Search results

1. B

Best way to stain plywood black?

Thank you!
  2. B

This is the first time I’ve heard of this method! Do you apply a finish on top of it?
  3. B

As the title indicates, I’d like to stain some plywood black, and would like any wood grain patterns to be visible, while having it look completely black. I did a search 👀, but couldn’t find an answer. These plywood pieces would be used to build an entertainment center and some shelving units...
  4. B

WANTED - Parf guide borrow or rental

I’m the guy @Martin Roper borrowed the Parf guide from, and am happy to loan it to anyone else local to or willing to pick it up from Durham. It’s a weird size (comes in a long cardboard tube), and I don’t want to ship it for fear of it getting damaged. I’m rarely on the forum these days, so...
  5. B

Double Refined MDF Source

Part of the reason is the aesthetics, I’m sure. The color pigments are added into the resin+fiber mix, so the Valchromat retains its color throughout, instead of being a surface finish. It also feels incredibly hard and is moisture resistant, as well as supposedly being easier on your cutting...
  6. B

I don’t yet, but once I’m done with my workbench project, I should have a piece that you can check out. It’s supposedly 30% stronger than MDF, and it certainly feels denser and more rigid than MDF. Valchromat® - Atlantic Plywood
  7. B

Ten-year belated intro

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Martin in person and benefiting from his generosity! He picked up some Valchromat for me recently after we connected on a thread about a workbench build by Dennis at the Hooked On Wood YouTube channel. Nice to officially meet you here!
  8. B

Free Stuff

I’d love the form, but won’t be able to get it till Monday evening at the earliest. Will that work?
  9. B

These are cool, Martin. Thank you again for picking up the Valchromat sheets and delivering them!
  10. B

What Would You Buy with $2000?

I’m excited to see the final product!
  11. B

My shop space is large enough now, but it’s a temporary situation, and it’s likely that my future shop (hopefully behind the house) will not be large enough to accommodate bigger pieces of equipment. And yes, $2k evaporates pretty quickly when it comes to power tools!!
  12. B

Thank for the input! Any opinions on a brand and model for jointers?
  13. B

Aah, I forgot to include that I have both a jigsaw (my first woodworking-related purchase, actually) and a circular saw. I might also have an old grinder in the shed - presumably for sharpening?
  14. B

Martin, I plan to make one just like Dennis’s from Hooked On Wood!
  15. B

Chris, as of now, I'm interested in making lamps, coffee tables, desks, chairs, etc.
  16. B

I am in the somewhat early stages of equipping my woodworking and maker shop, and as far as power tools go, I currently have a table saw, track saw, drill press, miter saw and random orbital sander. I've primarily been working with dimensional lumber and offcuts, but would like to start working...
  17. B

pencils

I’ve got a number of mechanical pencils, as I’m a huge fan of them, and this one is the best I currently own. It automatically rotates the lead as you advance it so that it’s always on the sharp side as it wears down with use. Uni Kuru Toga Roulette Model Auto Lead Rotation 0.5mm Mechanical...
  18. B

Changed my tune

What sorts of little British cars? (TVRs among them, I’m sure, given your name). I’m a Mini enthusiast, though I don’t currently own one.
  19. B

Saw blade off-center on new Sawstop table saw

Thanks for the input, everyone! I’m going to try the suggestions here and see if I can sort this out.
  20. B

Saw blade off-center on new Sawstop table saw

I got a sweet deal on a SawStop Contractor saw with table extension off eBay a couple of weeks ago. Picked it up from the previous owner, who hadn’t even completed assembling it (his wife surprised him with a SS cabinet saw), and finally completed assembly today. While going over everything, I...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors