Search results

1. blackhawk

Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

What Mark said is 100% correct about rough, skip planed and fully dressed lumber. 4/4 lumber has to clean up to a minimum of 3/4" after fully dressed, 5/4 cleans up at a full 1", 6/4 cleans up 1-1/4" and etc. For hardwoods, the standard is to saw lumber from the log at 1/8" oversize. So...
  2. blackhawk

Negative rake scrapers?

I have a Carter & Sons negative rake scraper but rarely use it. Sometimes it does help when the wood is being really finicky. I use my standard scrapers 95% of the time. Play around with how you sharpen your scraper. What works for me most of the time is to file off the burr with a diamond...
  3. blackhawk

CNC routing HDPE

A 1/4" bit will help clear chips out better. I generally run at least 120 ipm and 16,000 rpm with a 1/4" bit.
  4. blackhawk

Online Auction in NRV Virginia

These buyer's premiums are getting insane.
  5. blackhawk

Soliciting advice on a workshop expansion.

I just did this with some 8 foot high output fluorescents that I had. The LED bulbs that I bought run straight off 120 volts, so I just had to remove the ballasts and reconnect the wires directly to the sockets. For 4 foot lights, you may just be better off buying new ones. We have a Rural...
  6. blackhawk

Kiln Dried Black Walnut Slabs and turning blanks

Here is the finished table that I made. I still have 2 sister slabs from that same log for sale. Plus, several other kiln dried walnut slabs on my website. If you can't make it to Radford, VA, I do travel to Galax, VA quite often and could meet near there. My mom, lives just 2 miles from the...
  7. blackhawk

New guy from Virginia's New River Valley

Welcome, I am across the river from you in Fairlawn.
  8. blackhawk

How many amp panel for shop?

If you are going to install a dedicated service with its own meter, 200 amp is definitely the way to go. The extra cost is not very much from a 100 amp service. I will caution you on a few things about a dedicated service though. I have one for my detached garage. I am in Virginia, so...
  9. blackhawk

Soliciting advice on a workshop expansion.

I would absolutely run 220 volts to the addition.
  10. blackhawk

Where can I find a Vacuum Kiln Sevice

A "traditional" kiln usually uses steam for heat. The traditional kiln schedule for 8/4 thick cherry goes up to 160F for the final drying step. I have a Nyle dehumidification kiln that is all electric. I never go above 140F in my kiln due to its construction. I just adjust the kiln schedules...
  11. blackhawk

Where can I find a Vacuum Kiln Sevice

What advantage does a vacuum kiln have over a conventional kiln that you think will help? What problems did you see when you tried conventional kiln drying?
  12. blackhawk

Trying something a little different for table legs

I did this back in 2010. I documented it on the ShopBot forum. Here is a link: CNC lathe I spent under $1K back then. It would probably cost more than double that nowadays. I've not used it a whole lot. It works great, but it is slow. Each oval leg took a little over 2 hours to cut out...
  13. blackhawk

I made them on my homemade CNC lathe that I added to my ShopBot.
  14. blackhawk

No, it is a live edge slab.
  15. blackhawk

I am making a walnut coffee table using a slab that I milled and dried. I wanted something different for the legs, so I decided to make them oval. They are 3.2" x 6" and 18"' long. I glued these up from two pieces of 8/4 walnut.
  16. blackhawk

Advice for flattening/repairing live edge table top

To make that joint look good, you will have to rip it along the glue joint and glue it back together. If you have a very good circular or track saw with a sharp blade you can rip it with that and it may joint back up perfectly since the saw will have cut both edges. I would flatten it with a...
  17. blackhawk

Opinions on General Finishes Hard Wax Oil?

Thanks for the links, I had watched those videos, but wanted some opinions from the real world.
  18. blackhawk

Opinions on General Finishes Hard Wax Oil?

Has anyone tried the General Finishes hard wax oil yet? Search I'm building a walnut slab coffee table and I am thinking about using it on that.
  19. blackhawk

Oak mantles

You need to get them out of the sun ASAP. Oak needs to dry slowly to prevent major cracking. They need to be in a shady area with a cover to keep the rain and direct sunlight off of them.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS