Search results

1. JohnW

musical instruments

I’ve made several acoustic guitars and left inside unfinished. Other builders I know also do not finish inside. But FWIW my BIL is a trained luthier (viola, cello and violin) and never finishes the inside. Outside is always shellac and he wants a very thin coat saying the instrument needs to...
  2. JohnW

The Hardwood Store of NC Status

I hear you Frank but in my case I live in Charlotte and have had zero success in finding a good source for cabinet quality plywood locally. If I were a business, sourcing in Charlotte would be easy. But as a "civilian" buying locally from sources that cater to larger clients is horrible...
  3. JohnW

Just to follow-up. It was my dyslexia issues and not something with the phone systems:oops:
  4. JohnW

Tks Henry, I just tried again and still dead for me. I can call other numbers and my cell is working but, I'm using T-Mobile and heard a report that they have been hacked. May be some kind on issue with that.
  5. JohnW

Been trying to call them for several days but their phone is dead. Anyone know what's up?
  6. JohnW

Need Switch Cover For Delta 10"Drill Press

Grizzly has them in stock. Look up Woodstock D4163 toggle switch on their site. $6.95. McMaster-Carr also has many types of toggle and rocker switches.
  7. JohnW

Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry)

Thanks for the offer Matt but the two thresholds I'm making are wider than your 26.75 long board.
  8. JohnW

Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry)

Anyone know of a source near Charlotte for Jatoba? West Penn, Steve Wall and Hardwood Store typically have it but I only need a few small pieces to make transitional thresholds between tile and wood floors and don't want to drive that far for a few BF.
  9. JohnW

Help-Interior door replacement

Replacing 18 interior doors with new slabs. Spacing on all existing jamb hinge mortices are not consistent so looking for info/advice on an adjustable mortice jig that I could hold up next to existing jamb and adjust for each mortice position. Anyone have experience with something like this...
  10. JohnW

Wood identification please

In California it's somewhat popular to char (burn) redwood to give it an aged look. They use it as shiplap and siding. Some aged spruce/redwoods can look similar to your pic and they are soft. But the char is typically on the outside layer. Can't tell from your pic but it appears like the...
  11. JohnW

Opinion Request on planner

Anyone have good/bad experience with DeWalt DW735 planner? And anyone put a helical cutter head on the DW735? I've seen good reports on here for years but am wondering if it's the same quality since DeWalt is now Stanley Black & Decker owned. Grizzly has the DW735 with helical cutter head kit...
  12. JohnW

Suggestions for finishing salted maple

Wow Matt, that's some good looking banding. I've has success sealing spalted maple using 2 lb cut of shellac.
  13. JohnW

Seeking ideas for table saw out feed table

My outfeed table is on casters and has a 2.5" overhang for clamping and includes space underneath to store shorts. So it functions for storage, outfeed and assembly. I find it very useful to be able to roll it to the middle of shop so I have access from all 4 sides. Makes glue-ups and...
  14. JohnW

Little Box

Curly Zebra Wood looks amazing. Well done Dan.
  15. JohnW

Mother's day frame - cherry and paper cord

That's awesome Bradley. I really like the concept and execution. Thanks for sharing.
  16. JohnW

Cherry Headboard

Thanks Jeremy. My wife thinks I occasionally take too long on a project. Well, now I can show her how long it took you and try to explain that it is normal. BTW, Headboard looks great.
  17. JohnW

Flatbed trailer boards need replaced

I'd stick with white oak. Pine not strong enough to take trailer abuse but that also depends on what you're hauling and how hard you use the trailer.
  18. JohnW

New bandsaw - hurry up and wait.

Congrats on the new BS. You're going to love it.
  19. JohnW

Drum sanders, Jet, performax et al....

Several folks have already mentioned this but I'll highlight it because I've had similar results as you and this really helped. Speed up the feed rate. This advice seemed counterintuitive to me at first but on high sugar content woods like maple and cherry, it helped reduce burning and gum...
  20. JohnW

Black Walnut Floating Top End Table

Love the design and build pictures Jeremy. Like how you arranged the grain patterns. I've had the same issues with epoxy fills. Depending on brand and formulation, epoxy requires special prep before finishing. Consult the manufacturer and see what they recommend. It typically includes...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS