Search results

1. willarda

Handsaw Sharpening 2019-04-16

Description of services for sharpening and reconditioning handsaws
  2. willarda

EMW Workshop Schedule 2019-04-16

Workshop schedule for Edwards Mountain Woodworks for January throug June, 2011
  3. willarda

Ebony from Ivory!

I use blond shellac, which is going to impart a slight yellowing nonetheless. I have used lacquer with holly, which gives a very clear finish. The lacquer is quite toxic, however and you need ventilation and filter to deal with it adequately. Note: I make my shellac up in isopropanol (99%)...
  4. willarda

Ebony from Ivory!

I'm jus' sayin' that the contrast does not necessarily have to be stark, just different. Having said that, there is absolutely an aesthetic to the difference between the pure white wood and any other dark wood. When I made my personal sticks, there were with holly (!).
  5. willarda

Yellow wood

Osage Orange does grow around here, but this is the Southern limit. There is a large tree in Pittsboro on the corner next to the Pizza shop just up from the Woodwright's School. The fruit is the size of small bowling balls, and I seldom resist the temptation to "bowl" one down the side street...
  6. willarda

Ebony from Ivory!

I teach a workshop on Workbench Fixtures at the Woodwright's School. This includes a pair of winding sticks. Bottom line is that any pair of contrasting woods will be excellent for this purpose. Ebony and Holly are certainly diametric opposites and thus good choices. However, maple is a good...
  7. willarda

Drawknife recommendations

Elia Bizzarri, Windsor chairmaker in H'boro, reconditions and sells drawknives. He is an expert on their use. Check out www.handtoolwoodworking.com
  8. willarda

Ebony from Ivory!

How about soaking the holly strips in black aniline dye (TransTint)?
  9. willarda

Flattening many Record 044 blades

I used those discs for a while and they are a good deal. An even better deal is to buy the Norton Blue ceramic zirconia (?) disks which will go from 36 to 400 I believe. Those are meant for the machine shop and are really great on grinding metals. Above that, I just buy the 6" disks by the...
  10. willarda

Flattening many Record 044 blades

I do a lot of sharpening and rehabbing cutting edges at the Woodwright's School. Monday I cleaned up the irons from 64 planes and 30 chisels. I find that the WorkSharp is invaluable when I need a lot of throughput like that. When I began using the WorkSharp, I bought extra glass plates so...
  11. willarda

short log iin times

OK I am all squared away! thanks
  12. willarda

short log iin times

There is no "remember me" near the login box.
  13. willarda

short log iin times

When I work on a post with a length reply, I find that I have been automatically logged out when I try to post. This means that my text is completely lost. To circumvent this problem, I try to copy the reply test at intervals, but this works only partially as I often forget to copy. Can the...
  14. willarda

Shoulder Plane

The best way to get great tenon shoulders (not the cheeks) is to chop and saw them carefully. When you use a shoulder plane on a tenon shoulder you run the risk of spelching out the shoulder at the end of the pass. Also, you are assuming that your tenon cheeks are square, flat and without twist...
  15. willarda

Want Some Persimmon Wood

I am trying to make sense of your reply, doesn't seem too straightforward. I am not an expert on wood identification. However, this is what I have going for me on this subject: 1. The wood has the appearance of what I have read about regarding persimmon. I should note that persimmon is in...
  16. willarda

Want Some Persimmon Wood

No splits at all. The slab was sawn about 1" above the pith and 1" below the pith. IOW, the slab was perfectly quarter sawn, which is the most stable configuration for wood in general. You may be thinking about halving the log through the pith, in which case the lumber will have QS, rift and...
  17. willarda

Want Some Persimmon Wood

I do not do instrument making, but I would assume the most critical aspect of the wood would be to have is straight grained, absolutely no run-out along its length. This would give the wood its greatest strength, yet the fibers would be long and straight. Seems like this would contribute to...
  18. willarda

Want Some Persimmon Wood

The person who runs the high school woodworking program (nationally recognized) at Cedar Ridge (his name escapes me, embarrassingly enough!), but he lives out on Old Greensboro Highway west of CH about 5 miles or so. He and his brothers harvest local trees as a sideline and flitch saw them...
  19. willarda

Saw Sets

It makes a big difference if the sawset is single action or double action! When you set the set on a tooth and squeeze the handle, depending on the gap between the plunger and the anvil, you can overset the tooth from the leverage on single action sets. Double action sets grab the saw plate...
  20. willarda

posting a classified

Not sure how to post a classified add

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors