Search results

1. bphaynes

Wood Identification

I just finished up a step stool for my brother and sister in law. The top two steps are from a piece of lumber I got from my grandfather earlier this year when he had to close down his shop. I don't think it was a fresh piece and probably sitting around for a number of years due to his decline...
  2. bphaynes

Sawstop PCS blade elevation knob will not lock

My PCS is a few years old and the elevation knob is no longer locking the blade in place. I believe that there is a woodruff key (half crescent) in the shaft of the elevation knob thing that can get worn, but I can't figure out how to get the shaft out. Does anyone have any suggestions or have...
  3. bphaynes

New Front Door

After our house fire (see this thread), we're slowly getting everything fixed. Next step is a new front door after the firefighters had to force entry. I don't know for certain, but I'm betting it's solid wood so I asked my GC to quote replacing a solid wood door. He usually gets his doors from...
  4. bphaynes

House Fire

We just moved to Winston-Salem from King and our new house needed a good bit of work just to move in. We needed all new floors so on the main level I wanted white oak hardwoods. I was not happy with the installation. They did not put wood filler in many areas with gaps, knots, nail holes, etc. I...
  5. bphaynes

Where to buy and how to install stair newel and railing

I recently purchased my first home and we're moving to Winston-Salem in about a week. I had solid white oak hardwoods put in, but I'd like to replace the stained poplar newel post and railings currently on. What's the best place to buy white oak stair parts either in person or online? I found...
  6. bphaynes

Sharpen countersink?

My Fuller countersinks are getting a little dull and burning up. I've cleaned them, but is there a way to sharpen them so I don't have to buy another set? I don't have a grinder, but I do have diamond stones if there is a way.
  7. bphaynes

Introduction

Hey guys, I've been on here for a while, but haven't introduced myself. I'm currently in King, but my job moves me around occasionally. Dad of 2, soon to be 3 in about two weeks. I've gotten back into woodworking after taking shop in high school and getting some tools from my grandfather who...
  8. bphaynes

Dust collection beyond shop vac

I just got my first cabinet saw, a Sawstop PCS. It has a 4in dust port and I needed to upgrade my dust collection anyway. I’ve seen a lot of posts about a HF dust collector with a Wynn canister and possibly even a super dust deputy. If you have a set up like that, does it work pretty well? I...
  9. bphaynes

Contractor vs. Cabinet vs. Hybrid Saw

I'm looking to upgrade from my DeWalt jobsite table saw and I'm looking at going a cheaper route (contractor saw) or more expensive like a Saw Stop cabinet saw. I'm just a weekend hobbiest so I don't feel like I need a cabinet saw, but I want something that is good quality. I know there are...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS