Search results

1. M

Nova 1624 bearings

I followed instructions. I may have ended up with either a defective or fake. Reordered NTN from grainger. Fingers crossed
  2. M

Nova 1624 bearings

Thank you. I reached out to nova for the correct part before I ordered, so that rules out the part issue
  3. M

Nova 1624 bearings

Hi. I changed the headstock bearings on my nova lathe. The bearings are the correct size and the lathe runs true and smooth now. The issue I am having is that the bearings got so hot that the chuck was too hot to touch. The bearings don't spin much when spun by hand. I cleaned the bearings a...
  4. M

2021 Raffle Prizes - Master List

Thank you for putting this together. Nice prizes
  5. M

Anyone with experience stabilizing wood?

Oh yeah. The vaccuum chamber can also used for degassing slow curing resin for bubble free results
  6. M

Anyone with experience stabilizing wood?

Chris. I stabilized wood all the time for woodturning. 1. You need a thick wall pot, but I've built a vacuum chamber from pvc pipe because the pot I have is too short. A smooth rim is necessary for the lid to seal tight. 2. You need a vacuum. Not a pressure pot. Those are all over Amazon and...
  7. M

Brite tone instrument finish

I have a mix of beeswax and mineral oil and another with beeswax + caranauba +mineral oil....mostly my go to What does the acetone achieve with the poly?
  8. M

Brite tone instrument finish

Hi. I saw a few youtube videos with woodworkers finishing guitars with Brite tone high solid poly. Has anyone used it for woodturned items? I would mostly use it for duck/deer calls. How durable is it? I currently use a bee/caranauba or spar urethane but always looking for "better" finishes...
  9. M

Late Christmas gift. Better late than never

First finished project of the year made for a friend restoring an austen healy. Used a hood ornament and recessed it with resin. Added some designs to the inside of the lid (robert sorby tool) Red cedar finished with bees and caranauba wax.
  10. M

Optimum height of lathe?

I just set up my "new to me lathe". Had to build a riser as I am vertically challenged. I am set up with elbow bent at 90 degrees when holding the tool. It is most comfortable for me. Turned for 5 hours today without back or shoulder fatigue.
  11. M

Wood rings - finish

Both processes. I wanted to make a couple for my etsy shop. The ones I have made for my daughter were finished with bees wax, but looking to get the "best" finish for customers
  12. M

Wood rings - finish

Quick question for those who make and sell rings. CA finish or bees/caranauba/oil mixture. I use a CA finish on pen, but they always look "plastic-y". I would prefer a natural wood finish, but I am concerned about durability. Thank you.
  13. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Just brought it home... now to reconfigure the garage. Thanks all
  14. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you Sam. I just found it this AM re: 1.25x8 while reading some specs. Will be grabbing a couple of adapters. My current midi requires belt changes, so not optimal,workable for now. Was planning on building a small cabinet underneath it for tools and blanks. Maybe I will build it and...
  15. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you. Yes I am aware this is a full size with an extension. I was initially looking for a midi for price and space reasons... but for this price, I will make room for a full size lathe. Going to see it tomorrow. Fingers crossed for not surprises.
  16. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

I am in monroe, nc.. close to the sc border
  17. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you all. This is the plan at this point with the bed extension I reached out to the seller. Fingers crossed
  18. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you James. My only concern is room in my _already crammed _ half of a garage.
  19. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Ken. Do we have a discount code with kilingspore for the group? Just curious before I look on the web for general info. Thanks
  20. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Good morning. I am in the market for a midi lathe, and I am looking at the laguna revo 12, but came across the below nova 1624_42 II with extension bed. This is way more lathe than I need, but it is a good value. it seems laguna makes better machine, but what is your experience with the nova...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors