Search results

1. T

cherry question

The first picture makes me also think butternut is a strong possibility...walnut being a close second based on the second picture....maybe a combination? Sawmills tend to throw butternut logs in with the walnut logs since they are similar and it's rare to get butternut in volume, commercially...
  2. T

Resawing / lumber question - having trouble with W Oak

Yes. you would see a fair amount of variance in the moisture content on the faces after resawing in the stressed lumber. I think if it is properly conditioned after drying, the core vs. shell MC should be within 5% of each other. Professor Gene Wengert from Woodweb says case hardening does not...
  3. T

Resawing / lumber question - having trouble with W Oak

It sounds like the wood was not properly conditioned after kiln drying to relieve stress. This is the last step in kiln drying the lumber and is sometimes ignored or rushed...because time is money. When a kiln cycle is done, the core moisture in the lumber will always be higher than the shell...
  4. T

I Think It’s Oak?

Definitely Ash
  5. T

Black Walnut thread

Without a live edge to give some indication, it is nearly impossible to distinguish sapwood from heartwood in a well-steamed Walnut board in the rough. The deeper you machine, the lighter the sap gets. If a supplier puts up a high end grade in Walnut, it is typically focused in on defects. Many...
  6. T

Ash Trees coming down - should I save the wood - Ash Borer killed them

The Emerald Ash Borer chews tunnels in the cambium layer just under the bark. This skirts the tree not allowing nutrients to get up the tree. This kills the tree. Once the tree dies, this triggers other insects/worms that do bore into the depth of dead/dying wood to come feast. In a truckload of...
  7. T

Wood ID

Maybe Afrormosia...
  8. T

Novelty Wood Works Co Union City PA Desk

Noah was like a grandfather to me since I spent so much time at the store when I was young, but my grandfather was his partner, Andy Boythe. At some point in the 80's, I believe Noah bought out my grandfather's share in the company.
  9. T

Novelty Wood Works Co Union City PA Desk

Small world...I was born/raised on a dairy farm in Spartansburg, PA, just up the road from Union City. In fact, my grandfather was part owner of 6&8 Builders Supply in Union City. I spent a lot of time there as a young boy.
  10. T

what kind of wood

I inspected about 25,000 board feet of Ash this week...saw a thousand boards that looked just like that. Last week I inspected about 85,000 board feet of White Oak...didn't see any boards that matched. Similar, maybe but not the same. It's Ash.
  11. T

what kind of wood

No question about it...it is Ash.
  12. T

Chestnut or Oak

Appears to be White Oak. Typically very resistant to insects...that one piece looks like it laid on the ground for a while at some point which would have made it prone to insect attack.
  13. T

Walnut?

Definitely UNSTEAMED Walnut. The steaming process darkens the heartwood and turns the natural golden/yellow sapwood a light to medium brown to lessen the contrast between the heartwood and sapwood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS