Search results

1. J

I want to learn bowl turning

My first few attempts were slightly disastrous, and a little violent. :lol: I do chisel handles and basic spindle stuff from time to time but could use some pointers with the bowl thing, starting right at the beginning from wood types and sources, grain orientation right on up from there. I...
  2. J

Deja vu

All, This past week we got some test results for my father, and while the chemo treatments he has been going through are in fact reducing the size of the cancer and he has been tolerating the treatments much better than he has before (he's been through this a few times now), they also show the...
  3. J

this weekends flea finds

Blazing hot but I hit it fairly early and was home by 11am. Got a Mussehl and Westphal Musical Saw (that is a strip of tape on the teeth). Then I found this 18" Disston tenon saw, I think is what it is. It looks rough here but I think it will clean up pretty well. I plan to use this...
  4. J

Stanley #3 rehab

More Show and Tell. Here's a Stanley #3C, type 17 WWII era I just finished giving a makover. It was a fairly bad rustbucket but was solid underneath with good wood. Stripped and refinished the body (most of the jappanning was gone) as well as the wood, just cleaned the rest without getting...
  5. J

oh Mooonnnty

BAM! :eusa_danc
  6. J

Keepsake box

Wanted to post a pic of the little keepsake box I made for my Mom for christmas. I forgot to take any pics until it was time to wrap and go so didn't get any of the inside, but it was red felt lined. The body is spanish cedar and the top panel is tiger wood.
  7. J

any good box plans around?

I'm planning to build my mom a little keepsake box for xmas, got some mahogany already...anyone know of some decent and simple plans? Don't have to be free, but I'm running out of time to keep looking for much longer.
  8. J

wood sales list

I wanted to post this so everyone can look it over. Right now it's just NC only, but as we go we can maybe add others, as well as ones that are mainly online retailers. Please let me know of glaring errors, ommisions or changes needed... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Catawba Hardwoods And Dry Kilns...
  9. J

Woodshop Tips and Tricks

I thought it may be fun, not to mention helpful, to start a thread to share some tips and tricks that make life a little easier in the shop and maybe to help each other save a little cash here and there. Here's one... My wife and I get several credit card offers every week. I have enough...
  10. J

G05381/3 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander

Anyone have this? I need a spindle sander and it's on sale for $109.95. Wondering if I will be able to buy replacement sleeves for it easily.
  11. J

crosscut sleds?

What design are you using? I just bought some incra sliders to build mine and would like to see what other are using.
  12. J

shop layout

How did you folks arrive at a final shop layout? I'm in a one car garage, and even then one whole wall can't be used due to floor-ceiling cabinets. I want to get a good idea on arrangement, then pull out everything and paint the walls/ceiling and put it all back where it will go, but I'm at...
  13. J

Table saw vs. cat

My wife's cat stays in the garage at night. Lately he's been getting on top of my table saw, evidently straight from the litter box, because he's left rusty footprints and a little cat litter on there. While I am trying to stay calm, I REALLY do not want to have to cover/uncover my saw when I...
  14. J

Tree removal?

Is there anyone in the area that will remove trees for the wood? I have some trees that I want removed, mostly oaks, and when I paid to get the last ones removed, I realized as they were carting away the huge logs that maybe someone would be willing to remove the trees for the wood. Of course...
  15. J

Newbie here

Hi all, wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris Jones, but everyone calls me "Jonz" (too dang many named Chris). Found this place on a recommendation when I was inquiring about joining TWA, although I think I have stumbled over here from Woodnet before. I'm a garage worker, I seem to be...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors