Search results

1. Grit12Gauge

Made plans but new to woodworking and need help with joints

Gotcha! Didn’t know I could do that. Thank you!
  2. Grit12Gauge

Hollow Chisel Mortiser or Domino Jointer

I feel comfortable cutting tenons on the table saw with my dado stack. I’ve cut my mortises with a router and spiral up cut then used chisel to square edges. I think my problem is I’m cutting tenons before mortises
  3. Grit12Gauge

Thank you tons! I got worried thinking that I may need mortise and tenons but your way seems much more practical. My plan was to make this out of dimensional pine as a practice piece and tune the skills. Once I felt comfortable I was going to use hardwood.
  4. Grit12Gauge

I’m new to woodworking and have a novice skill set. I had an awesome idea pop in my head, so I watched YouTube and learned how to use sketch up. I made the piece but not sure if the base of this “dresser” type piece will work. HELP!!! Do these joints make sense and how should I attack this?
  5. Grit12Gauge

Hollow Chisel Mortiser or Domino Jointer

I enjoy the challenge of cutting and making mortise and tenons by hand, but I’m a perfectionist and I have a lot of slop in the joints. I would love to be able to make perfect M&T joints and have looked into a stand alone hollow chisel mortise machine and a festool domino jointer. I know both...
  6. Grit12Gauge

Rough Sawn Lumber near Fayetteville

Thank you all for the input. I am going to check out all of these sources. This community is top notch and I cannot say enough good things about the help I have received.
  7. Grit12Gauge

Rough Sawn Lumber near Fayetteville

Table Saw✔️ Planer✔️ Hand Planes✔️ Router✔️ Sander✔️ Wood✖️ I am like a kid on Christmas. Tools are in, tuned and ready to go. All I need is some material. I am looking for some rough sawn hardwood lumber near Fayetteville/Hope Mills area.
  8. Grit12Gauge

Jointer then Planer or vice versa?

You selling the others?
  9. Grit12Gauge

Jointer then Planer or vice versa?

Working on purchasing more equipment for my shop and initially I wanted to get a jointer then a planer. First off, is this the correct purchase order? After doing countless hours of YouTube research and not finding answers, I ask the question.... do I really need a planer if I’m getting a...
  10. Grit12Gauge

New Chisel Sharpening?

Thank you Mike! I will give that a go!
  11. Grit12Gauge

New Chisel Sharpening?

Top is a new 3/4inch chisel from the set Bottom is a 1/2inch chisel I have spent and hour flattening the back. I can’t seem to get those scratches off the chisel and get to the “mirror finish” I hear everyone talking about. Any suggestions?
  12. Grit12Gauge

New Chisel Sharpening?

A Trend 300/1000 diamond stone and a cheap 15$ honing guide from amazon.
  13. Grit12Gauge

New Chisel Sharpening?

Wow. I bought the stones before the chisels knowing it’s all about sharpening. Thanks for the video referral!
  14. Grit12Gauge

New Chisel Sharpening?

Gotcha! I purchased a 300-1000 stone and a honing guide. Would you suggest a higher grit than 1000 for getting those chisels perfect?
  15. Grit12Gauge

New Chisel Sharpening?

New to woodworking and just received my first set of chisels. I purchased a 4 piece Stanley sweetheart set. They are relatively sharp out of the box, but am I suppose to flatten the back and sharpen these chisels as soon as I get them?
  16. Grit12Gauge

Beginning Young Woodworker in NC

No doubt! Luckily I had a favorite wood bat I used when I played so after a lot of measuring with a caliper, I had a nice template to go by. Hand turning took about 8-10 hours a bat but after a while, I got smart and attached a “copy cat” jig to my lathe.
  17. Grit12Gauge

Thank you! I appreciate the words of encouragement.
  18. Grit12Gauge

Hello all! James Pearce, 26, from Greenville NC now living in Hope Mills NC. I have recently gained immense interest into woodworking and have started to fill my shop with tools. I started woodworking by turning high quality baseball bats and actually sold some to minor league ball players. I am...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS