Search results

1. Sandy Rose

Rigid table saw

I'm in the market for a new table saw and was looking online at the stationary one by Ridgid at Home Depot, but the only store that has them in stock and on display is in Fayetteville. All the stores around Raleigh have the portable contractor version, but I can't tell how similar they are. Does...
  2. Sandy Rose

HVLP Advice Needed

Its getting time to paint our house and was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on using a HVLP handheld system that can spray unthinned latex paint. In theory, I would think it should work - but I'm not sure what would happen during a stiff breeze. Would it work, or just blow away...
  3. Sandy Rose

Ipad posting problems

Anyone else having issues when posting to the quick reply box in a thread using an ipad? I can start a post (I'm using the ipad to write this one) but when I go to reply to a thread, I can only enter one letter at a time. I don't have any problems with the fishing forum that I read and have...
  4. Sandy Rose

Brass tubes

Does anyone know where I locally find long (more than a pen length) sections of the same 7mm brass tubes for most of the pen kits out there? I know woodcraft sells replace sections like the ones that come in pen kits and you can order through PSI, but I don't need a ton of it.
  5. Sandy Rose

Cool Tools for Kids

Oh how I wish my little man was a little older! http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eeee/?pfm=homepage_Featured_3_eeee
  6. Sandy Rose

One more...

I guess I never did this either - I am a financial and insurance advisor with a home-based practice. My wife, Nicole, and I have a son named Ryan who can't wait to play in the shop with me. Other than woodworking, I love to fish and spend time with the family. I started woodworking a few...
  7. Sandy Rose

Which Bandsaw Blade?

I need to replace the stock blade on my bandsaw - What are everyone's opinion between Grizzly and Timberwolf? It takes a 59.25" blade so I need to special order it from one or the other since no one stocks that size. Any advice/other suggestions would be appreciated.
  8. Sandy Rose

Mahogany Candlestick Table

This is the first thing I've made in a while other than bowls and pens, but it's all mahogany finished with 5 coats of amber shellac and 2 coats of polycrylic on the table surface. The legs were from a template borrowed from my dad (Larry Rose) and the spindle was my own design. I finished the...
  9. Sandy Rose

Slabs

Does anyone have or know where I can find some smaller (2-3' X 3-4') slabs? I wanted to try and make a coffee table, but the ones I've seen at Klingspor and Woodcraft are larger and more $$ than I want to spend. I don't have a specific species in mind yet.
  10. Sandy Rose

Picture problems on iPod/iPhone

I've noticed when I view threads on the mobile site on an iPod, the picture links are either not there, or linked wrong. Is anyone else having this issue, or am I missing something in user preferences?
  11. Sandy Rose

A couple of new pens

I recently made 2 pens out of some scrap wood. Both are finished to a 12,000 grit and I wanted to see how using paste wax as a top coat would do. I think the wax turned out ok, I applied 3 coats of wax while they were still on the lathe and just buffed it with a cotton rag. Mahogany...
  12. Sandy Rose

Holiday Weekend Turnings

Haven't done too much in the shop with all the hot weather lately, but I got a few things completed over Labor Day weekend: Sycamore finished with BLO. And this is my first attempt at turning a pen: Padauk with no finish - I just sanded through a 12,000 grit micro mesh pad.
  13. Sandy Rose

First attempts at turning.

I have not posted anything new for a while, but I've been practicing on some scrap wood and pieces of firewood all finished with BLO before I go buy the good blanks. This is some Cherry with a partial natural edge I have no clue what kind of wood this is,came out of the firewood pile...
  14. Sandy Rose

Dollhouse?

I'm thinking about building a dollhouse for our 3 year old niece for Chirstmas this year. Has anyone built one from scratch that can give me some direction on how to get this done? I know that Woodcraft has a few plans, but I'm not sure they're big enough for the toys she has. Or should I...
  15. Sandy Rose

Bookshelf - Completed

I have finally completed my bookshelf project - To get the darkness LOML wanted, I used 4 coats of Ebony stain, 3 coats of Polyurethane and finished off with 2 coats of paste wax.
  16. Sandy Rose

Bookshelf

I started building a couple of bookshelves this weekend. The wife wanted "hanging" shelves, meaning no visible supports. I figured the best way to support them is to mount a 36in long 2"x2" to the wall studs with 3" long screws and to mount the bookshelf to that...we'll see if it works, but I'm...
  17. Sandy Rose

Helping a neighbor

I have a neighbor that is getting ready to start building a counter for his master bathroom. He wants to make the countertop out of soild Oak that he wants to stain with two sinks that will just sit on top of the counter. I brought up the concern that the oak, over time could warp since it's...
  18. Sandy Rose

Bookcase

I started a bookcase over the weekend...all of it is oak and will be finishing it off with an esspresso stain. You can see the pocket holes in these pics, but I am going to be plugging them before the finishing process. There will be a back to it - it's already stained and drying in my...
  19. Sandy Rose

Olympic Stains

I don't know if anyone has run into this problem, but I had started a couple of office furniture projects in which I was using the same stain on all the pieces. I had used the Olympic brand oil-base stain from Lowes, however, Lowes has decided to discontinue this brand - unfortunatley Lowes is...
  20. Sandy Rose

Trip to Woodcraft

I was in the new Woodcraft in Raleigh yesterday and saw a pretty neat air compressor alternative called a JacPac Regulator...it's a portable, CO2 based system that you can connect to a pneumatic brad nailer. I need a nailer, but don't have the room for a compressor, hose, etc... Has anyone...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors