CL: FIFTY 20' X 6" PVC PIPE SCH 40 $45. ( small number $55. - $55 (SWANNANOA)

Not mine. XXXX FIFTY 20' X 6" PVC PIPE SCH 40 $45. ( small number $55. - $55 (SWANNANOA)
  20. cpw

HELP! We bought an air compressor...

All my past experiences with compressors have been in shops where they had what they had so that's what we worked with, so essentially, I know nothing. We bought a Kobalt QUIET TECH 26-Gallon Portable Electric Vertical Air Compressor. It comes with 1/4" couplers, and I was going to switch them...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS