Search results

1. L

Tree removal

I have a Pecan tree that is probably going to have to come down. It's pretty large, too close to the house and while it's healthy it's shading my garden space too much. So I need either heavy pruning or removal. It seems to be mostly large branches with a short main trunk. I could probably get...
  2. L

New Lathe and First Turn

Welcome to the world of lathe tool sharpening. The tools you have will work fine if you sharpen them. However the sharpening equipment for lathe tools is not really useful for much of anything else. You can easily spend way more on sharpening than what the tools have cost you. You can learn to...
  3. L

Idle Time during Self Isolation

Grandpa Amu is Chinese. You can tell because he pushes his Japanese hand plane :cool:. I can't do this kind of work because I have too many tools.
  4. L

Jet Spindle Sander Question

Bottom line though is if you are unhappy with now, it will probably always be in the back of your mind that something is wrong with it. You better get rid of it and when you replace it, leave the dial indicator in the drawer. Even though it's obviously defective, out of the goodness of my...
  5. L

If there is any sideways movement to the spindle, the shaft is turning too fast for the indicator to follow it. If you can, turn the spindle by hand, stopping every quarter turn and take readings. Seems to me though, the most important thing would be, is it perpendicular to the table and does it...
  6. L

It looks to me like what you are seeing is bounce from the spinning, round spindle flexing the dial indicator sideways a little. Even so it appears to be not much more that .010". I would say you are worried about nothing. If you're really concerned I'll take it off your hands!
  7. L

Tormek Supergrind 2000 for $150

Small bills are less likely to be counterfeit.
  8. L

Anyone need a 16" jointer?

Too bad that's not a PFS 41ES.
  9. L

Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge

Rocker has this on sale for $120 and free shipping but before I get one, does anyone here have one they want to unload. For a fair price of course.
  10. L

Marking Gauge

That pocket marking gauge is awesome. I know what I'm getting the next time Lee Valley has free shipping.
  11. L

Marking Gauge

Using a combination square to find centers the way he did looks like a lot more trouble than using a marking gauge and probably not as accurate. Very clever though. He even points out how his mortise isn't centered then says he meant to do that (shrug).
  12. L

New turning

Wow, just WOW! There were so many problems to solve in making that. If you haven't already, you should do a tutorial on how to make something like this. I'm not a turner only but if I knew how to make something like that I might be. How many times did you have to start over?
  13. L

Marking Gauge

Do you have and use both of these?
  14. L

Marking Gauge

I have a jig similar to this. Don't you still have to mark the centers?
  15. L

Marking Gauge

I'm usually satisfied with the the results I get marking with a sharp pencil (Erasable!). However, I'm going to be making a lot of loose tenon joints and I need to be able to fairly accurately and repeatably find the centers for those joints and I'd like to be able to do it without a lot of...
  16. L

WTB - Quiet compressor advice

I bought the Harbor Freight Fortress 2 gal. a while back and it's very quiet plus it fills amazingly fast. It's almost continuous duty using an air gun at lower pressure.
  17. L

New rocker

That looks amazing, so much work! Tip of the hat sir.
  18. L

Am I too new to PM?

I experience the same thing, frustrating. Also can't post to For sale/wanted.
  19. L

Circular Saw Dust Collection

I use a circular saw in the shop to break down and if possible make finish cuts to sheet goods. For me it's easier to take the tool to the work when working with large panels. I can get good accurate cuts with minimal tear-out but even though my saw has a dust port I still get sawdust everywhere...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS