Search results

1. cpaul

Anyone with experience stabilizing wood?

John @Mauser44, thanks for the tips.
  2. cpaul

The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

Yes thanks very much for having us over. It was a pleasure meeting everyone - hope we can do it again soon.
  3. cpaul

The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

Is that perhaps only enabled for folks other than 'new users'? I don't have that option.
  4. cpaul

Sorry to have to ask this - I have actually used my eyeballs but I don't see how to PM here. Help?
  5. cpaul

Address? I'll stop in to say hello if I can find you :)
  6. cpaul

Anyone with experience stabilizing wood?

I've watched the videos and it looks pretty straightforward, but thought I would ask local folks about best equipment, places to buy, etc. I would be working with pieces no bigger than a brick. If anyone can share what they've learned, especially if it helps me avoid costly mistakes, I'd...
  7. cpaul

I'm down with Durham also. Can we share a google sheet or invite or something like that to keep track of how many are interested and what location? Is there an email list I can download so we can get that going?
  8. cpaul

Cheap? Diamond stones???

No experience with the Shaff, but the woodcraft 400/1200 is a similar double sided diamond bonded plate. I've been happy with mine (got on sale for $30), but I don't rely on it as a reference flat.
  9. cpaul

WOW! JUST WOW!

Please, I'm ready!
  10. cpaul

Any local birch burl?

Hi Folks, I just purchased some masur birch burl from a seller in Russia, thru etsy. Well, I say 'just purchased' but I really mean 'just received'. It's beautiful material for pen blanks, knife handles, etc, but I'd really like to find a local source so I don't have to wait 90 days for...
  11. cpaul

Share pics of your letter openers?

That's right Hank @Hmerkle. The center piece (bubinga) has a through hole just slightly larger than the OD of the marble. Also, the bubinga handle is routed (with a collar and template) to create a tight fit for the maple inlays, which stand proud of the bubinga and have radiused edges so it's...
  12. cpaul

Housed Sliding Dovetail jig

Very neat. Thanks for sharing this.
  13. cpaul

Recommendations for decent screws

Ah! Scott makes a good point - I have had a square DRIVER turn itself round inside a square drive screw. That driver came with a cheap pocket hole jig and was not quality steel, perhaps not even steel.
  14. cpaul

Spoons!

Nice! Is that last one Sapele?
  15. cpaul

Recommendations for decent screws

I'm a fan of McFeely's square drive as well. Recently I checked my local HD for anything remotely similar and found these - Pro Twist trim screws. They've worked well for me so far. Just make sure you're using the correct size driver and that it's properly engaged, and like the other folks in...
  16. cpaul

8.50 a board foot?

On the walnut slab, I'd say that's a good price. From your measurements, I come up with 36 bd ft, which would be about $300 at that price. I paid close to $500 for a 9ft x 26in x 2.5in slab a couple years ago, which breaks down to about $10/bd ft.
  17. cpaul

Curved Lid Teak Jewelry Boxes

Really nice work! Would love to see that dovetail / dado centering jig too. Thanks for posting.
  18. cpaul

Spoons!

Another batch of gifts made for last Christmas . . . these were the first spoons I 'carved' with the help of that nifty angle grinder ball gouge from Arbortech - a very handy tool. Anyway, thought I'd share and ask if anyone else would like to do the same - show your spoons!
  19. cpaul

Share pics of your letter openers?

I made a letter opener for my Mom last Christmas and just came across a pic of it today. Bubinga with maple handle inlays, and a goldstone (aventurine glass) marble set in the handle so it can spin freely. It was a fun project and I think I'll make more for gifting this Christmas. I'd love to...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors