Search results

1. BumoutBob

ANY info on Paulownia trees market/buying please!

Here's a different thought--check out the American Chestnut. http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees-1918.Category.html?gclid=COn9mLexhqgCFc1a7AodySPitA
  2. BumoutBob

Natural Gas Heater?

Cracking a window sounds like a good plan. Make yourself an insert with a screened hole to vent a little fresh air in. If the window is in the right place you might be able to pipe a direct vent unit through it. My gas heater is not hooked up yet and I use a kerosene heater --- 23,000BTU...
  3. BumoutBob

Natural Gas Heater?

My gas Co here in Western NC just told me the better gas heater to buy is the direct vent type. The reason stated is that these IR heaters move a lot of air and woodworking dust begins to plug up the small orifices. From what I been reading here, many of of you use this 99.9% type---have you...
  4. BumoutBob

cutting a flue in a woodwind tube

Andy, you might get the job done with needle files. i e Swiss Pattern files The square one in my set is 0.110" sq. by 3" long, tapered.
  5. BumoutBob

Insulating the garage shop--again!!

Been working hard insulating the garage shop and have completed down to the knee wall. This is 2 ft of building block tied to 4 ft of brick on the outside. Gets cold and stays cold, so I want to insulate it. I have decided to use the reflective foil set on furring strips to give me a 3/4"...
  6. Knee wall

Knee wall

cold wall in shop
  7. BumoutBob

Looking for suggestions/help for a TV Cabinet

John, you can do a lot of good things in that corner. First off, you need to determine the size of the HDTV that is going there. This will set the width of the unit, and second it will set the debth from the corner. My Tv is 44" wide and 31" tall. On height, for LCD TVs try to keep the...
  8. BumoutBob

Got a Table saw

If you have another table saw, this one could be set up with a cut-off blade and the other with a rip blade. Just move from one to the other for each type of cut. The fence on this one is not as accurate as some others and can lead to frustrating rip errors. My first saw had a poor fence and...
  9. BumoutBob

Proportion feedback sought - toolchest

Just a few thoughts for you to think about: drawer depth, what are you putting in the box? Will it fill up the drawer so that you can't close them. weight: a 30" X 20" X 17" oak box will be HEAVY when full of tools. Think about some strong handles so you and a buddy can lift/move it. It...
  10. BumoutBob

Phenolic Resin Top

For polishing you might look in the kitchen. First off use some Soft Scrub. Second try Weiman Glass Cook Top cleaner. These are just like sandpaper grits: Comet would be course, Soft Scrub medium and Cooktop cleaner fine. Another way would be to use wet and dry sandpaper with water...
  11. BumoutBob

Phenolic Resin Top

If that phenolic is a laminated cloth/plastic like sheet it will cut with woodworking tools. Probably be best to use carbide. Look at the end grain, if it is like wood grain it is the layered cloth stuff. The cloth can either be linen or canvas. One of the names for it is Micarta. If it...
  12. BumoutBob

Epoxy won't set up

It might be the epoxy I have the same problem with the same epoxy. I glued a column together with it several days ago and the remainder on the card is not absolutely dry yet. I got mine from Ace Hardware here in Hendersonville a week ago. Humidity has been up, but so has the temperature. I...
  13. BumoutBob

220 for the garage?

Nobody wants to jump in on this thread so let me start. If I understand things correctly you have the old dryer 220V line and the stove 220V line. The general problem being to get these lines in the garage where you can connect to them. First of I would say, talk to a local electrician to...
  14. BumoutBob

single pieces of bamboo flooring

Andy, find your local flooring supplier and get him to show you his extra stock. Our local supplier had more wood than you could ever emagin when I went there for some pieces. This appears to be job left overs and broken boxes. It could have been 1000 bd ft, so you will be able to find what...
  15. BumoutBob

tool blade speed

In searching around the net I found this site http://www.elec-toolbox.com/Formulas/Motor/mtrform.htm which provides some motor formulas. The one on torque is the most interesting, it says torque has an inverse RPM component. For the same HP the lower RPM motor has more torque. Since you...
  16. BumoutBob

tool blade speed

My Rockwell lathe had a 1/2 HP Sears on it and it wasn't very strong. We need an electrical engineer to help us with this discussion. One that knows motors. One thing about motors is the flywheel effect. Some of the lightweight motors have just barely enough field to get the job done...
  17. BumoutBob

Arrrggg...I hate hardware!!

Nice work DaveO. I found this link after the problem was solved so I'm not much help. However Whirlpool has a fix for this kind of problem as seen in their new fridges. These have two doors on top and the freezer on the bottom. They have a spacer piece that rides in a cam at the top and...
  18. Fridge1

Fridge1

double door filler cam
  19. fridge2

fridge2

double door filler cam
  20. BumoutBob

Have I sucked the Magic from the Dark side?

Really nice work!!! Did any body else notice that there were TWO(2) bowels in the pictures???? The first picture was a different one from the rest. It has a thicker top band and a very different curve. Is the first one a practice piece?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS